• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Nitrogen Filled Tires

Freebird

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.venturerider.org
2022 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
Do any of you use Nitrogen in your tires. When I picked my new truck up a little over a week ago, nitrogen filled tires was one of the extras they tried to sell me. I refused, like I did for all the extras, but they really tried to sell me on it. In the end, they realized that I wasn't going to buy it and then confessed that they had already filled the tires with Nitrogen so I could just have it for free. I've heard of some people demanding that it be removed but never understood that. No reason to have it removed. I will use air if I have a low tire. It does no harm to add air to nitrogen filled tires. All that will do is diminish, and if done often enough, completely negate any benefits of having the nitrogen.

I believe the only benefit is how consistent the pressure stays during hot and cold weather. Where regular air fluctuates dependent on weather.
So maybe sell it as better even tire wear over time.

Agree with @bonifacio
It does allow for less variation in pressure, but totally needless if you don't mind seasonal variation. I'm airing up and down four or five times yearly, so it wouldn't make any sense for me.

Good old air is about 78% nitrogen. Seriously, do you thin 100% nitorgen would make a difference. There was a gimick years ago about using helium in tires. It weighs less than air so it reduced your rolling weight.

Or to put it in a more common sense, it's like buying bottled water. That's the biggest ripoff ever fobbed off on the public.

Good old air is about 78% nitrogen. Seriously, do you thin 100% nitorgen would make a difference. There was a gimick years ago about using helium in tires. It weighs less than air so it reduced your rolling weight.

Or to put it in a more common sense, it's like buying bottled water. That's the biggest ripoff ever fobbed off on the public.

I mean technically... I'm paying for the convenience of bottled water. I work late and I'll usually grab a bottle or two to take upstairs. Don't have to worry about coming back down to refill. Helps keep track of how many oz I intake. Sometimes I might find a surprise bottle around the house. This reminds me I should drink water. Can also grab a bottle or two running out the door. Never have to worry about bringing the cup back or cleaning it. Also premeasured amount for the flavored water packets. I think it's $3.50 for 40 bottles. .0875/bottle. Water filter cost $55 for 200 gallons. 200 gallons of bottled water = $164. Now to figure out how many cases of water I go through in x amount of months. 46 cases of water. Let's just say an average of 3 bottles a day. Round it around. Basically $164/year for bottled water. LG Water Filter being $55. Good for 200 gallons or 6 months. $110/year + tax + shipping. $50-$60 price difference is definitely worth the convenience for the year. So the frequency of convenience I get from bottles definitely pays off over the course of 1 year. Consider the amount of time going to get water from the fridge 1-2/times a day, me personally I get distracted but I wont add that time, cleaning the cup, looking for a cup, etc... Then also account for grabbing a snack. I binge eat shit snacks, so increase cost in healthcare and snack budget. Also produces more waste. Won't account for that either.

Let's say on average I spend 2.5 minutes going to get water and cleaning the cup. Then guessing for just half the year. 187 days. We know the actual number is more.
Let's average saving 2 minutes a day for those 187 days to utilize and pay for bottles.

That's 561 minutes in a year. It comes out to $5.88/hour to not leave bed and clean a cup for 9 hours out of the year.
That's a steal for a quality of life convenience. So... I don't think you could compare bottled water to nitrogen filled tires.
Unless you're talking about pure natural water harvested from 15,000 year old North Atlantic icebergs bottled in a frosted glass costing .49/cents an oz by the time it reaches your lips.

Now... the only issue is I get the bottled water for me and my dog gets filtered water. I just can't win.

If I remember correctly, Costco uses nitrogen to fill their tires. My thing is this....if you dont evacuate all of the air that is already in the tire when you seat the bead, then you are never going to get pure nitrogen in the tire anyway.

If I remember correctly, Costco uses nitrogen to fill their tires. My thing is this....if you dont evacuate all of the air that is already in the tire when you seat the bead, then you are never going to get pure nitrogen in the tire anyway.
That makes sense. I bet there's a lot of shops that just air down and fill. So then people are paying a premium for nothing. You'd have to break the seal, air it, then have the Nitrogen replace the existing air taking it's space then pushing it out, then seal. Even then there's still that margin of error that it was never air out. Oh man, I kind of want to get it filled with Nitrogen and then argue it. Saying it's not 100% Nitrogen. We can lab test if if you'd like.

How much higher does it really get from 78%. It's the remaining air and we all know they'll take shortcuts. I'm on some shit.

