• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

[Official] Valley Tuning Thread

TermLimits

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Authorized VF Tuner
Reaction score
Website
valleytune.com
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Quicksand
Official Valley Tuning Thread
ValleyTune.com

Supported Years & ECU IDs:
2016-2017 (04B04 | 04B14)
2018 (04A61 | 04A71 & A72)
2019 (04B33 | 04B41)
2020 (04B81 | 04B91)
2021 (04C20 & C21 | 04C30)

Current Paid Versions:
Automatic Transmissions: v2.1
Manual Transmissions: v2.1

The Menu

Tune Pricing

1. Valley Runner 2.0 Regular & Premium --- $55
    1. AT Gear Lock Add-On* —-$15
The tune will be calibrated to your vehicle's tire size, gear ratio, and battery type.
Updates will be available for free until the next major number revision on all tune purchases.

*Gear Lock instructions and disclaimer:
Gear lock will render the ECT power button useless. When ECT is activated, you MUST be in S mode to shift the truck manually. While it will not completely rely on user input, the failsafes in the tune should not be used extensively.

Valley Tuning is not responsible for any damage to vehicles related to the use of the Gear Lock add-on.

In order to properly use gear lock:
Activate ECT power
Move shifter over to S mode
Down shift to an appropriate gear
Upshift when the truck reaches an appropriate RPM

It should also be noted that Gear Lock DOES NOT provide any benefit to the truck or tune outside of the user’s own personal driving preferences. Low RPM does not always mean better MPG and less engine stress. 5th gear at 23mph will get you 11mpg while 3rd gear at the same speed will get roughly 16-18mpg.

Keeping the vehicle in a higher gear with more than 35% pedal input will result in a calculated engine load over 70%. Over extended periods of time, this may result in higher knock values and excessive transmission wear.

Professional Installation

1. Tuning services --- $250
If you live within 2hrs of Cleveland, Ohio or are willing to commute to within this range, we can install the tune for you. This includes an update to the latest Toyota TSB files and a functionality test drive of your Valley Runner install.

All files will be sent as a LOCKED .VFC file. Unfortunately the most recent versions of VF Tuner can only export tunes with this extension, if you have not updated your software then a .vfc extension will not work on your vehicle.

About Valley Runner

Valley Runner is a performance oriented, stock based tune with the goal of optimizing fuel economy while maximizing the entire powerband of the 3.5L 2GR-FKS engine.

Each truck running a Valley Runner file typically experiences the following:
  • Smooth and predictable shift points
  • 5th and 6th gear cruising on highways
  • Decrease in time required to reach operating temperature
  • Reduction in idle spiking
  • Low end response similar to a full size truck
  • Improved fuel economy*
  • Increase in available power
  • Ability to pass emissions and safety inspections**

Features in every tune produced by Valley Tuning:
  • Atkinson Cycle compensation
  • Direct Injection optimization
  • Increased throttle response
  • V8 style driving with the 2GR
  • Improved Shifting
  • Improved gear holding at highway speeds
  • Smoother idle
  • 12% increase in real world fuel economy*
  • Additional Smiles per Gallon

The tune is based on OEM CL/OL logic. It features advanced timing with adjusted air-fuel ratios to maintain environmental standards required for inspection in certain states. Atkinson Cycle compensation and improved direct injection yield a responsive low end while reducing fuel wasted by the inherent design of the 2GR-FKS platform. (Don't worry, it still clicks like a stock Tacoma for those who love that sound)

*Fuel economy numbers are based on average mileages reported by test vehicles following one full tank or 350 miles of use, whichever comes first.
*Improvements to fuel economy are compared to factory functionality of the vehicle. Results may vary dependent on environmental or mechanical factors.
**The Valley Runner Tune has passed emissions and safety inspections in North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. If you are concerned about passing standards please restore the vehicle to a factory tune prior to your inspection date.

Legal Stuff:

The Valley Runner Tune product, hereafter referenced as 'the tune', is produced and distributed by Valley Tuning LLC an Ohio registered Limited Liability Company. Any use of this product comes at the consumer's own risk. The company, Valley Tuning LLC, is not responsible for any damage resulting from the use, installation, or attempted modification of the tune or damage which results from mechanical neglect or manufacturer defect of the vehicle. It is the responsibility of the consumer to ensure their vehicle is in proper mechanical condition at all times.

The tune is for Off Road Use Only. It is the consumer's own responsibility to check with their local and state governments regarding the legality of operating a modified vehicle within these jurisdictions. Any and all fines or imprisonments resulting from the illegal usage of off road modifications, including the Valley Runner Tune, are the sole responsibility of the vehicle operator.

