• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Manual Trans - Shifting Habits

Ibryant20

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.ianbryantphotography.com
2019 Pro DCSB Manual
Midnight Black
Hey hey everyone, for those of you driving the 6 speed MT do you double clutch when you shift?
I just replaced my clutch at 33,000 miles (yes that's soon but my taco weights 6,500lbs and I also pull a trailer.....please no lectures about my weight)

I know back in the day everyone said you need to double clutch when you shift. but is that really necessary with the newer tech??

I only double clutch when I'm bored or downshifting multiple gears. My understanding of double clutching is that they really don't matter in our lower-end cars (as in not race cars). Plus, I don't believe double clutch matters to the clutch, I think it was easier to get the syncro into the actual gears... I will admit that my knowledge is terrible on that, and I doubt my terminology is even correct.

I will say that my Dad owned a 1987 4Runner that taught 2 idiot sons how to drive manual, and he never once told us about double clutching. I believe the clutch was starting to go at 120k miles, but it was a rust bucket at that point. I would bet its you towing clearly too much weight on a mid-size truck.

I only double clutch when I'm bored or downshifting multiple gears. My understanding of double clutching is that they really don't matter in our lower-end cars (as in not race cars). Plus, I don't believe double clutch matters to the clutch, I think it was easier to get the syncro into the actual gears... I will admit that my knowledge is terrible on that, and I doubt my terminology is even correct.

I will say that my Dad owned a 1987 4Runner that taught 2 idiot sons how to drive manual, and he never once told us about double clutching. I believe the clutch was starting to go at 120k miles, but it was a rust bucket at that point. I would bet its you towing clearly too much weight on a mid-size truck.
Thanks for the feedback!!!
yeah I was thinking the same thing, Its the one area I know the least on.
I know the premise behind what double clutching does but nothing about the long term benefits or if it benefits a truck vs a sports car.

Synchros in modern manual transmissions mean you don't need to. Same reason you don't need to rev match to down shift. I still rev match down shift to make it smoother, but I prefer to be in gear unless stationary. Technically you don't even need the clutch once you get going if you are good at rev matching!

Synchros in modern manual transmissions mean you don't need to. Same reason you don't need to rev match to down shift. I still rev match down shift to make it smoother, but I prefer to be in gear unless stationary. Technically you don't even need the clutch once you get going if you are good at rev matching!
Awesome!! thank you for the feedback. Yeah I rev match sometimes too to keep it smoother.

I have had nothing but manual transmissions since before I got my license in the early 90s. I've never double clutched on any of them, ever. It's 100% unnecessary on a synchromesh and not terribly helpful with a crashbox.

Back