• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New to the 3G

gelsi2033

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Hello new to the forum and this taco is my answer to the midlife crisis. After a 15-year hiatus I purchased my 3rd taco this past December. My previous 2 were both 1st gen (‘96 4x2 4cyl single cab and ‘04 SR5 V6 4x4). All 3 manual trans.

I am new to off roading but instantly became hooked and go out almost every week. I enjoy DIY and plan to do my own maintenance but know my limits so when I do something big, I will leave it to the pros. Future plans include OV Tune (scheduled for next week!), sliders, low profile front bumper, light bar and later on possibly a 2” shim + AAL.

Done so far:
  • Diamond Back SE bed cover
  • OEM Audio Plus reference 500
  • 265/75 KO2 + spare
  • Wheelers Super bumps
  • Ultragauge
  • Woolwax black undercoat
  • Avalon King ceramic coat
  • 3M ceramic window tint 25% all around, 5% visor and 5% moon roof
  • Rookie mistake - Aries 3” nerf steps instead of sliders (my one and only regret so far because I didn’t want to add the weight or drill my frame). Thinking about stepping up to the Cali raised trail.
I had no intention of buying a PRO and wasn't enamored with the Lunar Rock color, but it really has grown on me. I actually put a deposit on an OR Prem M/T in Barcelona Red (my favorite color for a taco) back in November but COVID delays pushed the delivery date back to late February and I got impatient.

Despite some of the shortcomings we all know about, I absolutely love it, love driving it and really enjoy seeing and reading about what others have done to theirs.

Attachments

• Mall Crawl 3.jpg
    Mall Crawl 3.jpg
    916.1 KB · Views: 124
  • JWC 3-16-21 Driver rear.jpg
    JWC 3-16-21 Driver rear.jpg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 3-16-21 Front Passenger.jpg
    3-16-21 Front Passenger.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Mall Crawl 2.jpg
    Mall Crawl 2.jpg
    904.2 KB · Views: 127
Just got my OV Tune today! I wish it came this way from Toyota, but was absolutely worth it even in a manual. Also found this screen protector online and ordered it with custom etching. Photodon.com: Search
I ordered it Sunday and it arrived on Thursday. Not bad for $25 with free shipping.

Attachments

• Screen Protector.jpg
    Screen Protector.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 122
What a beauty!..I'm new to Tacoma's and have heard of the OV tunes. Since you recently got it on a new vehicle....does it cause any trouble with the Warranty? What kind of difference do you realize? Thanks. Mike/Utah

What a beauty!..I'm new to Tacoma's and have heard of the OV tunes. Since you recently got it on a new vehicle....does it cause any trouble with the Warranty? What kind of difference do you realize? Thanks. Mike/Utah
Hello and thank you.

Based on my understanding it will not affect your warranty because there really isn't any way for Toyota to tell if it was done. If they did a scan all they would see is that it is on the latest version 04C30 in my case (I think that is correct). The tune doesn't change that, it just changes the mapping.

I had him do the premium performance tune, straighten out the shift parameters (more linear from gear to gear) and remove the restrictions on 1st gear. I watched him tune an A/T while I was there with 33s and it seemed like there was more that could be done with the A/T.

What I have noticed is much better low end acceleration (not a race car, but improved). Much better throttle response particularly in 1st and 2nd with smoother shift points in every gear. It is not a drastic change, but a marked improvement.

Too soon to tell if it improved MPG, but I am not expecting much. I get about 15.5mpg combined on 265/75/16. On the stock tires I was getting about 16.8mpg.

Added a couple of small mods today.

Middle console cover from PRP. 8 week lead time, but really nice. Very comfortable to lean on (better than that hard top cover) and looks and fits great! The Daytona Black w/red stitching matches the PRO seats well.

Added a QC 3.0 USB charger in open slot under climate controls

Removed the resonator and air pipe and replaced with silicone tube
Added TRD intake airflow accelerator and oiled air filter.
Not sure how much it really improves performance, but it does look nice and adds a nice groaning sound to the engine.

Attachments

• Center arm rest.jpg
    Center arm rest.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Center stack mods.jpg
    Center stack mods.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 134
  • HPS CAI with Drop in Oil AF and intake accelerator.jpg
    HPS CAI with Drop in Oil AF and intake accelerator.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 4-10-21 driver.jpg
    4-10-21 driver.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 4-10-21 tailgate.jpg
    4-10-21 tailgate.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 92
Added some new little mods this weekend.

Bed molle from BAMF and quick release extinguisher mount
Meso steering wheel chrome delete
Rigid amber fog covers
Mountain hatch tailgate which I actually really like. Did not think I would.

Other than some armor and a lift, I don't anticipate doing anything else.

Also, is it me, or does the Taco just look better dirty?

Attachments

• Bed Molle.jpg
    Bed Molle.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Taco Bed Mod2.jpg
    Taco Bed Mod2.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 4-19 after Picayune Strand Trail Ride.jpg
    4-19 after Picayune Strand Trail Ride.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 4-19 after Picayune Strand Trail Ride1.jpg
    4-19 after Picayune Strand Trail Ride1.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Meso Steering wheel chrome delete.jpg
    Meso Steering wheel chrome delete.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Meso Steering wheel chrome delete1.jpg
    Meso Steering wheel chrome delete1.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Meso Steering wheel chrome delete2.jpg
    Meso Steering wheel chrome delete2.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Rigid Amber Caps.jpg
    Rigid Amber Caps.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 102
A mod I recently did was because I did it to my 2016 RAM Diesel and I liked the change. It was adding a 9 Drive throttle sensitivity module. I hated the throttle lag on my Ram and it made it go away. I also felt it in my Tacoma and decided to add one to it. I love how it gets up and goes now. A main reason for adding it is because I tow my Polaris RZR on a trailer and now there is zero lag on take off. Just thought I'd pass this along. I got it on Ebay for $50. The one I put on my Ram was a different brand and cost $300. I like this 9 Drive just as well.

Bed stiffeners, tailgate lock ($100 is a bit pricey for that lock, but if my tailgate was swiped, I would be kicking myself for not spending the $$).

Rear diff breather in the small storage box. Thank you to Biohazard for posting pics and a "how to". It worked perfectly.

That diff breather will come in handy just for getting out of my neighborhood after a rain storm.

1622820546995.png

1622824135048.png

1622824184357.png

1622821938580.png

1622822455746.png

Back