Valley Tuning LLC does not make any promise towards the functionality of the tune on any specific vehicle. No refunds are expressed or implied by Valley Tuning LLC regarding any digital product. Any refund to be issued will be done so on a case-by-case basis as determined by the company.

The consumer hereby agrees to these terms upon downloading the tune. If professional installation is requested a separate agreement shall be issued regarding the services to be performed.

ValleyTune.com

Last edited:
Updates will be available for free until the next major number revision on all tune purchases.

Is this when OV updates their base files or when Valley Runner updates from 2.0.x to 2.1.x?

I think I have 2.0.3. Would I need to purchase again for 2.1 or is it included until 3.x.x?

Is this when OV updates their base files or when Valley Runner updates from 2.0.x to 2.1.x?

I think I have 2.0.3. Would I need to purchase again for 2.1 or is it included until 3.x.x?
It’s when we update. You can check and get your 2.1 files from the downloads section of the website once your ECU ID is updated.

3.0+ will end up being a separate purchase, albeit discounted for the returning customers

Hey, just checking if I have the 2.1 update. I bought it about 2 months ago. Looks like the zip file has V2.1 in the name, but the product name is 2.0. Mind confirming for me? Been enjoying the tune so far, so just trying to keep it up to date.

1628771992531.png

Hey, just checking if I have the 2.1 update. I bought it about 2 months ago. Looks like the zip file has V2.1 in the name, but the product name is 2.0. Mind confirming for me? Been enjoying the tune so far, so just trying to keep it up to date.

1628771992531.png
Valley Runner 2.0.
The file itself appears to be updated to 2.1.
Don't think it's going to update the product name until next full version.

Valley Runner 2.0.
The file itself appears to be updated to 2.1.
Don't think it's going to update the product name until next full version.
Correct. Product name will remain the same until the next full version.

Updating the listing name would cause the downloads to not work for previous customers (the system will essentially revoke your download permissions. Its logic works like this: "You bought 'Valley Runner 2.0', these files are for people who buy 'Valley Runner 2.1'"

We've battled this system error for a while on the back end, ultimately deciding to just leave the major revision as the title, smaller updates will be applied on the back end.

*** Information ***

Our company has partnered with Affirm to offer convenient payment options for customers who are on a tighter budget!

This payment option works as follows:
  1. Customer selects the product they want (Pre-Tuned ECU, Tune Option, Professional Tune Pack)
  2. During checkout - Select 'Pay Over Time with Affirm'
  3. Complete the Affirm sign up process, they do not affect your credit score.
  4. Select repayment terms (3mo 0% interest, 6mo, 12mo, etc)
  5. Complete your order with Affirm.
Your order will be completed in our system and products sent out or instantly delivered as usual. Affirm will handle the payments 100% separate of Valley Tuning. You can repay them on the agreed schedule or earlier if so desired.

• How are core returns for ECUs handled with Affirm payments?
    • We receive your core return, verify its operation, and process it into our system. After this, we will complete a partial refund to your Affirm account for the Core charge. If your total financed with Affirm is $550, the $150 core charge will bring the remaining balance down to $400.
    • Your monthly payment will remain the same with them, however you will have a smaller balance to pay off.
  • Is this a viable way to get into professional tuning?
    • Absolutely! We are still looking for individuals to provide tuning services in many markets across the country. If you have the professional version of VFTuner and would like to offer Valley Tuning products, you can simply obtain our Professional Package through Affirm.
----------------

*** Professional Package Changes ***

Those of you who own our Professional/Installer packs, we will be updating and making small changes to how this product and the included appointment page perks work. These changes will positively impact this program for all parties involved.

We will be sending out a terms of service to those who own the installer packages detailing the changes listed below.

