• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Performance Magnuson Supercharger/Forced induction release thread.

Mr. Nobody

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
In case anyone missed it, Magnuson has ramped up it's teasing of the new supercharger. Rumor has been that Tuning the ECU has been a significant hurdle for multiple SC manufacturers. However it appears Magnuson has gotten past that hurdle and is preparing for launch. Videos of TacomaBeast' truck getting the install and the truck running on a dyno have surfaced online and a upcoming YouTube feature are being teased.

The kit is now also back up and listed as coming soon on Magnuson's site. Pricing is listed at $6,565 for a claimed 30% power gain.

https://www.magnusonsuperchargers.com/product-p/01-19-35-005-bl.htm

There are also a number of videos up in TacomaBeast' IG story, but those will disappear soon obviously.

Original link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDSOoGJH3Wz/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Currently their are 4 options in the works for forced induction for the 3rd gen Tacoma. 1 Twin Turbo Kit from Orange Virus Tuning which is currently shipping the first batch to customers. and 3 Superchargers, all still in development. Magnuson, Harrop, and URD. Magnuson now appears to be the closest now to releasing a SC for the 3rd Gen.

So, who's interested and considering picking up Magnuson's new kit? I am, as it will likely be the only one that is CARB legal, so my options are limited. I will say, OV's TT kit looks pretty amazing as well. Thoughts?

Here's some videos of OV's TT kit in testing....

Original link: https://youtu.be/Jug8Ah0C1Rk

Original link: https://youtu.be/iL1j0DjX0zY

Original link: https://youtu.be/L7ZFc_6CTGE

I am so in! However went a touch over budget on suspension? haha Time to save for the next big mod!

I am so in! However went a touch over budget on suspension? haha Time to save for the next big mod!

I've been saving for this one. The truck needs a bit more power so badly.

I've been saving for this one. The truck needs a bit more power so badly.
I just did a 10 day trip, before leaving fully loaded I was at 7300#s still had power due to 5.29 gears and OV tuned, however I agree could defiantly use more!

The twin turbo setup sounds insane. Love the blowoff valve sound.

If I plan to keep the Tacoma I'll totally do a super charger or turbo kit once it's all paid off & out of warranty haha

Edit: just saw the turbo kit priced on their site at $4249... would totally go that route over the supercharger I think

That $4249 kit is a solid setup. Sadly it'll never be CARB legal. Which for me sadly is kind of a necessity.

Couple of new videos and some info out there about the Magnuson kit.

These pictures were taken at Down East Offroad when they were installing a test kit on YotaMafias truck. The kits are currently still in preproduction testing apparently.
20200811_094222.jpg20200811_160543.jpg20200811_160556.jpg20200811_160757.jpg20200811_161128.jpg20200811_161136.jpg20200811_161904.jpg IMG_4730.jpgIMG_4731.jpgIMG_4741.jpg

Tuning was done by Magnusons in house tuners using VFTuner software developed by Orange Virus Tuning. Just to be clear, OV did not make the tune for the Magnuson SC, but we do have Mat @OVTune to thank for releasing his VFTuner software which has allowed Magnuson to finalize their kits software.

Rumors popped up of the Magnuson kit software being capable of adjusting and correcting the speedometer issues that effect trucks with larger tire sizes, these are false. The software being used to tune the trucks is incapable of correcting speedomoter for tire size. This is because the speedometer has a separate control module from the ECU and TCU. The only way to correct for this is the Hypertech "Inline Speedometer Calibrator Module" and the Rough Country "Inline Speedometer Calibrator."

Power output is rumored to be 32% increase putting the kit at 373hp and 332 ft-lbs of torque at the crank, equivalent to 308 rear wheel hp. It won't make the truck a rocket, but it should have usable power finally.

Dyno results from a third party are not yet available. I'd just like to go on record that I'd love to help out in that arena ;)

CARB certification is a must for many of us including myself and I have it on direct authority from a buddy who works at Magnuson that the process is already underway. They hope to have certification by November as they have a vey good relation with CARB from regularly certifying their new kits.

And now for the fun stuff.....

Original link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEA2SAAjVzM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Original link: https://youtu.be/jSCDsD8R1sk

This next video is a little bit of a let down honestly. I'd like to think that starting a pull on the highway from rolling that high in the gears wouldn't be the best place to show power.
Original link: https://youtu.be/SNIjQdCvk50

Procharger should be releasing their kit pretty soon too. I have no idea what they are doing for tuning though.

Procharger should be releasing their kit pretty soon too. I have no idea what they are doing for tuning though.

Harrop and URD also have had kits mocked up and mounted onto trucks for a while now. We'll see if they move closer to production soon as well.

competition shoulder drive market price down, good for us!

Hopefully that's true, but honestly I don't see the price dropping anytime soon. They know what they have and the demand will be high so they'll likely keep the price where it is.

I would then assume their tuning would be similar to the OVTune in that it would fix some of the transmission issues/shift points? Sounds badass though.

For around $4k I'm much more interested than when the $6k pricepoint was floating around.

