• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Overland build

Hilbillydaddy

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got back from deployment and was surprised by my wife with the new 2021 Tacoma off road 4x4 6spd manual army green taco. I’ve been trying to get into the overland scene and am currently stationed in Southern California. I’m looking for advice on some beginner places and what are some good start up mods?

I'd highly recommend using the search function on here, and doing a whole bunch of reading.

Build threads are gonna be your friend here. Find a few that are doing the type of wheeling you want to, and study them. Rig of the Month would be a good way for you to find some good build threads, and here is the intro/build thread forum ordered by views

Ask a “beginner” question, get a serious answer thread is good, mostly "how big tires can I fit?" and "what do you think of this lift?" questions and well worth a read for ya

First off, welcome home. Secondly, the most common mod to do first is a lift and new tires. You can’t travel off road without good grip and you can’t fit tires that provide good grip and clearance without a lift. Personally I like BFGoodrich KM3 285/70 on a 17in Rim. Also be aware that because of COVID everything is on back order. So you are going to be waiting forever for your shocks, bed rack, etc. Download OnX off-road and Gaia GPS. OnX will provide you with information on local trails and give you difficulty ratings. With Gaia you can download GPX files from websites or other people that will allow you to follow trails that they have driven in the past. Good luck!

You can’t travel off road without good grip and you can’t fit tires that provide good grip and clearance without a lift.

I disagree strongly with this statement. The stock tires are shit and will need to be replaced but a lift is NOT necessary for 99% of people out there. Most people just get lift and tires for the looks AFAICT. Overlanding does not require a lift. I would suggest a canopy though.

I disagree strongly with this statement. The stock tires are shit and will need to be replaced but a lift is NOT necessary for 99% of people out there. Most people just get lift and tires for the looks AFAICT. Overlanding does not require a lift. I would suggest a canopy though.

My statement about the lift was just coming from my belief that a wider, taller tire is going to give you the traction, breaking and clearance for the terrain you are going to run into here in the southwest (sand, rock, etc). IF he decides on a wider tire, I am unaware of a way to fit them (without rubbing) on a Tacoma without a lift and/or CMC

Hey everyone, I just got back from deployment and was surprised by my wife with the new 2021 Tacoma off road 4x4 6spd manual army green taco. I’ve been trying to get into the overland scene and am currently stationed in Southern California. I’m looking for advice on some beginner places and what are some good start up mods?
Retired military in SoCal here. They're a lot of fun places. I don't know exactly where you're at if you're in San dog or somewhere else but check out Palomar Mountain truck trail. Good beginner trail. As for dispersed camping look up yellow posts in San Bernardino Mountains

My statement about the lift was just coming from my belief that a wider, taller tire is going to give you the traction, breaking and clearance for the terrain you are going to run into here in the southwest (sand, rock, etc). IF he decides on a wider tire, I am unaware of a way to fit them (without rubbing) on a Tacoma without a lift and/or CMC
I honestly don't think wider tires are benefit except for sand maybe but airing down is. Elongates the tread for better traction. Wider tire in mud/snow anything like that especially an all-terrain you're just gonna sit and spin. BTDT

I'd highly recommend using the search function on here, and doing a whole bunch of reading.

Build threads are gonna be your friend here. Find a few that are doing the type of wheeling you want to, and study them. Rig of the Month would be a good way for you to find some good build threads, and here is the intro/build thread forum ordered by views

Ask a “beginner” question, get a serious answer thread is good, mostly "how big tires can I fit?" and "what do you think of this lift?" questions and well worth a read for ya
I would agree for everyone else but anyone that comes off a deployment wants answers immediately to get the hell out of here. Been there done that

Here's a suggestion: How about learning how your new vehicle performs, and works in different situations, and from there you can make a"grocery list" of what you would like to add/modify based upon your desires, intended travel plans, and style. There are a thousand ways to part with your money on great things to add on to your Tacoma, but learn about what you have, and what you can, and cannot do first.

Let me add: I am in the same situation as you (new TRD Off Road Tacoma owner as of August), but taking my time to do, as I write. Good luck, and enjoy!

Back