• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ozarklander | 2018 DCLB & Trailer build

OzarkLander

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
So, I'll start off by saying I have been snooping around this forum for the past month and a half since I bought my 2018 quicksand. It is DCLB automatic, looks to have spacers up front but other then that pretty much stock. The dealership I bought it from had some 245/70/16 mickey Thompson mud tires on it which was smaller than factory and looked silly. So the first upgrade was tires. I searched the forum and seen the few running the 255/85's and fell in love. I went with the BFG km3 and love the totally new look it gave the truck. I have some RRW sliders on the way and of course a long long wish list. This is my daily driver but only have to drive 3 miles to work. My wife, my daughter and I went on a couple of day trips to the Ozarks the past couple of weekends and the truck did amazing. I do have some video that I will be posting on YouTube but gotta figure out some basic editing skills. I want to say thanks to everyone on the forum for all the knowledge and especially pictures. This has been a great resource for me so far and I know it will be in the future as well. If there is anyone here from Arkansas or stopping thru, give me a shout, would love to go ride or just drink a cold one with ya. Now on with the pictures.
IMG_2418.JPG
The day I brought it home.

IMG_2507.JPG
A comparison with new tires.

IMG_2531.jpg
A nice lookout in the Ozarks.

Will continue to post pics of the build.

Attachments

• IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 128
That’s awesome. I went 255s as well.

Attachments

• 8E49AAD2-392C-4DEF-8EC0-2CDEB7BCE99E.jpeg
    8E49AAD2-392C-4DEF-8EC0-2CDEB7BCE99E.jpeg
    792.3 KB · Views: 116
Our Memorial Day weekend trip.

Attachments

• 037189E4-1EE9-4E72-9001-55CF73678A10.jpeg
    037189E4-1EE9-4E72-9001-55CF73678A10.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • 88676D21-F1F7-4A25-BA5F-5914E1D59AE0.jpeg
    88676D21-F1F7-4A25-BA5F-5914E1D59AE0.jpeg
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 99
  • A08479FA-79AE-4CA4-A63A-936FE9372E66.jpeg
    A08479FA-79AE-4CA4-A63A-936FE9372E66.jpeg
    753.1 KB · Views: 123
Welcome! Good upgrade on the tires, those small ones definitely looked weird lol

So, my dad and I have been working on building this trailer a while now. My dad and his friend were planning on making an Alaska trip in May 2019. Due to the shut down of the Canadian border, the trip got canceled, since that part of the trip was what they were looking forward to the most. That was one reason for the trailer build, the other reason for the build was because my family has been going out and doing the whole overlanding thing. My old truck (2014 Sierra), I built a rack to put a RTT on and we went to a few campgrounds with it. My 6 year old daughter loved it very much and so did my wife. Jackpot I got them hooked! Anyway, back to the trailer. We started looking at videos and pictures online and coming up with ideas. Although I feel like my dad and I could do all of this ourselves, we went and talked to a local welder about our ideas that didn't seem very interested in it at first. We finally sketched out some drawings to give him a better idea of what we wanted. We also told him to do some searching online for some better ideas. We continued to build our relationship with the welder and batting around many many ideas with him until we decided on a design for the frame.

image2 (5).jpegimage0 (5).jpeg

So we went with a 3500 pound axle with an electric brake on it. The main square where the box will be mounted is 4' x 8'. From the tip of the tongue to the back is 13' long. We went with a max coupler stuck into the tube that runs from front of the trailer to the back. Both ends are wrapped so we can use the rear as a receiver hitch as well in case of recovery or any kind of rack if we wanted to. So for the next few weeks my dad and I went back and forth with ideas changing from minute to minute. We decided on this here:

image3 (4).jpeg

image2 (4).jpeg

It got late, there are many other supports to be added. The next pictures show the extra supports:

image5 (1).jpegimage3 (3).jpeg

This is the point to where it is today. The bottom part will be enclosed. Pretty sure we have settled on aluminum sheeting for the floor and sides. We have a local shop that works on and repairs semi truck trailers, also where we bought the axles and springs from, that we visited with about some materials. They showed us around their warehouse where we came across the panels that they use to build the walls on semi truck trailers. It is sheet metal on both sides that sandwiches a composite material in the middle. It is very stout! We decided to use it for the top of the enclosed part since we will be building a rack on top of it below the tent rack. It will be for throwing firewood on or anything else so we figured the stronger the better. Up front there will be a door on each side and a slide out for my Dometic fridge. The back will have a swing out tailgate (similar to a jeep). We will also have a 30-40 gallon tank laying flat right over the axle plumbed to a water heater. I will continue to post pictures of this build here. I will also include a few more pictures here.

image0 (3).jpegimage1 (3).jpegimage2 (3).jpeg

If you have any questions or just wanna bat around some ideas I would be glad to chat. If life wasn't so busy, we would be building ourselves. Really can't wait to get this thing in the dry with the tent on top to get it out in the woods to start making memories with my family in it. On a side note, the welder has totally gotten into this project and is planning on building his family one once we are done.