I'm hearing that there is a potential that the Magnuson tune may not address the shifting. Which would be a huge let down in my opinion. The transmission shift logic on these trucks is a major problem that must be addressed so hopefully Magnuson has done so. If not, then i imagine a lot of people will again be looking to OV to release a version of his tuning for the Magnuson setup.

I can't imagine a company not remapping the shiftpoints when they're adding power and changing the entire powerband of a vehicle. Doesn't make much sense. When modding for engine performance you generally add on the hardware, then tune that hardware, then you tune the way that power gets delivered to the road. Not sure why they would ignore the shift mapping. If your entire power curve is totally different I don't understand what they expect / intend by not also complimenting the power gains with logical shift mapping.

The shift logic architecture is incredibly complex, so it may not be that they didn't want to update it to work with the charger, but that they couldn't. OVTune has spent the better part of the last few years working on the Tacoma transmission conundrum and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the only one capable of deciphering Toyotas mess.

Personally I'm hoping that the kit he had a few months ago was him developing a tune for release to customers of his own design. He had a second gen SC tune out there in the past and has hinted about doing one for the yet to be released third gen SC kit. I'm hoping he's got one with the shift logic programmed into it that will really wake up the Magnuson SC kit.

I think you're right, someone else will put the better shift point map together and send it their way probably or work with them like you said. I've tuned hondas and nissans which are pretty easy so I would've assumed Toyotas weren't that much more difficult... but this is my first toyota so, still learning :)

Magnson is is using a pro version of VFTuner from OVTune which allows you to make your own tune. But the pro version locks the tunes so you can’t change it. I don’t know the specifics of it but I wonder if the platforms already has some of the transmission coding figured out.

Since this is sort of maybe kind of an engine stuff thread
anyone figure out how to make it stop going limp half way through a mud pit/ sand / uphill.

Well, I wanted the supercharger....
Twin Turbskies have my heart now.
Im hoping to hear some good reviews about the OVT turbo kits. I spoke with former forum member that had an opportunity to drive a Magnuson 3rd gen test truck. His words " I was very disappointed, so much buildup and lackluster performance". :(

Magnson is is using a pro version of VFTuner from OVTune which allows you to make your own tune. But the pro version locks the tunes so you can’t change it. I don’t know the specifics of it but I wonder if the platforms already has some of the transmission coding figured out.

From what I'm hearing the answer is no, Magnuson has not addressed the transmission tuning. Which is really sad.

Since this is sort of maybe kind of an engine stuff thread
anyone figure out how to make it stop going limp half way through a mud pit/ sand / uphill.

Turn off your traction control. Overhead panel, press and hold for 5 seconds.

Magnuson is cool but I feel they are still struggling on the tuning. Much more potential left in it. Kinda bummed you can’t hear the whine. Although the TV1900 is much more efficient.

Twin snails in where it’s at. Here’s my current build. I’m planning on around 450whp. Each snorkel feeds each side Garrett powermax turbo—>catless downpipes—>2.5” equal length mid pipe—>3” side exit with bypass.
Should sound pretty rowdy!

Attachments

• A607AAB9-5B68-440E-AA32-1D41307E946A.jpeg
    A607AAB9-5B68-440E-AA32-1D41307E946A.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 65C9426D-F34D-47E3-8AA5-EFB2487CE579.jpeg
    65C9426D-F34D-47E3-8AA5-EFB2487CE579.jpeg
    528.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 03CC8463-CE24-4BF1-927F-53B0AFE550DA.jpeg
    03CC8463-CE24-4BF1-927F-53B0AFE550DA.jpeg
    554 KB · Views: 118
  • 978B1C31-ED5A-46FA-BF66-3ACE3FDD90B2.jpeg
    978B1C31-ED5A-46FA-BF66-3ACE3FDD90B2.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 859549A7-EA2D-4A6D-AE12-500AC330EC2E.jpeg
    859549A7-EA2D-4A6D-AE12-500AC330EC2E.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 137
Can't wait for some video! Glad you are here to share!! I've been running an electric exhaust bypass for a couple years and it sounds bad ass even without boost noises 😃

Magnuson is cool but I feel they are still struggling on the tuning. Much more potential left in it. Kinda bummed you can’t hear the whine. Although the TV1900 is much more efficient.

Twin snails in where it’s at. Here’s my current build. I’m planning on around 450whp. Each snorkel feeds each side Garrett powermax turbo—>catless downpipes—>2.5” equal length mid pipe—>3” side exit with bypass.
Should sound pretty rowdy!

Awesome to see some pics of the OV TT setup. What fuel and other upgrades are you running?

@lord
Thanks! Should be up and running in a week or so. 3” straight piped off the turbos is
Gonna be wicked. Also, the twin snorkels amplify the intake sound like megaphones.

@mr.nobody I have a Walbro intake fuel Pump, OEM fuel pump contoller(modified by OV), and mark V lexus injectors(off the LS500). After it’s up and running I plan to run E85 as I have 4 barrels in the shop.(food for my other cars) :)

Last edited:
I cannot wait to see that running. Going to be EPIC!!

Watching now 🧐 for dyno numbers.

Back