• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

For those of you interested in OVTunes... it's no longer available to purchase for Tacomas. He is working on making the software to do so available for you. There are way more details to it... but flash kits are no longer available from the company. This sucks.. because I was literally saving up for it and had enough 3 days after the last kit was sold...

For those of you interested in OVTunes... it's no longer available to purchase for Tacomas. He is working on making the software to do so available for you. There are way more details to it... but flash kits are no longer available from the company. This sucks.. because I was literally saving up for it and had enough 3 days after the last kit was sold...

Reading up on his new concept I think it'll work out in the end. It sounds like he'll still have base tunes that people can either just load and go, or tune further to their own spec.

Reading up on his new concept I think it'll work out in the end. It sounds like he'll still have base tunes that people can either just load and go, or tune further to their own spec.
Where can I read up about these changes? Is he still going to be making tunes for Tacomas?

I don't think he will be making tunes...but it's a software that will allow the user to tweak it or set it how they want. I don't want to be that guy to say it but I know Matt (OVTunes) has tried to explain it on other forums and I think of the FB page.

I have never used OVTunes and know nothing about that so I'm rather lost. I have read that it will still be user friendly. May check out the FB page. I'd copy the link for the TW forum where its talked about in detail...but it's an absolute crap show and cry fest.

So it's tough to explain because we have yet to see how it's implemented.

He still plans to release a final 2.0 version of the tune.

He will no longer sell full flash kits, mostly referring to no hardware.

He has been developing and is almost done developing a system that allows the end user to further tune the truck themselves to whatever they want. Supposedly it's pretty intuitive but who knows right now.

From what I can tell, the new version he will offer will allow you to tune the truck further from what appears to be a base tune. So from what it sounds he'll be offering his finalized base 2.0 times and users can fine tune them however they like after that.

RyanDCLB summed it up pretty good on the other site...

2.0 is near ready for 2016 to 2018 with multiple versions for each year (Gears, tires, etc),

2.0 for 2019, and subsequently 2020, are in beta testing phase to clear up issues that 10% of the 2019's had (2020's, because they share the same files),

All OVTune Flash Kit customers (2016 to 2020) will receive the latest 2.0 tune, but this tune has not been released yet,

OVTune business strategy is phasing out Flash Kit, and replacing it with a different tuner all together, VF Tuner,
VF Tuner will be the new tuning software moving forward, but only minor details have been leaked/released regarding licensing, example maps, shared maps, additional ECUs, etc.

Official Details for VF Tuner will be released when the product is released, and, like any software that's in "dynamic development phase" (including the current Flash Kit), updates and adjustments will happen as necessary (we shouldn't expect a "turn-key" product - this isn't Amazon),

Existing Flash Kit customers can upgrade their license to use the VF Tuner (or not), but new customers will no longer be able to purchase Flash Kits (only VF Tune moving forward),

O.G. USB dongle owners are encouraged to trade in their dongle for regular Flash Kits because "time-consuming duplicate files" need to be made up for a small amount of dongle owners,

While it was a good idea, Handhelds ran into a roadblock because of manufacturing and software companies outside OVTune's control, and customers are encouraged to trade their handhelds for regular Flash Kit licenses,

COVID19 has majorly impacted Licensing, Handheld Development, and Sales. Releasing final 2.0 and transitioning into VF Tune is the business decision that OVTune made considering all the circumstances.

Yep...its a waiting period right now. He has voiced several times about how the pandemic has directly and indirectly affected his business.

People are getting impatient because they only care or think about themselves. He is better than me because reading peoples complaints and whining they way some have in forums...I'd just be like...bye.

Either way...from what I've read...I dont know of anyone who has been truly unhappy with his product. I trust that the next stage will still be awesome and something we can all truly benefit from (in terms of our tacomas).

So from my quick research, this doesn’t seem like a bad transition at all. Honestly looks like it could make tuning even better for these trucks. The VF tuning sounds cool and I’m sure some folks will be making great custom tunes in no time. And sounds like it will be quite user friendly for new to tuning type of folks like me. Anyone complaining seems like they’re either lazy or just an ass lol

Bahaha I know. Sometimes reading TW forums are a good laugh. I know the majority arent that way and ive learned a lot from the forums.

I think what makes me nervous is...I know nothing about tuning. So I'll stick to what Ovtunes includes in the VF... hoping it'll be that easy.

Bahaha I know. Sometimes reading TW forums are a good laugh. I know the majority arent that way and ive learned a lot from the forums.

I think what makes me nervous is...I know nothing about tuning. So I'll stick to what Ovtunes includes in the VF... hoping it'll be that easy.
I’m in the same boat. I’m kinda bummed I have to wait again. I hope it will be worth it.

Yeah I don’t know anything about tuning either but hopefully it will be easy to learn and I won’t mess anything up through trial and error if I try to modify them lol

I honestly think that for the majority of people that don't want to, there won't be a ton of tuning to do. I have a feeling it's going to be the base tunes that he has already releasing with the old style cable and dongle users. Basically exactly what I have on my truck right now and once released the final 2.0 version. I believe those will be the base tunes used for the end user to tune further as they see fit.

I honestly think that for the majority of people that don't want to, there won't be a ton of tuning to do. I have a feeling it's going to be the base tunes that he has already releasing with the old style cable and dongle users. Basically exactly what I have on my truck right now and once released the final 2.0 version. I believe those will be the base tunes used for the end user to tune further as they see fit.

how do you like the base tune?

How long does it usually take to get a reg key? Long story short I originally got the open flash hand held but they later found out it didn’t work on 2018’s. So after months I finally got it exchanged for the flash kit and sent a reg key request two weeks ago. Just eager after all this time.

how do you like the base tune?

I dig it. The tune is way better than factory. Power is more linear and transmission shifts are much more predictable and consistent. The difference between base and the performance tunes is mostly holding gears a bit longer and a bit more aggressive tip in and acceleration.

How long does it usually take to get a reg key? Long story short I originally got the open flash hand held but they later found out it didn’t work on 2018’s. So after months I finally got it exchanged for the flash kit and sent a reg key request two weeks ago. Just eager after all this time.

Mine took about a week, but that was 2 years ago. If send him another request as he can occasionally get overwhelmed by a flood of tickets and miss emails. His last bcouple of weeks have been pretty busy, so that may explain why he missed it.

Does anyone know of they are still sell/making the kits/tunes

OVTune is not selling flask kits at this time. Meaning no cables/connections. They are currently in the process of transitioning to a new style of "tuner" as compared to their previous "tunes." These should be available shortly and it has yet to be seen how it will fully be implemented. It does sound pretty cool though.

Is the 04861 2018 2.0 beta available for 5.29’s somewhere? I don’t see it on the public page.

Is the 04861 2018 2.0 beta available for 5.29’s somewhere? I don’t see it on the public page.

Pretty sure he's only selectively released the 5.29 Beta to certain individuals for testing. Whether 04861 was in the testing group, I'm not sure.

I just did the 2.0 FOB for 91 oct its great!!
I've been on it for a few days and finding it to be a huge improvement. I am having that stumbling ignition others have reported but supposedly there will be a fix this Friday.
I'm curious what the "tune packs" will look like with the new VF software. I have no intention of creating my own tune but may upgrade to the VF software if the tune packs add functionality.

Back