• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Lord Humongous's Tow-coma

Just got in the area and was hoping the wind wouldn't be so bad out here. Lake Marshall/lake Mary area is like a hurricane.

The wind is getting old up here on the rim. I'd say it's a steady 40+mph with gust rocking the shit out of the trailer. I tried getting drunk and shaking my fist at the sky but it's not helping.

Last edited:
The wind is getting old up here on the rim. I'd say it's a steady 40+mph with gust rocking the shit out of the trailer. I tried getting drunk and shaking my fist at the sky but it's not helping.

I'm working on the drunk part now. I'll bare ass the sky in a bit if it doesn't get it's shit together.

20190517_193114.jpg

The Expo was pretty awesome. Tons of vans this year. We took a bunch of pictures and picked up allot of good ideas for our upcoming build. I was able to get a good look at the U-joint 4x4 conversion on the E series as well air to water intercooler installs on the 7.3. Both will definitely be doable by me. We even picked up a 85 liter Snowmaster fridge that literally won't fit in anything except for a bus we dont have yet:unsure:.

So many cool things but I was really excited to see a Rivian. So exciting to see an electric powertrain come to fruition in a 4x4 truck.
20190517_135056.jpg

Also a fan of Ostacruisers YouTube channel so I couldn't pass up a chance to get in a Sherp.
11674.jpeg

The nicest Taco at show was @JerryTaco2.0s truck. I believe he has me talked into upgrading to the SSO high clearance and the RCI rear. So damn good looking!

Just ordered some parts. Truck will definitely have some improved looks and function soon!!!

Last edited:
atta boy. I'm sure some asshole pushed you over the edge on that purchase, what a dick that guy is.
That's not nice. He's actually not as big of an asshole as everybody told he was. He even offered to help me install it;)

Ooooh also ordered the Squadron amber fog light kit and sport ditch lights. I figure I've gone too far at this point and can't have some off brand pod light and chinese yellow replacment led bulb non-sense.

That's not nice. He's actually not as big of an asshole as everybody told he was. He even offered to help me install it;)

Ooooh also ordered the Squadron amber fog light kit and sport ditch lights. I figure I've gone too far at this point and can't have some off brand pod light and chinese yellow replacment led bulb non-sense.
ha ha, the lights will be more than worth it!

I upgraded the fog lights with the Baja Designs kit and also swapped out my ditch lights for some Baja Designs Squadron Sports. The fog light kit is AWESOME! Finally have functional fog lights! The amber LED replacment bulbs were definitely a step up from OEM but this is next level! Also really easy to install which is nice. The ditch lights are a great upgrade too in comparison to the previous pods. They are pretty much BD base model light but still vastly better than what I had before.
20190526_145732.jpg

BD right, drop in LED on the left.
20190526_165241.jpg
20190526_165315.jpg

Rear lighting upgrade will come when the new rear bumper comes.

Unfortunately I never felt like I could truly count on that exhaust jack and since I'm going to have steel bumpers all around soon. I figure it's a good time to pick up a 48" murder jack I mean hi-lift.

My bed is already full of hardcore expo shit so I needed to come up with a mount that wouldn't sacrifice excessive bed space, fit under the tonneau and most importantly not get in the way of anything else e.g. I find it incredibly irritating having to move one thing to access another.

This is what I cam up with. Not pretty but works extremely well for my needs and is solid as an oak tree.

It fits around my Relentless quick-fist mounts with no interference.
20190529_135347.jpg
20190529_135407.jpg
20190529_135639.jpg

20190529_140621.jpg
20190529_140637.jpg
20190529_140913.jpg
20190529_140639.jpg

It clears the recovery boards by a half inch and still allows for the air compressor door to open.
20190529_141723.jpg
20190529_141723.jpg
20190529_141730.jpg

The tonneau closes unencumbered. Stealth EAF!

20190529_142330.jpg

I intended for the bracket to put most of the weight on the fender well and use T-slot nuts on the factory rail for mounting. This worked great but I was concerned about possible vibration noise so I added a small amount of bracing and 1 bolt through the top of the fender well. It's not detectable from the other side due to the fender liner. You can shake the truck by pushing on the jack so there shouldnt be any vibrations(y)

All in all I'm stoked on it and it works awesome! I may rework it and make something prettier once I aqquire a plasma cutter and brake but I'm more than happy for now:D

Attachments

• 20190529_135650.jpg
    20190529_135650.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Unfortunately I never felt like I could truly count on that exhaust jack and since I'm going to have steel bumpers all around soon. I figure it's a good time to pick up a 48" murder jack I mean hi-lift.

My bed is already full of hardcore expo shit so I needed to come up with a mount that wouldn't sacrifice excessive bed space, fit under the tonneau and most importantly not get in the way of anything else e.g. I find it incredibly irritating having to move one thing to access another.

