• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

New Tacoma Owner

Which Gen3 Tacoma should I buy?

• $30,000 truck with 50,000 miles

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • $25,000 truck with 110,000 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stewart5

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
Hello all! This is my first post to the forum as I am going to be in the market for a new(to me) Gen3 Tacoma in the next few months and wanted to get input on what I'm looking at. I currently drive 30 miles to work and back 5 times a week and it is all highway miles at about 70-80 mpg. I'm currently debating between a 4wd with about 50,000 miles for $30,000 with a longer loan term because I know that these trucks drive forever, or a truck with about 110,000 miles for $25,000. Basically my question is is there anyone out there that was initially in the same position as me and if so which direction did you go? I will put a poll below for those of you that would rather just hit a button than write out a response. Also assume that both trucks are the same configuration(trim, cabin size, drivetrain, transmission, etc.) and have minimal cosmetic damage with clean titles. Thank you in advance!!!

That should be a no brainer
30 k truck with 50 k miles
even at 15 k miles a year in 4years you will be at 110 k
and probably at or near the end of your loan .5000 more price is well worth that luxury. As good as Tacoma is all things wear. I just think the 5 k more is worth the cushion .

Last edited:
all things being equal, $5000 more dollars gets you half the miles. Worth it, even with Toyota's reliability.

For a few dollars more buy a new one. If you can afford it.
My advice?... ( worth 2 cents ):
If you can't afford it then...
Buy a piece of crap for a little as possible and beat the hell out of it for 2 years.
Save your money meanwhile and then put a boatload down ( > 50% ) and do a 4 year ( MAX! ) loan.

A new SR5 V6 4WD out the door is gonna run you $36,000-$38,000 period. Crazy prices.
But I always buy new and drive my cars for 12-15 years.

1. You’ll likely get better financing buying new.
2. If you can afford $30k you can afford $40k.
3. These trucks won’t last like they used to.

Back