That makes sense. I bet there's a lot of shops that just air down and fill. So then people are paying a premium for nothing. You'd have to break the seal, air it, then have the Nitrogen replace the existing air taking it's space then pushing it out, then seal. Even then there's still that margin of error that it was never air out. Oh man, I kind of want to get it filled with Nitrogen and then argue it. Saying it's not 100% Nitrogen. We can lab test if if you'd like.

How much higher does it really get from 78%. It's the remaining air and we all know they'll take shortcuts. I'm on some shit.
It is a bit odd to consider why nitrogen would have any benefit, unless there is some chemical something going on of which I'm unaware.

Gasses should migrate from a higher concentration to a lower concentration until everything has equaled out (entropy/2nd law of thermodynamics). So filling something to 100% nitrogen would create a concentration gradient that would lead to the outside air (20.9% oxygen, small amounts of CO2, noble gasses, water vapor) slowly working its way in via slow dissolving through the tire wall and microscopic leaks.

Maybe nitrogen's Reynolds coefficient is higher, leading to less turbulence and more laminar airflow while rotating at speed :unsure:

I like the bottled water analogy. Air is good, tap water is good. So the environmental impact of going beyond that has no benefit, only cost.

I mean technically... I'm paying for the convenience of bottled water. I work late and I'll usually grab a bottle or two to take upstairs. Don't have to worry about coming back down to refill. Helps keep track of how many oz I intake. Sometimes I might find a surprise bottle around the house. This reminds me I should drink water. Can also grab a bottle or two running out the door. Never have to worry about bringing the cup back or cleaning it. Also premeasured amount for the flavored water packets. I think it's $3.50 for 40 bottles. .0875/bottle. Water filter cost $55 for 200 gallons. 200 gallons of bottled water = $164. Now to figure out how many cases of water I go through in x amount of months. 46 cases of water. Let's just say an average of 3 bottles a day. Round it around. Basically $164/year for bottled water. LG Water Filter being $55. Good for 200 gallons or 6 months. $110/year + tax + shipping. $50-$60 price difference is definitely worth the convenience for the year. So the frequency of convenience I get from bottles definitely pays off over the course of 1 year. Consider the amount of time going to get water from the fridge 1-2/times a day, me personally I get distracted but I wont add that time, cleaning the cup, looking for a cup, etc... Then also account for grabbing a snack. I binge eat shit snacks, so increase cost in healthcare and snack budget. Also produces more waste. Won't account for that either.

Let's say on average I spend 2.5 minutes going to get water and cleaning the cup. Then guessing for just half the year. 187 days. We know the actual number is more.
Let's average saving 2 minutes a day for those 187 days to utilize and pay for bottles.

That's 561 minutes in a year. It comes out to $5.88/hour to not leave bed and clean a cup for 9 hours out of the year.
That's a steal for a quality of life convenience. So... I don't think you could compare bottled water to nitrogen filled tires.
Unless you're talking about pure natural water harvested from 15,000 year old North Atlantic icebergs bottled in a frosted glass costing .49/cents an oz by the time it reaches your lips.

Now... the only issue is I get the bottled water for me and my dog gets filtered water. I just can't win.
And here folks is a beautiful example of how people get indoctrinated into believing in things like bottled water. My comparison was apparently missed. I'll make it clearer. Both are a waste of money.

As others have said, the atmosphere is mostly nitrogen gas already. Plus, the physical properties of N₂ are extremely similar to the other components of the atmosphere at the temps and pressures we're talking about. If you're trying to avoid oxidation, well, the outside of the tires are exposed to oxygen and sunlight so that's still a problem. Some claim it deflates over time slower than plain atmosphere but if you're paying attention to your tire pressure at all this shouldn't ever be a problem anyway.

Looking at the chemistry, the effusion rates (gas escaping through a tiny hole) of N₂ and O₂, oxygen is actually lower because it's based on molecular weight. But Nitrogen has larger atoms. So I'm thinking it's a wash. Save your money!

And here folks is a beautiful example of how people get indoctrinated into believing in things like bottled water. My comparison was apparently missed. I'll make it clearer. Both are a waste of money.
No. Nothing was taught. They don't teach convenience or laziness. It's excessive logical overthinking.
It's not believing in bottled water. Belief is to hold as opinion, think or suppose.
Bottled water is just bottled water. It's a real thing. They put water into a bottle. No belief there, because it's tangible. It's a real thing.

So look who was indoctrinated into believing anything. Beliefs aren't facts. They're opinions that everyone is entitled to. You just have sore butt because you can't prove me wrong. I justified everything. You're just afraid of independent thinkers.

