OVTune OV tune

• 🤙Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum!
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

FSHNTCO

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
Rolland
T3G Member
#5,548
In my opinion that depends on what your truck currently has on it for modifications. If your truck is relatively stock then I would do the tune. If you've already got a bunch of weight like a shell, bumpers, and a whole bunch of camping gear on it then I would regear.

All that said I definitely think that anybody that regears their truck isn't getting the true full amount out of it until they tune it.
My truck is stock. I am trying to figure out what to do 1st on it as far as mods and it seems the OV tune is makes the most sense before I do gears, suspension, and tires.
I can obviously re-tune the truck as I modify it right? I am far from tech savvy but from what it sounds like the program is not hard to use.

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Onyx
Vendor Relations
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
My truck is stock. I am trying to figure out what to do 1st on it as far as mods and it seems the OV tune is makes the most sense before I do gears, suspension, and tires.
I can obviously re-tune the truck as I modify it right? I am far from tech savvy but from what it sounds like the program is not hard to use.
Yes, you can reflash as many times as you'd like with the appropriate tune for whatever mods you mod. So for your stock truck for example you would pick the time for that, then when you regear you can reflash with a gear specific tune.

mgmyota

T3G Supporter
First Name
Chris
Military
Army
T3G Member
#5,520
Seeing all the positivity about the ovtune is making me question whether I should get gears first or not now lol. Considering the large money gap from a tune to gears I might go with the tune first. Any negatives about tuning?

FSHNTCO

First Name
Rolland
T3G Member
#5,548
Seeing all the positivity about the ovtune is making me question whether I should get gears first or not now lol. Considering the large money gap from a tune to gears I might go with the tune first. Any negatives about tuning?
I'm in the same boat. I am going to do the tune 1st as advised because my truck is stock. Makes more sense to me to add mods later and retune it as needed.

mgmyota

T3G Supporter
First Name
Chris
Military
Army
T3G Member
#5,520
I'm in the same boat. I am going to do the tune 1st as advised because my truck is stock. Makes more sense to me to add mods later and retune it as needed.
True. Going to probably void the warranty no matter what I do anyways so that route makes sense lol

Victory4x4

victory4x4.com
T3G Vendor (Onyx)
First Name
Daryl
T3G Member
#1,346
Any negatives about tuning?
If your dealership finds the tune it will likely void any powertrain warranty. If you run a high octane tune and someone borrows your truck and puts a tank of 87 in it that could be a bad day. Not much beyond that.

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Onyx
Vendor Relations
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
If your dealership finds the tune it will likely void any powertrain warranty. If you run a high octane tune and someone borrows your truck and puts a tank of 87 in it that could be a bad day. Not much beyond that.
@mgmyota The good news is there is nothing that shows up when the dealer connects to your ECU that shows you have been tuned. The truck reads like it's completely stock. Toyota's complex factory ECU tuning actually works to our advantage as it makes the aftermarket tune invisible to the dealership scan tools. I've actually checked at a dealership. The only way they would ever know for sure it was tuned, is if you told them.

mgmyota

T3G Supporter
First Name
Chris
Military
Army
T3G Member
#5,520
@mgmyota The good news is there is nothing that shows up when the dealer connects to your ECU that shows you have been tuned. The truck reads like it's completely stock. Toyota's complex factory ECU tuning actually works to our advantage as it makes the aftermarket tune invisible to the dealership scan tools. I've actually checked at a dealership. The only way they would ever know for sure it was tuned, is if you told them.
Shiiit don’t need to tempt me anymore 👀😂

TacoHog

First Name
Mark
T3G Member
#5,491
You will notice the tune right away - It takes a bit of back and forth from OVtune but once you get the license it's pretty easy to install. - One thing their software is not compatible w Mac so you will need a PC to install - Luckily one of my kids had an old but still viable pc that I could use. I 've heard nothing but good things about regear as well but if you haven't added a bunch of weight I don't think it's necessary right away-

UploadAdventure

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Vendor (Onyx)
T3G Supporter
Need Armor? SOS Concepts. Discount Code uploadadv
First Name
Rich
Military
Army
T3G Member
#5,074
I bought OV Tune the week I got my truck. I’ve had it over a year with no issues.

I just regeared to 5.29 (and by just I mean I get the truck back Monday) so I’m excited to see the difference.

I really feel that out the gate, OV is well worth it. But once you start modding, gears are a must.

UploadAdventure

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Vendor (Onyx)
T3G Supporter
Need Armor? SOS Concepts. Discount Code uploadadv
First Name
Rich
Military
Army
T3G Member
#5,074
I think they are working on a tune for 5.29's
Yep. He has some.
I have one for my 2019.

Mat actually just stopped selling the main part of the tuning process as he’s shifting the way we tune our trucks. We will be able to tune it ourselves and share tunes we create. it’s going to be pretty cool

UnAverage Joe

T3G Member
#5,869
For those of you interested in OVTunes... it's no longer available to purchase for Tacomas. He is working on making the software to do so available for you. There are way more details to it... but flash kits are no longer available from the company. This sucks.. because I was literally saving up for it and had enough 3 days after the last kit was sold...

Top Bottom