• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

when I need someone to look through pages of information I'm going to call you to do it. ;)

I've been nerding out on that thread hard for the last few weeks keeping up with all the lastest 1.05 news. Spent the previous couple months reading it from start to finish. Might as well share what I learned.

I got my MacBook set up with Windows 10 via Boot Camp for the OVTune install. I didn’t realize it was so simple to do, and it’s completely free. If anyone thought they were gonna have to ask someone for a Windows laptop because you have a Mac, you don’t!

Cant wait to hear how much it helps. Maybe youll be able to hit 100mph again

Did you buy OVTune? If so, how are you liking it? Any bugs?

I know it is on my eventually list, but to be honest, I don't even hate the stock tune as much as most people. It definitely could be better though.
Was just thinking the same thing!

I've been battling in my head if I should just bite the bullet now and jump up to 285's but will eventually want to run 35's myself just not ready to spend money on regearing yet. I want to get my bedrock and RTT set up first along with some pods and light bar before I do other things. Right now I'm on 265/75/16's and it serves its purpose for the moment. Didn't expect to get my lift and wheels so soon.

In the same situation. Would love to jump to 285's but just finally added the Canopy and sliders I had been saving for. Now trying to decide if I should re gear and then get 285's down the road or do it in opposite order.

Mat @Ovtune has stated that once the finalized base tune of 1.05 is out he will be regearing his truck with 4.88's then 5.29's to develop base tunes for both gear sets. Once you purchase the tune you can request a custom tune for no extra charge. All that will be required is a bit of data logging on your part to send in. Once he has developed the base tunes for the gear sets you will also be able to request custom tunes for whichever gears you have. All these custom tunes are at no extra charge on top of the base cost for the tune.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that he is also working on (and pretty far along on) developing a turbo kit for the 3.5.

This guy is worth supporting. I didn't see a point in waiting any longer to purchase. Magnuson dragged their feet long enough and I've pretty much lost interest due to them never relasing any info on their rumored supercharger.

OK, I broke down and ordered the tune. After doing an intake and exhaust the truck is even more annoying to drive for some reason. I think now it's because I can "hear" it being dumb :p
Lol, definitely a justifiable reason! Looking forward to hearing what it will do for 35s and 4.88s.

Just an update to information provided above, at the 11th hour the developer decided to drop the new naming convention so it will have the same name as the stock tune. I just loaded it and don't have a lot of experience on it but right now I'm pretty impressed with what he has been able to accomplish. I wouldn't recommend going to the thread on TW as there's a lot of confusing information and junk polluting the thread, unless you don't mind that kind of thing.

Just an update to information provided above, at the 11th hour the developer decided to drop the new naming convention so it will have the same name as the stock tune. I just loaded it and don't have a lot of experience on it but right now I'm pretty impressed with what he has been able to accomplish. I wouldn't recommend going to the thread on TW as there's a lot of confusing information and junk polluting the thread, unless you don't mind that kind of thing.
There could be such a better way to communicate with his customers than that thread. I mentioned an idea to him; waiting to see his response.

There could be such a better way to communicate with his customers than that thread. I mentioned an idea to him; waiting to see his response.

While I completely agree with you, that thread has taken in a life of its own. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. Unfortunately Mat now has to answer to the thread (in a sense) because so many people are flocking directly there for info. Whatever info that is, be it good or bad, Mat now has to run back there regularly to put out whatever fires have been started since he last checked the thread. I feel for the guy, he's working his ass off.

While I completely agree with you, that thread has taken in a life of its own. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. Unfortunately Mat now has to answer to the thread (in a sense) because so many people are flocking directly there for info. Whatever info that is, be it good or bad, Mat now has to run back there regularly to put out whatever fires have been started since he last checked the thread. I feel for the guy, he's working his ass off.
Agreed. Although, and this is to my surprise, he just replied to my proposition and loved it! Something is officially in the works.

Agreed. Although, and this is to my surprise, he just replied to my proposition and loved it! Something is officially in the works.

Hell yes. Strong work.

That's awesome because that thread is a trainwreck. I can't believe how grown adults can act like such whiney babies :mad:

That said, this is me waiting for my order to ship :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1546477943153.png

That said, this is me waiting for my order to ship :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1546477943153.png
That's me waiting for mine to get registered. When the box arrives at your house you will have to send an email in to register it, wait for him to reply, then send another email back with some info about your truck, then wait for him to reply to that, then you can tune your truck.

If you already knew that, sorry. But if you didn't, maybe invite a bear lady friend to sit at that table with you cause it's gonna be a while, lol.

I'm guessing the tune would void the warrant. Is that correct? I typically don't care about voiding warranties but they gave me a good deal on the extended warranty for my taco so I don't really wanna void it.

I'm guessing the tune would void the warrant. Is that correct? I typically don't care about voiding warranties but they gave me a good deal on the extended warranty for my taco so I don't really wanna void it.
The developer is currently reccomending you flash your truck back to stock before you bring it in for service that the warranty would normally cover.

