• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

OVTune VF Tuner | OVTune - Tacoma ECU flash tune options and feedback

Let us know what your impression is.

I will keep you posted. I'm just waiting for OV to get back to me with an invoice so I can pay for the license and get going. I'm really impressed with the hardware, case, and packaging, super high quality, and everyone is raving about the performance, so yeah!

I haven’t done much. Just ditch lights, grill lights, and tires. Was hoping to do the tune before I go too much into it.
Cool - I'm taking off the predator steps and adding some sliders- and a rear bumper at some point since I just put a ding in the stock plastic one! : ( oh well gotta pay to play! I paid for the license just waiting to proceed with OVtune! It sounds like a great improvement.

You still have to buy the license $325.00 Each license is registered to a specific name/email can't be transferred- at least that is my understanding and what Mathew from OV tune says.

Anyone on this thread have experience with 4.88 gears paired with the OVTune? I had re-geared the truck back in December and it just seems bogged down. I was hoping just the gears would help with the performance since I’m not running a heavy truck. Thanks in advance.

Anyone on this thread have experience with 4.88 gears paired with the OVTune? I had re-geared the truck back in December and it just seems bogged down. I was hoping just the gears would help with the performance since I’m not running a heavy truck. Thanks in advance.

I have 5.29's and OVTune. When I installed the gears I already had the performance (factory gearing) OVTune. With the 5.29's and the OVTune programmed for factory gears I was underwhelmed. I then loaded the 4.88 tune and the gears came alive a bit more. I am now testing his beta 5.29 specific tune and it's much, much better. The RPMs in each gear are much more in sync with the gears themselves. If you're not tuned already, you're missing out on plenty. The factory software is terrible in the first place and the base OVtune for factory gears will be a huge improvement. The 4.88 tune will be even more so.

I have 5.29's and OVTune. When I installed the gears I already had the performance (factory gearing) OVTune. With the 5.29's and the OVTune programmed for factory gears I was underwhelmed. I then loaded the 4.88 tune and the gears came alive a bit more. I am now testing his beta 5.29 specific tune and it's much, much better. The RPMs in each gear are much more in sync with the gears themselves. If you're not tuned already, you're missing out on plenty. The factory software is terrible in the first place and the base OVtune for factory gears will be a huge improvement. The 4.88 tune will be even more so.

Thanks man. Looks like that’s the next mod:). The gears help a little on the MPGs and helps the truck not hunt for gears but I feel it’s more sluggish than before. Hopefully the tune will help.

Thanks man. Looks like that’s the next mod:). The gears help a little on the MPGs and helps the truck not hunt for gears but I feel it’s more sluggish than before. Hopefully the tune will help.

I definitely feel like once the 5.29 gears were in, the truck shifted way to soon with the tune designed for the factory gears. Once I reflashed the ecu with an updated gear specific tune the truck held the gears much better inline with the gearing.

I have OV Tune with 4.88 gears. I can say the combination is awesome. Once I loaded 1.05 and now 2.0 EROM (beta) the truck finally drove with the pep of a new car. Kinda like how it supposed to feel when you buy a new car.

Even with my heavy truck on 4.88 it performs miraculously. I only wish I had 5.29 but it wasn’t an option since I was an early adopter.

TLDR; drives very well. It’s worth it!

I was the same way before I bought it. $700 for a tune? Could it be as good as they say?

Short answer: It’s better than I expected.

You will notice a drastic improvement in acceleration from a stop, passing at 60+ mph on the highway, much better RPMs up hills, much better RPMs in general (under 2000 constantly), much better shifting (always staying in the appropriate gear), actually getting use out of 6th, much better cruise control, and improved gas mileage.

I’ve also regeared, and for me, OVTune provided a more noticeable difference.
Would you regear or OV tune 1st?

Would you regear or OV tune 1st?

In my opinion that depends on what your truck currently has on it for modifications. If your truck is relatively stock then I would do the tune. If you've already got a bunch of weight like a shell, bumpers, and a whole bunch of camping gear on it then I would regear.