1. Due to the ability to finance the installer pack, we will be limiting the number of installers per area. Right now, no single installer competes with another. This will be done in order to prevent the over-saturation of markets, one installer per 200 mile radius and/or region in a state. California, for example, can be broken down into NorCal and SoCal for two installers. Obtaining a third between the two will then limit to the 200mi radius of each.
    1. We are attempting to prevent a future downward bidding war between our installers on price.
    2. This will also help our appointment scheduling as right now many travelling installers are unavailable in areas listed on the website. Requests for those areas go un-served or under-served for weeks or months at a time. Thereby leading to the customer not fulfilling their interest in the tune products.
  2. Installation Appointment Requests made through ValleyTune.comor directly to Valley Tuning for your area will be assigned to you for a $20 fee. We have grown in popularity and receive requests multiple times per day, to where some markets' installers have been provided thousands in business for free. A small fixed fee will ensure that we keep this program alive for everyone.
    1. This fee is meant to help cover our costs as well as provide a continued service to you, the installer, by means of the appointment requests.
    2. Valley Tuning advertises across the nation showing the product and appointment availability to thousands of individuals per week. While we enjoy getting the word out of our company, 93% of requests made through ad campaigns go to independent installers. This fee also helps cover the advertising costs which benefit the installer.
    3. You will NOT need to pay this fee for installations done outside of the Valley Tuning provided Tuning Appointment Requests
These are the only terms being added to the TOS for Professional Installers. Any and all questions regarding this should be sent through the contact us form on ValleyTune.com or you may contact me directly through one of the forums messaging.

-------

As always, thank you all for the continued support as well as patience as we continue to grow and evolve as a company and tune product.

Last edited:
Re-Flashed to Valley Runner 2.1 AGM. On 2nd Tank .

Tacoma 3Gen Tuning - SoCal
Authorized Installer for Valley Tuning - see Valley Tuning Thread
Wake Up your Tacoma with a Valley Runner Tune. 4runner, 2Gen & FJ coming soon
Located in Riverside, Ca. Orange County, Ca. - Serving greater So Cal area.
IG @yotatuner Website yotatuner.com - coming soon

@TermLimits -- hey bud. I got the email from OV that has my master key details and such, so I'm assuming it will be coming in the mail soon. I think I ordered it around 3 weeks ago.

We talked a little on Instagram about this, but I have 37" tires and a very heavy truck. I also have a group 31 AGM battery so I want to add that to the tune. You mentioned you'd have a tune that will work well for that. Or was it that you're planning to create a new tune specifically for me? When I do get the VF Tuner, what will be my next steps with you? About how long do you think it will take for me to receive that tune from you?

Do you want to talk in a private message here? Or continue messaging on Instagram? Use email instead?

Edit: Two more questions...

I currently have the OVTune from before VF Tuner was a thing. Will I need to flash to stock before flashing your tune?

I currently use the premium octane tune. I think I'd prefer to keep using premium, but have you seen any differences with regular vs premium for your tune specifically?

Last edited:
@TermLimits -- hey bud. I got the email from OV that has my master key details and such, so I'm assuming it will be coming in the mail soon. I think I ordered it around 3 weeks ago.

We talked a little on Instagram about this, but I have 37" tires and a very heavy truck. I also have a group 31 AGM battery so I want to add that to the tune. You mentioned you'd have a tune that will work well for that. Or was it that you're planning to create a new tune specifically for me? When I do get the VF Tuner, what will be my next steps with you? About how long do you think it will take for me to receive that tune from you?

Do you want to talk in a private message here? Or continue messaging on Instagram? Use email instead?

I currently have the OVTune from before VF Tuner was a thing. Will I need to flash to stock before flashing your tune?

I currently use the premium octane tune. I think I'd prefer to keep using premium, but have you seen any differences with regular vs premium for your tune specifically?

Pretty sure you can just flash it. I went from OVTune to VF Tuner to Valley Runner.
Just had to download the new VFTuner software.

Pretty sure you can just flash it. I went from OVTune to VF Tuner to Valley Runner.
Just had to download the new VFTuner software.
Hey Tyler.
Jeff @TermLimits will set you up with a Premium or Reg fuel, Tire Size, Right Gearing , your Trans and Pedal Preference. And AGM built in.

Victor
@yotatuner

*** Updates ***

All Tacoma years have been updated to v2.1 at this time.

Please navigate to your account dashboard and the downloads section on ValleyTune.com to access the new files.

Install them the exact same as you would have your original files.

I do not recommend a LV reset since you are only updating from VR to VR. Changes between tune brands should require a LV reset.

------------

Development of Valley Sport is now in full swing. We are close to producing the final product for a select number of trucks to test and provide feedback. Once we reach this point, be on the lookout for an email/message invite to test and provide feedback on the tune.

Testers should be aware that the tune in testing will not reflect the final product unless otherwise stated, you will also be requested to provide more specific feedback as opposed to general driving feel.

------------

Those of you who have 4Runners or friends with them and would like a tune tester for this platform, please message me here or through the contact form on the website with the following:

• Year of 4Runner
  • ECU ID from VFTuner
  • AWD or 4WD model (if not known please message the VIN as well so we can look this up)
4Runners are a unique platform for tuning as they pose different challenges than the 3.5l Tacoma. Along with the fact that transmission shift points, target pressures, shaft speeds, etc are unavailable for tuning at this time; the 4Runner has drivetrain has been in the Toyota lineup for many years with multiple unknown variations between them.