Last edited:
No. Nothing was taught. They don't teach convenience or laziness. It's excessive logical overthinking.
It's not believing in bottled water. Belief is to hold as opinion, think or suppose.
Bottled water is just bottled water. It's a real thing. They put water into a bottle. No belief there, because it's tangible. It's a real thing.

So look who was indoctrinated into believing anything. Beliefs aren't facts. They're opinions that everyone is entitled to. You just have sore butt because you can't prove me wrong. I justified everything. You're just afraid of independent thinkers.
Dude, chill out. You're entertaining but you're biting at everyone for no good reason. Not a good vibe.

In Naval Aviation we use nitrogen for a couple of reasons. One is because it is non-flammable, and the second is because it isn’t effected by altitude. For our use, it seems like a waste of money.

Do any of you use Nitrogen in your tires. When I picked my new truck up a little over a week ago, nitrogen filled tires was one of the extras they tried to sell me. I refused, like I did for all the extras, but they really tried to sell me on it. In the end, they realized that I wasn't going to buy it and then confessed that they had already filled the tires with Nitrogen so I could just have it for free. I've heard of some people demanding that it be removed but never understood that. No reason to have it removed. I will use air if I have a low tire. It does no harm to add air to nitrogen filled tires. All that will do is diminish, and if done often enough, completely negate any benefits of having the nitrogen.

Im no engineer or scientist, so Im in no position to tell anyone that they are right or wrong for wanting to run Nitrogen in their tires however, if you want to run it, more power to you. In the end, its YOUR truck and you can do whatever you want with it. Research it on your own after you get everyones 'professional' opinion. Then make the decision if its something you want to do or not.

Here, check these articles out:

Seeing how Continental tires sponsors F1, I would tend to believe what these guys have to say about it. Im sure they have spent millions of dollars in R&D on the subject.

Same thing with Firestone as with Continental. These guys sponsor and supply tires for F1. The most elite racing league in the world. Im going to take what these guys have to say seriously

Good luck on your decision. I would love to know what you decided to do and why.

FYI: I like bottled water because it tastes better. I dont care what anyone thinks of me because of that, but you cant deny it tastes better. Costco bottled water tastes better than Arrowhead, Dasani or Nestle brand bottled water. Here in northern Nevada, they add flouride to the tap water. Flouride screws with the taste of the water. Another reason I like bottled water.

I mean, if you take the truck off-road, you're probably going to be airing down and back up anyway. Unless you want to carry around a nitrogen tank... might as well go with air.

Well we figured out the nitrogen part, however, what tire does everyone have now? I want to upgrade to a 20" rim soon and I'm really having a hard time figuring out what tire and rim I want... I've been looking thru NITTO but see a lot of the same bad reviews on every tire I'm interested in.. I run BFGoodrich right now and love them, may just stick with them but I wanna find something a bit more beefy

Helium
Truck will float on water and be lighter on the road = better MPG.
R&D done by Dude the air guy.

I also have swamp land for sale that converts to waterfront each time it rains,
Small down payment and sink right in!

Helium
Truck will float on water and be lighter on the road = better MPG.
R&D done by Dude the air guy.

I also have swamp land for sale that converts to waterfront each time it rains,
Small down payment and sink right in!
I'm not talking about what to fill it with, I mean what tire brand. Like NITTO, BFGoodrich, Goodyear, etc. I currently run BFGoodrich and love them but I wanna get a more "beefy" tire for all terrain use

I'm not talking about what to fill it with, I mean what tire brand. Like NITTO, BFGoodrich, Goodyear, etc. I currently run BFGoodrich and love them but I wanna get a more "beefy" tire for all terrain use
Do what you want, but this is the wrong forum to talk about 20 inch rims. I'd heavily advise against it, as it will ruin your off road ability and your ride quality will suffer considerably.

Beefy like A/T or M/T.... Toyo's have great reviews and mileage warranty
1662819365977.png

I have the set of tires and wheels that came off my SR in storage and they have Nitrogen in them. They are still filled up and ready to go like they haven't been sitting for 4 years. I can't speak on the integrity of the rubber but considering they haven't seen the sun in that long, I'd say the Nitrogen and rubber are holding their weight.

I am getting the Toyo A/T III when time to change.

Look into the Cooper Rugged Treks. I got a set a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love them. I will submit some photos here after a while.

EDIT:
98932B7B-B87C-485B-895A-4C9E533BA234.jpeg
658F9C6B-43BD-46D7-8958-7BE21A00AC64.jpeg
CE10B37A-0C50-46F1-BA32-244875574CE5.jpeg
DCC7C7B9-122E-4553-9A49-59B8C43F6FA0.jpeg

Last edited:
Back