• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Opinions Wanted

CapnJack

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Manual
White
Hello - Newby here , Let me introduce myself here.... My wife and I finally took advantage of Toyotas 0% financing and purchased
our first Tacoma - 2020 TRD OR DCSB Manual Tranny.
I'm not a mechanic by no means just an electrician so I carry a different set of tools.
My terminology may not be spot on but I can google.

So here is a brief explanation on what we are trying to accomplish.

We have added a ladder rack to bed.
Will be adding a 75 Lb bumper to the front.
Future Steel bumper possibly to the rear.
Would Like to Stay Stock on Wheels and Tires.
Aluminum Boat 17' will be towed off and on.
No serious Offroading.
We live in the Midwest so Deep Snow in Winter.
Hunting fall and winter - So this truck will see some Dash Cleaners

I have called 3 different Suspension Company and have gotten 3 different
opinions on What we need. Evereything from Just Airbags to Leveling Kits
to Full Suspension Makeovers, to a combination of them.

We would not want to add more than 1" or so of height if we can help it.

What are some opinions on what we should do - Any body else run this same setup?

Sumo shocks get my vote. They are cheap, effective and any idiot can install them. I am proof of the last item. You don't need anything more than that for what you are describing. Put them in the rear and forget about them...just like a suppository.

Last edited:
@Rev N Mind sharing more of your experience with them?

My truck is 95% daily driver with the occasional weekend biking or camping trip. I have been thinking about some sort of suspension upgrades from having the RTT and rack on full time. I'm sure when I'm loaded up I'm sagging even more.

When should you upgrade leaf springs or other parts vs a solution like the sumo shocks? - Anyone feel free to chime in on this part. This is my first truck and I'm sure there are others who could use the knowledge!

Thanks Rev-N........ SUMO Springs ----Another Viable and definitely affordable option

OK - Just caught my mechanic at 7:00 AM going to work and thought I would run it by him...(he should have a clear mind this early)

He suggested we wait with the Sumo or Air Bag setup - His suggestion was do some suspension first and see where that gets me.
So my options are:

1- Take 1/2 Day off work and call the suspension people up
2- Do website research myself
3- Hope someone here can point me in the right direction
4- Give Up (I really did not know the aftermarket world was that big)

@Rev N Mind sharing more of your experience with them?
Thanks Rev-N........ SUMO Springs ----Another Viable and definitely affordable option

I made a video about them:
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0lYHphEmk

It makes towing a lot more stable. Also a lot less body roll. There was a specific bump on the highway I used to go over on my commute that would make my back end go all over the place without them, with them it's smooth sailing. Also, my wife (who I almost never let drive my truck) commented that the truck was much better to drive with them, not even knowing they had been installed.

I made a video about them:
Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0lYHphEmk

It makes towing a lot more stable. Also a lot less body roll. There was a specific bump on the highway I used to go over on my commute that would make my back end go all over the place without them, with them it's smooth sailing. Also, my wife (who I almost never let drive my truck) commented that the truck was much better to drive with them, not even knowing they had been installed.
Great video man. Enjoyed the humor and walk through and review. Definitely something I’m going to consider

Seeing as how your plan isn't to add a ton of weight, and you're also planning to tow a boat, air bags in the rear not a bad idea. They help to stabilize the rear of the vehicle significantly when towing, which is never a bad thing.

Seeing as how you don't plan to do any crazy off-roading, and are leaning more towards the occasional weekend warrior, if you do upgrade the suspension I would consider something like a Bilstein 5100s all around, or 6112s and 5160s. Both are solid suspension options it won't break the bank. They'll increase your comfort on and off road and give you that little bit of lift that you want without going too crazy. Check out our vendor forum for any number of vendors selling Bilstein or comparable suspension systems.

https://tacoma3g.com/forums/vendors-deals-group-buys.17/

Well , Thanks to this site and its members I have solved another problem. I also broke a leaf on a 2000 F350 Service Body truck and am gonna have my mechanic add the SUMO Springs to it. Thanx REV-N

Also thanks to this site I talked to Erik from Archive Garage and he was willing to give me 20 minutes of his time on the telephone
to come up with a game plan for our truck.
Ordered the Hammer Hanger Shackles and Traveler Additional Leaf.
His opinion This will fix the Hanger Flaw and Give Me the added Support.
This would be the first step.
Then possibly add front springs or front springs and shocks or combination front
and rear depending on future weight add ons / towing needs.
I guess I have to pick a game plan and stick with it.

Back