This is what I cam up with. Not pretty but works extremely well for my needs and is solid as an oak tree.

20190529_135347.jpg
20190529_135407.jpg
20190529_135639.jpg

20190529_140621.jpg
20190529_140637.jpg
20190529_140913.jpg
20190529_140639.jpg

It clears the recovery boards by a half inch and still allows for the air compressor door to open.
20190529_141723.jpg
20190529_141723.jpg
20190529_141730.jpg

20190529_142330.jpg

I intended for the bracket to put most of the weight on the fender well and use T-slot nuts on the factory rail for mounting. This worked great but I was concerned about possible vibration noise so I added a small amount of bracing and 1 bolt through the top of the fender well. It's not detectable from the other side due to the fender liner. You can shake the truck by pushing on the jack so there shouldnt be any vibrations(y)
View attachment 13218

All in all I'm stoked on it and it works awesome! I may rework it and make something prettier once I aqquire a plasma cutter and brake but I'm more than happy for now:D
dude, that's bad ass. Welds are looking clean too!

The SSO high clearance kit officially went on sale today. From their website it sounds like they had some units in stock so hoping I hear about shipping sometime soon.

The SSO high clearance kit officially went on sale today. From their website it sounds like they had some units in stock so hoping I hear about shipping sometime soon.
Noice!! Dude you're gonna be so stoked on it!! And your rear bumper should be here soon too, right?

Noice!! Dude you're gonna be so stoked on it!! And your rear bumper should be here soon too, right?
I'm hoping so! I ordered both on the same day. I have not recieved any tracking info yet but guessing the rear should be very soon.

20190529_135347.jpg
20190529_135407.jpg
20190529_135639.jpg

20190529_140621.jpg
20190529_140637.jpg
20190529_140913.jpg
20190529_140639.jpg

20190529_141723.jpg
20190529_141723.jpg
20190529_141730.jpg

20190529_142330.jpg

View attachment 13218

Nice, this is a solid setup!

I'm hoping so! I ordered both on the same day. I have not recieved any tracking info yet but guessing the rear should be very soon.
yeah RCI was great when I ordered mine. You'll get an email as soon as a shipping label is created and for me, it was exactly two weeks from when I ordered.

yeah RCI was great when I ordered mine. You'll get an email as soon as a shipping label is created and for me, it was exactly two weeks from when I ordered.
That's awesome! Next Wenesday will be 2 weeks. Fingers crossed SSO has some available stock with the high clearance kit and things come together without too much waiting!

I repaired the stabilizers on the trailer that we bent during the expo weekend. Also made an appointment to have some warranty work done on it. As soon as it's back the expo glamper will be up for sale!

We also picked up this big mofo we bought at the expo. Unfortunately we still haven't found a bus to put it in....
20190601_142950.jpg

I repaired the stabilizers on the trailer that we bent during the expo weekend. Also made an appointment to have some warranty work done on it. As soon as it's back the expo glamper will be up for sale!

We also picked up this big mofo we bought at the expo. Unfortunately we still haven't found a bus to put it in....
20190601_142950.jpg
Wtf are your plans with that! Nice though, lol.

Wtf are your plans with that! Nice though, lol.
Lol yeah so plan is to sell the trailer and retire my daily driver taco from towing duty. Actively looking for a 90s E series 4 or 5 window school bus with the 7.3 diesel. It will get a 4x4 conversion, allison swap and become our mini expo motorhome. Theres a yard in So-cal with a few but have been hoping to find one local in PHX for the past few weeks. Might be making a road trip in the near future.

That's awesome! Next Wenesday will be 2 weeks. Fingers crossed SSO has some available stock with the high clearance kit and things come together without too much waiting!
Mine was supposed to be here two weeks ago and they still can't give me a delivery date for the stage 2 high clearance as of yesterday. I got my slimline a couple of weeks ago but I'm waiting on stage 2 before it goes on. I might actually get it powder coated to match the rear bumper though. I wish these companies would give real lead times. If it's gonna take two months, tell me that. That's fine. Don't tell me two weeks and deliver in 8.

Sorry, rant over... ?

Mine was supposed to be here two weeks ago and they still can't give me a delivery date for the stage 2 high clearance as of yesterday. I got my slimline a couple of weeks ago but I'm waiting on stage 2 before it goes on. I might actually get it powder coated to match the rear bumper though. I wish these companies would give real lead times. If it's gonna take two months, tell me that. That's fine. Don't tell me two weeks and deliver in 8.

Sorry, rant over... ?
Dude don't even worry! It's super frustrating!

I got some bling bling from SDHQ. I picked up their ABS gaurds and apparently they are billet now! That's cool with me because I like shiny things!
20190604_124346.jpg

20190604_125811.jpg

The extra bling motivated me to shine up my skid plates. Or at least the parts you can see without a floor creeper.

20190604_114050.jpg

20190604_114040.jpg

Last edited:
Back