The developer is currently reccomending you flash your truck back to stock before you bring it in for service that the warranty would normally cover.
I'm not sure if it's the case with this ECU but I know that with many cars, dealers can tell the ECU has been altered even if it's flashed back to stock.

Sighhhh. Still waiting on 1.05. I apparently got overlooked on the dongless users who received the email

Updated my 1.04-91 Octane OV tune to 1.05-93 Octane tune. What a difference! I originally bought it awhile back for more power and to cure the schizophrenic dance (6>4>5>4>6) trying to go over hills with the cruise control on. I live in Florida and the only hills we have here are called over passes and bridges. The 1.04 tune still downshifted to 4th going over bridges in cruise but with 1.05 it smoothly goes into 5th and powers over the bridge, ie hill. It also stays in 6th going on over passes. I did not want to test it out New Years Eve but like a kid in a candy store I could not wait. My radar detector was constantly going off and I saw a couple cars pulled over so I was careful to only go the speed limit... as I always do. I seemed to have developed an unusual condition. I usually gain 3-4 pounds around Christmas but this time all of the extra weight seems to have pooled around my right foot. Even though I did not exceed the speed limit I got up to that limit much quicker than normal. I have 2 kids who are doctors so I will have to give them a call to see if they can diagnose my unusual condition. The truly amazing thing is that I still got 24.9 MPG after this test drive with my heavy foot so I tend to believe OV that this new tune improves gas mileage by 2 MPG. Mat, you have truly hit a home run with this tune. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Updated my 1.04-91 Octane OV tune to 1.05-93 Octane tune. What a difference! I originally bought it awhile back for more power and to cure the schizophrenic dance (6>4>5>4>6) trying to go over hills with the cruise control on. I live in Florida and the only hills we have here are called over passes and bridges. The 1.04 tune still downshifted to 4th going over bridges in cruise but with 1.05 it smoothly goes into 5th and powers over the bridge, ie hill. It also stays in 6th going on over passes. I did not want to test it out New Years Eve but like a kid in a candy store I could not wait. My radar detector was constantly going off and I saw a couple cars pulled over so I was careful to only go the speed limit... as I always do. I seemed to have developed an unusual condition. I usually gain 3-4 pounds around Christmas but this time all of the extra weight seems to have pooled around my right foot. Even though I did not exceed the speed limit I got up to that limit much quicker than normal. I have 2 kids who are doctors so I will have to give them a call to see if they can diagnose my unusual condition. The truly amazing thing is that I still got 24.9 MPG after this test drive with my heavy foot so I tend to believe OV that this new tune improves gas mileage by 2 MPG. Mat, you have truly hit a home run with this tune. Thanks for all of your hard work.
Great feedback! I’m so hyped.

I registered mine last night, just waiting for the final email now.

Great feedback! I’m so hyped.

I registered mine last night, just waiting for the final email now.

be patient, he took 3 days get back to one of my emails.

Just installed 1.04, as I have a manual and am waiting on 1.05.
2018 Sport, Manual, 4x4, Short bed
58xx mi as of this date.

1.04 is still a massive difference for manual transmission driving!
Dyno sheets are one thing, but after driving around it really makes sense how massive a difference having low-mid range power makes. A few things that blew me away;

On the highway 2500-3000 RPM, hit an incline AND want to accelerate, normally I would have downshifted, but you can just hit the gas.
Say a downshift would have brought my RPM up to 3500-4000 RPM, with the OVTune the truck makes MORE power at the 2500-3000 then it would STOCK at 3500-4000 (check out their dyno sheets!)

Going from a stop, STOCK I found myself bringing the truck up in RPM prior to letting the clutch out at all a second or two before I would intend to pull out, the low end power mixed with the linear throttle response makes it much closer to what I expect. I am able to hit the gas, RPM comes up quickly and at A LOWER rpm, I have enough to move. This makes driving much more enjoyable/less frustrating when I want to start going quickly.

My truck is WAY more peppy, willing to go, and easier to drive. I’d recommend this to everyone.

Last edited:
Received my kit in the mail yesterday and got the email back with the registration for my laptop today already. At the next step, I realized my truck is an early 16 and was still on the 04B01 calibration even though I asked the dealership to handle the TSB at the last service. So now I have to get that taken care of because OVTune isn't compatible with 04B01.

Oh, how I love dealerships (n)

Received my kit in the mail yesterday and got the email back with the registration for my laptop today already. At the next step, I realized my truck is an early 16 and was still on the 04B01 calibration even though I asked the dealership to handle the TSB at the last service. So now I have to get that taken care of because OVTune isn't compatible with 04B01.

Oh, how I love dealerships (n)
That’s what I thought was gonna happen back when I went to the dealer for the TSB. I’m not surprised at all. That sucks.

Did you feel like the TSB made your truck better (placebo)?

Back