• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Foreign Salvage Rebuild

Engine oil in the cup holder?! Wtf went on with this truck, lol.
I know right. Literally a tablespoon of nice new engine oil in the cup holder.
The mind boggles.
Nothing a bit of tissue paper wouldn't soak up though so no dramas.

Just a quick update.
Front end is off. Radiator support will need little pull above the left headlight, as will the front right corner of the chassis so that I can mount the skid plate properly, however the skid plate is straight. So that's a bonus.
Just discovered the screen washer pump is missing. Headlights are also fooked. All the mounts are snapped :cry:
Fitted rear foglight, front foglights, switch panel on dashboard, reconnected the left side of the dash. Drivers curtain airbag is out. Doing the passenger curtain and knee tomorrow hopefully.
Tail lights wired up and work fine. A Tacoma with amber turn signals! Ha.
Bought a pair of Lexus headrests from a breakers yard. They're black leather and cost me £6. Worth a try although I know they're ½cm narrower. I'm hoping the legs bend a bit.
Drivers window ordered from Toyota, should be here by the end of the month. Woop!
All that's left to buy now is fenders and besides, (McneilRacing bundle) a low profile front bumper, headlights (China) fuel flap and a wheel. The rest is just fettling.
20200130_141053.jpg
20200130_133644.jpg

Attachments

• 20200125_112252.jpg
    20200125_112252.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Just a quick update.
Front end is off. Radiator support will need little pull above the left headlight, as will the front right corner of the chassis so that I can mount the skid plate properly, however the skid plate is straight. So that's a bonus.
Just discovered the screen washer pump is missing. Headlights are also fooked. All the mounts are snapped :cry:
Fitted rear foglight, front foglights, switch panel on dashboard, reconnected the left side of the dash. Drivers curtain airbag is out. Doing the passenger curtain and knee tomorrow hopefully.
Tail lights wired up and work fine. A Tacoma with amber turn signals! Ha.
Bought a pair of Lexus headrests from a breakers yard. They're black leather and cost me £6. Worth a try although I know they're ½cm narrower. I'm hoping the legs bend a bit.
Drivers window ordered from Toyota, should be here by the end of the month. Woop!
All that's left to buy now is fenders and besides, (McneilRacing bundle) a low profile front bumper, headlights (China) fuel flap and a wheel. The rest is just fettling.
20200130_141053.jpg
20200130_133644.jpg
Is it harder to get something like a bumper to the UK?

I wouldn't say harder, just more expensive.
We have ARB stockists here so that was always an option, but the low profile bumpers where you cut away at the factory bumper just about qualify as a large parcel. -And I think look much better.
FedEx quoted me something like £300 to get one here because of the weight.

A full width bumper is longer than a pallet so it gets a bit more complicated however I have seen a low profile bumper which you can then bolt high clearance corner bits to... that may well be the long term solution for me. I'll just get those end bits sent over separately at a later date.

20200212_143401.jpg

20200212_143446.jpg

20200213_143127.jpg

20200213_154521.jpg

So Lexus headrests are a perfect fit. Bargain of the year I reckon. The dent in the drivers side is just my thumbprint.
Window has arrived and has been fitted, but its revealed the door is a tiny bit bent at the top. And its visibly sticking out at the bottom. Not great news. Another part to buy. I did make a genius hoover attachment out of washing machine waste pipe though, for sucking up shattered glass.
Been bending and pulling various bits of metal with "average" success, but it is my first time so still getting a feel for it.

20200227_104523.jpg

20200219_123916.jpg

20200219_160253.jpg

20200219_144659.jpg

20200219_170418.jpg

All the damaged badges and their residues are now off. A real pain to do in the cold. Am also trying to get some fenders and bedsides from McNeil Racing, but we're having this big thing about tax which they dont seem to understand. Its hard going and is probably going to cost me double tax. (USA because of the invoicing and UK on entry) :rolleyes:

Talk about emotional rollercoaster.

It’s definitely coming along though! All the effort will be worth it in the end

Alas I've become a victim of that wretched Corona virus.
I work in travel & tourism and got the call from the boss yesterday saying we're shutting down for a month (minimum) NOT because we're sick, but because nobody can enter the country.
No tourists = No work. Thanks government.
So for now everything is on hold while I try to make my last wage packet last indefinitely. :rolleyes:

If we make it through I'll see you on the other side! ?✌

Last edited:
Screw it. Needed a morale boost. Bought something shiny. (and it was in a sale)
May aswell die happy. ?
Screenshot_20200316-150048_eBay.jpg

Well where did those 3 months go?!
Things are still progressing but at a SUPER slow pace.
Spectre intake is fitted and sexy as hell. Centre piece of grill has a solid perspex panel in it because I cant find Toyota letters to replace the missing letters. Its ugly but will get me through the test and then I'll buy a new grill. Fibreglass wings and bedsides have also arrived. 112 days after ordering. That's no fault of McNeil's though, the ship just ran late as usual.
So at least I have bits to play with now.

20200402_121706.jpg

20200416_125731.jpg

20200423_135605.jpg

20200622_193729.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_140008.jpg
    IMG_20200401_140008.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 71
Just read through your build thread. I’m left scratching my head wondering what in the world happened to this truck. The damage pattern looks somewhat like a roll partially on the side, but it isn’t killed, just weird random bends and bumps. Hit a moose at 70mph that partially rolled up and over the driver’s side all the way to the bed? Weird.

cool project. I’ll differ with tacomadad, you’re crazy. But we all have a pretty solid dose of crazy here, so you’re in good company.

This is awesome. Hopefully all the virus craze settles and you can complete this thing.
I've always wanted to do a salvage project.. maybe something cheaper/smaller to start lol

Did anything ever work out with the dealer stealing the wheel and stuff?

We think it rolled too, just not very hard if that makes sense.
Drivers window and windscreen were smashed, fender crushed, wing mirror intact. Drivers door bent, rear door straight. Its bizarre.

Just read through your build thread. I’m left scratching my head wondering what in the world happened to this truck. The damage pattern looks somewhat like a roll partially on the side, but it isn’t killed, just weird random bends and bumps. Hit a moose at 70mph that partially rolled up and over the driver’s side all the way to the bed? Weird.

cool project. I’ll differ with tacomadad, you’re crazy. But we all have a pretty solid dose of crazy here, so you’re in good company.

Did anything ever work out with the dealer stealing the wheel and stuff?

Got a little back from the insurance company. I couldn't really push them too hard because the parts appear to be stolen from the dealers yard, and the marine insurance only covers the truck once the transporter picks it up.
Doing my best to replace the parts for cheap; front fogs and bezels off ebay, a new grill piece is £35 from toyota uk, it's just the wheel that's gonna hurt the bank.

Last edited:
Got a little back from the insurance company. I couldn't really push them too hard because the parts appear to be stolen from the dealers yard, and the marine insurance only covers the truck once the transporter picks it up.
Doing my best to replace the parts for cheap; front fogs and bezels off ebay, a new grill piece is £35 from toyota uk, it's just the wheel that's gonna hurt the bank.
Did you already order fogs and bezels? I have a set off an O/R. Just cover shipping if interested.

This is fantastic!! Following this for future updates!

Me too. Fascinating. Clearly it rolled over. I subscribe to the moose/deer/elk theory.

Back