• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Overlanding Build

Marvin Lazaro

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Hello everyone! I am planning on starting on my build and need some suggestions and ideas moving forward. The truck will be mainly use as an overlanding and light off-roading vehicle for me and the family with a RTT to start and eventually pulling a teardrop style trailer in hopes to start using the truck by this summer. My question is where should I start my build. Can I get away with stock tires and suspension or do I need to upgrade right away? If it helps, I am in Washington state. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks

Suspension
Tires
Lights
Front bumper and Winch
Recovery gear

I vote winch first.

CBI’s front hidden winch bumper is a great and cost effective option. Pair it with a smittybilt h2O 10k winch and you’ve got recovery for about $1000.

Which truck do yo have? A trd pro is different than an sr5 or a limited. All of them are pretty capable stock, but you’ll need to think about where you’re going and what level of off roading you want to do.

For overlanding and light offroad I don't think you will ever need a winch. Add some simple recovery gear--snatch strap, shovel, tire kit and compressor--and drive it as is. You'll figure out if you need any mods. Unless you have money to burn don't feel the need to buy a bunch of exposexual crap just for the look.

@Biohazard - thanks for the idea, i definitely want to get bumper and a winch...i just want to be strategic with limited finances. I have the off-road and mostly more for overlanding with the family and light off roading when necessary. thanks

Attachments

• 1591810014619.png
    1591810014619.png
    122 KB · Views: 69
@kwill - I definitely want to only add the necessary mods or gear that i would need since it is also my daily driver. Any recommendations on good recovery gear brands as well as compressor? thanks

So I have had 6 off-road/daily drivers. Two Jeep xj’s, a 4Runner, a Tacoma, a Jeep rubicon, and now my trd pro taco.
All except the 4Runner had winches on, and two got stuck before the winches were added. Got stuck for 7 hours in some deep snow one time in the JLUR, and was forever cured of not having a winch.

Maybe it’s just me, but knowing I can just winch out of the rut, over the whatever, or up that hill I just came down gives me the peace of mind to explore and enjoy without another vehicle around.

Where at in Washington are you at?
in Washington state I would say a winch is pretty important. I am also up here in wa and it’s so dense that the ground takes forever to dry so it’s always muddy And there is always left over snow. I would say the basic suspension with tires are important. I would slap the winch on the list but not at the top

You don’t need the best of the best suspension to get through.
you can go with the basic 5100s by bilstein and a simple aal and some ucas to start.

@Jay - that's actually true with Washington grounds, they do stay soggy and wet especially since we have a lot of trees in our areas. I am over on the western Washington area. So you are saying to go start with basic suspension and tires as a starting point. I am curious how much do normal suspension normally run? thanks

@Jay - that's actually true with Washington grounds, they do stay soggy and wet especially since we have a lot of trees in our areas. I am over on the western Washington area. So you are saying to go start with basic suspension and tires as a starting point. I am curious how much do normal suspension normally run? thanks
700-4000. Just depends on your budget

@kwill - I definitely want to only add the necessary mods or gear that i would need since it is also my daily driver. Any recommendations on good recovery gear brands as well as compressor? thanks
ARB Dual is what the cool kids like but I prefer Viair compressors. Yankum ropes are good value. Get a decent, long handled shovel from Home Depot or the like and a tire plug kit from any auto parts store.

Back