• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New to me, TRD Sport

ilikecider

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
Hi,

I got a 17' TRD Sport 2 months ago, I use it mainly for work. I bought it used with 13K miles, and so far am almost at 23K. I have another Tacoma as well a TRD 99 XtraCab 39xK miles with Bilstein 5100s & OME springs all around. I have noticed that my 99 handles better and stays flatter when cornering hard, even though it it has a 2" lift. Is this because it is a box frame? Also if I were to do a similar setup on my 17, would the handling be similar to the 99? I would like for it to handle better, but also not waste money having it do so.

90 percent of my driving is pavement, and remainder is going to be off road or bad condition roads.

The Sport suspension isn't off Road worthy. Your bigger 5100's blow away the Sport Hitachi shocks

The 2" lifted 5100s on my Off Road rides like stock, but they were Bilstein (4600) shocks to begin with.

@fourgotten that's sort of what happened, I have been popping into my local toyota from time to time, looking for a 4x4 V6 manual trans trd taco from time to time. I saw one on the lot, the interior was almost immaculate, and on the radio presets were classic rock, christian talk, Christian rock, on Siruis XM, and on the local radio the local country station.

I would have liked the TRD Offroad, but this is the best I could find given the situation.

My Sport does pretty well offroad, but I wouldn't expect to make it through MOAB with a stock sport. I keep up with my buddies RC JL Jeep with 35's just fine.

@fourgotten that's sort of what happened, I have been popping into my local toyota from time to time, looking for a 4x4 V6 manual trans trd taco from time to time. I saw one on the lot, the interior was almost immaculate, and on the radio presets were classic rock, christian talk, Christian rock, on Siruis XM, and on the local radio the local country station.

I would have liked the TRD Offroad, but this is the best I could find given the situation.
Glad it worked out for you. Have to admit that I have never heard of a person picking a truck because of the radio presets.

Welcome aboard! I'm pretty new here, too. Is yours 2WD? I don't know enough about which trims can have which options. You can always put in an aftermarket locker too, right?

Your 2017 Tacoma TRD sport has a great package …because it comes with a LSD and tow hitch…
Many people do NOT understand how a 4x4 system works and why it is better to have at least one Limited slip unit for added traction…a one locker is better then two LSD.. and two lockers is the ultimate..Chevy Canyon and the Colorado offers 2 factory lockers..so does the Broncos..

Sad thing is our TRD’s locker can only be use for under 5 miles a hour and a limited amount time…short periods…when you are driving on sand or thru mud…you want this on all the time!
Study how a 4x4 really works….and why some 4x2 with a locker…sometimes out perform a 4x4 with open diffs only… I have seen this happen…
Aloha

Your 2017 Tacoma TRD sport has a great package …because it comes with a LSD and tow hitch…
Many people do NOT understand how a 4x4 system works and why it is better to have at least one Limited slip unit for added traction…a one locker is better then two LSD.. and two lockers is the ultimate..Chevy Canyon and the Colorado offers 2 factory lockers..so does the Broncos..

Sad thing is our TRD’s locker can only be use for under 5 miles a hour and a limited amount time…short periods…when you are driving on sand or thru mud…you want this on all the time!
Study how a 4x4 really works….and why some 4x2 with a locker…sometimes out perform a 4x4 with open diffs only… I have seen this happen…
Aloha
Well said. Driver skill is probably the most important.

Back