-------------

Thank you all for the patience and support during the update process, we look forward to providing more tune options as well as improving the performance of many other vehicles!

I'll start bottom to top since it'll be easier to answer.

Our latest version is an octane learning/independent file. This means that you are capable of running the truck with regular/midgrade/premium fuel. We have gone this route since some users who were previously premium only fuel, have decided for financial reasons to switch back to regular and/or they have found themselves at gas stations in the past where regular was the only fuel available.

You will be able to flash the tune over OVTune, the tuning process completely rewrites the ECU with the selected tune file. We flash our truck hundreds of times a week when testing new developments and features, there is no need to switch back and forward with the stock file.

Your tune will need to be a custom one, however once you place the order we should be able to get your tune sent out within a day or two depending on the needs of your specific rig. I recommend simply purchasing the 35" tire tune for your specific setup off the website and then reaching out to me here/instagram/email letting me know of your purchase and the order #.

This way all the payment processing is handled by our third party processing company and you also will have a 35" tire file as a backup should you ever get smaller tires in a pinch.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask them here and/or through the website contact form

In this thread I don't see the disclaimer text about gear lock. Is it missing or am I blind? lol

I noticed that I forgot to include that in this post lol. Instructions are as follows:

* Gear Lock Instructions & Disclaimer *
Gear lock will render the ECT power button useless. When ECT is activated, you MUST be in S mode to shift the truck manually. While it will not completely rely on user input, the failsafes in the tune should not be used extensively.

Valley Tuning is not responsible for any damage to vehicles related to the use of the Gear Lock add-on.

1. Activate ECT power
  2. Move shifter over to S mode
  3. Down shift to an appropriate gear
  4. Upshift when the truck reaches an appropriate RPM
It should also be noted that Gear Lock DOES NOT provide any benefit to the truck or tune outside of the user’s own personal driving preferences. Low RPM does not always mean better MPG and less engine stress. 5th gear at 23mph will get you 11mpg while 3rd gear at the same speed will get roughly 16-18mpg.

Keeping the vehicle in a higher gear with more than 35% pedal input will result in a calculated engine load over 70%. Over extended periods of time, this may result in higher knock values and excessive transmission wear.

I'll start bottom to top since it'll be easier to answer.

Our latest version is an octane learning/independent file. This means that you are capable of running the truck with regular/midgrade/premium fuel. We have gone this route since some users who were previously premium only fuel, have decided for financial reasons to switch back to regular and/or they have found themselves at gas stations in the past where regular was the only fuel available.

You will be able to flash the tune over OVTune, the tuning process completely rewrites the ECU with the selected tune file. We flash our truck hundreds of times a week when testing new developments and features, there is no need to switch back and forward with the stock file.

Your tune will need to be a custom one, however once you place the order we should be able to get your tune sent out within a day or two depending on the needs of your specific rig. I recommend simply purchasing the 35" tire tune for your specific setup off the website and then reaching out to me here/instagram/email letting me know of your purchase and the order #.

This way all the payment processing is handled by our third party processing company and you also will have a 35" tire file as a backup should you ever get smaller tires in a pinch.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask them here and/or through the website contact form

I noticed that I forgot to include that in this post lol. Instructions are as follows:

* Gear Lock Instructions & Disclaimer *

1. Activate ECT power
  2. Move shifter over to S mode
  3. Down shift to an appropriate gear
  4. Upshift when the truck reaches an appropriate RPM

Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you. 👍

@TermLimits -- I just ordered the tune. I wasn't sure if you wanted me to order the regular tune or the sport tune so I put in for the regular one.

FYI, I tried to use Apple Pay, but it doesn't work. It needs to you to put in your signature but there is no box to add the signature after clicking the Apple Pay button. The signature box appeared when I tried PayPal.

1630000702745.png

@TermLimits -- I just ordered the tune. I wasn't sure if you wanted me to order the regular tune or the sport tune so I put in for the regular one.

FYI, I tried to use Apple Pay, but it doesn't work. It needs to you to put in your signature but there is no box to add the signature after clicking the Apple Pay button. The signature box appeared when I tried PayPal.

1630000702745.png
I got your order and will get to work making your 37” AGM files tonight.

I’ll have to look and see about the Apple Pay, we require the signature during checkout for the agreement of our policies (digital product that is automatically delivered).

I got your order and will get to work making your 37” AGM files tonight.

