• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New to the Toyota World

Tshaw2009

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Howdy Folks,

My name is Tony Shaw and I'm thinking about becoming a convert to the Taco Community. I'm also an Army Combat Veteran (OEF). I've ran big lifted Fords and Chevys my entire life (I'm only 29 lol), admitting that neither of them have the reputation of reliability that Toyota pickups have. For reliability's sake and also for the sake of extremely high resale value, I'm thinking of making the switch. There are two models I'm looking at and a couple packages I'm looking at on one of the models and would love the feedback from those of you running these two rigs. This is what I'm looking at:

1. 20/21 TRD Off Road
a. Technology Package with Options?
b. TRD Premium Off Road Package with Options?
2. 20/21 TRD Pro

First I do plan on using this vehicle for off-roading purposes and will probably lift either of the models to fit 33s. We hope to maybe start doing some mild overlanding and extended camping trips with the kiddos. With that being said which model would you go with? If you were to pick the TRD Off Road, do you think the Premium Off Road Package is worth it for the money (I'm more of a no frills kind of guy) or would you be satisfied with the Tech Package with Options? Thanks for all your help guys and gals!

Welcome to the forum! You honestly can't go wrong with either of those options. If you're a no frills kind of guy like you say then I'd say the standard TRD Offroad would work nicely for you. Especially if you plan on swapping the suspension anyway. You'll get a comfy truck with a locker ready for whatever suspension upgrade you choose. No crawl control like with the Pro but if you're used to wheeling with larger Ford trucks it wont be anything different. These little trucks out wheel a Superduty no matter what trim they have.

Welcome to the forum! You honestly can't go wrong with either of those options. If you're a no frills kind of guy like you say then I'd say the standard TRD Offroad would work nicely for you. Especially if you plan on swapping the suspension anyway. You'll get a comfy truck with a locker ready for whatever suspension upgrade you choose. No crawl control like with the Pro but if you're used to wheeling with larger Ford trucks it wont be anything different. These little trucks out wheel a Superduty no matter what trim they have.
That is kind of what I was thinking as well. I just can't see spending $10k more for the TRD Pro when I'm going to be upgrading the suspension beyond the TRD Pro and for a lot less than the $10k difference between the trucks. I know I will at least want the LED lights with the safety technology for the wife, but I think I could probably do without the JBL sound system, moonroof, etc. unless you all tell me that JBL system is totally worth it.

Welcome to T3G. I like my JBL, but don't know that it is worth an extra 10k if you don't want the other features. The factory sound system can be upgraded with the Subaru tweeter upgrade and sounds decent enough.

I definitely wouldn't get the Pro if you plan to swap the lift. The lift on the Pro is literally the only major upgrade on them.

The Offroad is definitely worth it for the locker alone though. It makes a huge difference when you need it.

I went with the premium package on the TRD off road and I love the stereo. Having just a little bit of bass and being able to open the moon/sun roof is worth the extra money spent.
I also agree that if youre planning on a lift, might as well go with the trd off road. Its pretty easy to sell the bilstein lift after replacing it. I found more people are looking for it than you think.

Here's another vote for the trd off-road. I have the pro, and am happy with the suspension and the leather and other goodies...but it will turn out to be a waste if I lift it in the next few years.
JBL sound system sucks. Don't spend the money on the factory JBL, do your own thing with the extra cash.

Here's another vote for the trd off-road. I have the pro, and am happy with the suspension and the leather and other goodies...but it will turn out to be a waste if I lift it in the next few years.
JBL sound system sucks. Don't spend the money on the factory JBL, do your own thing with the extra cash.
Thanks! I really appreciate your feedback.

Back