Found some used ARB skids, full set for $200 look new! Installing tomorrow then next weekend to test them out.

So I got my interior all back together now. Started with the Noico 80mil sound deadening. Did the floor and back wall. Then covered all of that with the Noico heat barrier which is 150mil. I have not touched the doors yet but plan to very soon. So far I am very impressed with how it turned out. After riding for a month with no interior and hearing every noise from the road and the engine, it’s like riding on air. I can barely even hear my mud terrains on the freeway. It’s not a mod I would have done if I didn’t have to gut my interior but now that I have done it, I’ll never have another vehicle without it.

96CC32FB-558E-4B19-8EB8-E3A512D88AAF.jpeg
28646E7A-29C7-4089-AB05-9194F1FB103A.jpeg
5F154A07-7ABE-4985-993F-BFC5F908581A.jpeg

Nice! I did that to my JL with really good effect. You've got me pondering doing it to my taco.

It definitely made a huge difference that I didn’t know that I even cared about.

So I got my interior all back together now. Started with the Noico 80mil sound deadening. Did the floor and back wall. Then covered all of that with the Noico heat barrier which is 150mil. I have not touched the doors yet but plan to very soon. So far I am very impressed with how it turned out. After riding for a month with no interior and hearing every noise from the road and the engine, it’s like riding on air. I can barely even hear my mud terrains on the freeway. It’s not a mod I would have done if I didn’t have to gut my interior but now that I have done it, I’ll never have another vehicle without it.

96CC32FB-558E-4B19-8EB8-E3A512D88AAF.jpeg
28646E7A-29C7-4089-AB05-9194F1FB103A.jpeg
5F154A07-7ABE-4985-993F-BFC5F908581A.jpeg
How was the smell afterwards? Being tar based, I'm a little concerned of the smell and how it deals with heat.

I did this to my previous 2018 jeep JL rubicon. Hot days, cold days, wet days, dry days, worked great and no smell. Really liked the product, definitely decreased the noise in my jeep.

Original link: https://youtu.be/gdwLGb9vGrA

Haven’t been active much here or on YouTube lately. Made a short video of our floating trip from a couple of weekends ago. Go check it out. I’m working on some other videos to get up on my channel I’m trying to get more active.

My pops and I have put our personal trailer build on hold while working on a long time friend of his trailer. This started out as a “sure wish I had a rack on my old trailer” to a full on frame up trailer job. Most of the trailer was built in a local welding shop after hours with my dad hanging out down there over the last several months. Recently the welder had gotten too busy to help out so we brought it all home and my pops and myself built the rack and did all of the finishing touches to it.

ECCAA2FB-81CF-4F54-8EDC-75253B20096F.jpeg25681F31-61A9-4F9D-8BF3-9CF96A0776B9.jpeg6B49CE10-FDBB-49D4-9825-3383CADE4BEA.jpeg

Hard to see your trailer hitch? Hope you are going to have some kind of “articulating off road hitch”
Google - “Lock-N-Roll” …and others that sells articulating hitches…

I had a trailer before…came off hitch when I went into a ditch…almost damge it…lucky i was able to reconnect…

Also my trailer had the same rims and tire sizes…. I did add a spare to the trailer…( 2 spares) that fit both ..
I did put limited straps near the springs , on the trailer, it bounce a lot..and did help..

My lift on my old truck allow me to do tight turns or backing up with a jackknife ..the trailer was able slide underneath the bumper area…life saver…

Nice trailer…!
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to see your trailer hitch? Hope you are going to have some kind of “articulating off road hitch”
Google - “Lock-N-Roll” …and others that sells articulating hitches…

I had a trailer before…came off hitch when I went into a ditch…almost damge it…lucky i was able to reconnect…

Also my trailer had the same rims and tire sizes…. I did add a spare to the trailer…( 2 spares) that fit both ..
I did put limited straps near the springs , on the trailer, it bounce a lot..and did help..

My lift on my old truck allow me to do tight turns or backing up with a jackknife ..the trailer was able slide underneath the bumper area…life saver…

Nice trailer…!
Aloha

Thanks for the compliment. This particular trailer has the lock and roll hitch. The one we are building for ourselves has the max coupler.

88B29729-9FE5-448E-BA2B-A27ED8CEA1E1.jpeg

Update on winch bumper:

Trimmed the inner fender liners, took the flares off until I get the bumper built to know where to trim, and got some brackets tacked up. Still have to gusset the brackets and weld up. Then I’ll start on the actual bumper. Hopefully it turns out looking decent. I have decided I’m going to try and get it smooth enough to color match the truck. 5E78EFB6-5D6B-4887-989B-0092BFB000C9.jpeg
2ADD4914-BE63-4A8B-8180-B1A4F642C703.jpeg

Back