All that said I definitely think that anybody that regears their truck isn't getting the true full amount out of it until they tune it.

with the tune did you notice any big MPG changes

Not really. Many claim they do, but mine is way more fun to drive so that's probably hurting my mpg. It certainly didn't get worse.

In my opinion that depends on what your truck currently has on it for modifications. If your truck is relatively stock then I would do the tune. If you've already got a bunch of weight like a shell, bumpers, and a whole bunch of camping gear on it then I would regear.

All that said I definitely think that anybody that regears their truck isn't getting the true full amount out of it until they tune it.
My truck is stock. I am trying to figure out what to do 1st on it as far as mods and it seems the OV tune is makes the most sense before I do gears, suspension, and tires.
I can obviously re-tune the truck as I modify it right? I am far from tech savvy but from what it sounds like the program is not hard to use.

My truck is stock. I am trying to figure out what to do 1st on it as far as mods and it seems the OV tune is makes the most sense before I do gears, suspension, and tires.
I can obviously re-tune the truck as I modify it right? I am far from tech savvy but from what it sounds like the program is not hard to use.

Yes, you can reflash as many times as you'd like with the appropriate tune for whatever mods you mod. So for your stock truck for example you would pick the time for that, then when you regear you can reflash with a gear specific tune.

Seeing all the positivity about the ovtune is making me question whether I should get gears first or not now lol. Considering the large money gap from a tune to gears I might go with the tune first. Any negatives about tuning?

Seeing all the positivity about the ovtune is making me question whether I should get gears first or not now lol. Considering the large money gap from a tune to gears I might go with the tune first. Any negatives about tuning?
I'm in the same boat. I am going to do the tune 1st as advised because my truck is stock. Makes more sense to me to add mods later and retune it as needed.

I'm in the same boat. I am going to do the tune 1st as advised because my truck is stock. Makes more sense to me to add mods later and retune it as needed.
True. Going to probably void the warranty no matter what I do anyways so that route makes sense lol

Any negatives about tuning?
If your dealership finds the tune it will likely void any powertrain warranty. If you run a high octane tune and someone borrows your truck and puts a tank of 87 in it that could be a bad day. Not much beyond that.

If your dealership finds the tune it will likely void any powertrain warranty. If you run a high octane tune and someone borrows your truck and puts a tank of 87 in it that could be a bad day. Not much beyond that.

@mgmyota The good news is there is nothing that shows up when the dealer connects to your ECU that shows you have been tuned. The truck reads like it's completely stock. Toyota's complex factory ECU tuning actually works to our advantage as it makes the aftermarket tune invisible to the dealership scan tools. I've actually checked at a dealership. The only way they would ever know for sure it was tuned, is if you told them.

@mgmyota The good news is there is nothing that shows up when the dealer connects to your ECU that shows you have been tuned. The truck reads like it's completely stock. Toyota's complex factory ECU tuning actually works to our advantage as it makes the aftermarket tune invisible to the dealership scan tools. I've actually checked at a dealership. The only way they would ever know for sure it was tuned, is if you told them.
Shiiit don’t need to tempt me anymore ??

You will notice the tune right away - It takes a bit of back and forth from OVtune but once you get the license it's pretty easy to install. - One thing their software is not compatible w Mac so you will need a PC to install - Luckily one of my kids had an old but still viable pc that I could use. I 've heard nothing but good things about regear as well but if you haven't added a bunch of weight I don't think it's necessary right away-

I bought OV Tune the week I got my truck. I’ve had it over a year with no issues.

I just regeared to 5.29 (and by just I mean I get the truck back Monday) so I’m excited to see the difference.

I really feel that out the gate, OV is well worth it. But once you start modding, gears are a must.

I think they are working on a tune for 5.29's
Yep. He has some.
I have one for my 2019.

Mat actually just stopped selling the main part of the tuning process as he’s shifting the way we tune our trucks. We will be able to tune it ourselves and share tunes we create. it’s going to be pretty cool

Back