I’ll have to look and see about the Apple Pay, we require the signature during checkout for the agreement of our policies (digital product that is automatically delivered).
Thank you! And that’s what I figured, I just thought I’d let you know.

@TermLimits — in the files I got from you, what is the difference between the (light) and (standard) versions?
That is pedal sensitivity. Standard and light pedal.

We always suggest starting with the standard pedal and adjusting to light if the sensitivity is too much

This is my review as of right now:

Unfortunately, moving from the OVTune 2.0 tune to this one was a pretty significant downgrade for my use case and I need to flash back to OVTune when I can (but I don’t have my original file anymore).

The Valley Tune does pack more of a punch when you tap the gas. It feels like it might be fun for mobbing through the desert at 10-30 mph. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’d probably enjoy it.

That wasn’t what I needed though. I was looking for a tune that cruises well at highway speeds and might have better mpg than the OVTune I was using (not because I expect decent mpg with my truck, but spending less time stopping for gas is nice).

Comparing the numbers, the OVTune was better for me— someone living on the road while traveling the country:

OVTune 2.0 city mpg: 11-13.5
OVTune 2.0 highway mpg: 13-15.4

Valley Tune city mpg: 10-11
Valley Tune highway mpg: 8.5-10.3

OVTune 2.0 RPM at 65-80 mph: 2,000-2,500
Valley Tune RPM at 65-80 mph: 4,000 almost constantly

OVTune 2.0 gear hunting compared to stock: Great
Valley Tune gear hunting compared to stock: Poor (similar to stock)

This feedback is based on a very heavy truck (still need to weigh it), 5.29 gears, 37” tires. My truck isn’t meant to have nice numbers to begin with but the tunes are relative and the differences feel huge.

This is my review as of right now:

Unfortunately, moving from the OVTune 2.0 tune to this one was a pretty significant downgrade for my use case and I need to flash back to OVTune when I can (but I don’t have my original file anymore).

The Valley Tune does pack more of a punch when you tap the gas. It feels like it might be fun for mobbing through the desert at 10-30 mph. If that’s what you’re looking for, you’d probably enjoy it.

That wasn’t what I needed though. I was looking for a tune that cruises well at highway speeds and might have better mpg than the OVTune I was using (not because I expect decent mpg with my truck, but spending less time stopping for gas is nice).

Comparing the numbers, the OVTune was better for me— someone living on the road while traveling the country:

OVTune 2.0 city mpg: 11-13.5
OVTune 2.0 highway mpg: 13-15.4

Valley Tune city mpg: 10-11
Valley Tune highway mpg: 8.5-10.3

OVTune 2.0 RPM at 65-80 mph: 2,000-2,500
Valley Tune RPM at 65-80 mph: 4,000 almost constantly

OVTune 2.0 gear hunting compared to stock: Great
Valley Tune gear hunting compared to stock: Poor (similar to stock)

This feedback is based on a very heavy truck (still need to weigh it), 5.29 gears, 37” tires. My truck isn’t meant to have nice numbers to begin with but the tunes are relative and the differences feel huge.
What version of OV2.0 were you running previously?

You might need to reset the learning values and give it a bit to adjust. Typically gear hunting that OV still had is eliminated by VR files. The down low punch sounds about right, but the rpm at highway speeds sounds like 4th gear which isn’t correct.

Most complaints come that the truck will hang onto 5th gear longer than desired and refuse a 4th downshift.

I suggest to try a learn value reset, for best results I have gone through Techstream to do this

What version of OV2.0 were you running previously?

You might need to reset the learning values and give it a bit to adjust. Typically gear hunting that OV still had is eliminated by VR files. The down low punch sounds about right, but the rpm at highway speeds sounds like 4th gear which isn’t correct.

Most complaints come that the truck will hang onto 5th gear longer than desired and refuse a 4th downshift.

I suggest to try a learn value reset, for best results I have gone through Techstream to do this
The version was 35” tires, 5.29 gears, premium fuel.

The rpm— yeah, it’s 4th gear. 5th and definitely 6th don’t have the power for 65+ mph with my heavy truck. But 5th and 6th were useable at those speeds with the OVT.

I’ll look into doing the learning value reset.

The version was 35” tires, 5.29 gears, premium fuel.

The rpm— yeah, it’s 4th gear. 5th and definitely 6th don’t have the power for 65+ mph with my heavy truck. But 5th and 6th were useable at those speeds with the OVT.

I’ll look into doing the learning value reset.
There was a change between OV that made some trucks run worse a while back. I’m not sure if it was before or after the transition to the newer software.

Back