• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New to forum and ordering new truck

Treadway47025

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forum and about to order a dcsb trd or. Torn on the manual over auto. Test drove both in 2018. Liked the manual more.
Will be daily driving (10mile commute) general life running. Using to haul/tow. Plan to setup for adventure/overlanding/camping. Some off-roading nothing too extreme it’s a daily. Will sometimes be towing near max short distnances under 20mi.

Well I originally ordered a Manual Friday evening. I test drove a used manual friday and a new auto saturday. Ended up changing my order to the auto. It wasn’t that terrible like I remember. A tune and maybe gears if I have any regrets I think would eliminate issues. I do appreciate everyone’s feedback!

I actually have a manual. The only thing I miss is I don't get the cool crawl control dial thing. When I first got the truck people asked me about it. I'm also not a huge fan of the gearing. 2nd and 5th are pretty useless most of the time except maybe when towing. On a flat though you can be in 6th at 35 MPH, so that's a thing. Also, the clutch took some getting used to and this is from someone who learned to drive on a Land Rover series 2a with a crash box.

Last edited:
I don't think the auto is too bad. This truck is my first auto since 2000. The modern epa/fuel economy crowd just has it trying to upshift as soon as it can.

My wife had a 2015 GTI with a DSG (dual clutch) transmission and that thing was in 4th gear by 25 mph if you drove it normally.

Back