• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Lord Humongous's Tow-coma

Well I've been slacking and the new trailer isn't finished so we rented a Tab and spent a week on the Mogollon rim. Not a fan of the Tab but still had a great time.
20200726_101947.jpg
20200725_142122.jpg
20200722_192757_04.jpg
0723201514c.jpg

Taking a small break from the trailer build for some truck upgrades. We're planning on a Colorado trip in September and hopefully some good 4 wheeling which is prompting the upgrades.

I built some bed stiffeners out of 3/8 bar and a few 1/4 corner gussets this morning.
20200816_121426.jpg
20200816_132249.jpg

Latter in the week I should have some time to finally install the Remmen brake upgrade kit. I also figure that would be a good time to weld in some Total Chaos spindle gussets.
20200816_131614.jpg

Aaaaaannndd I ordered the RCI trans and T-case skid to go along with my RCI engine skid.

I finally got around to installing the Remmen brake upgrade kit I won on a T3G instagram/ forum contest. Thanks again @Tyler and @Remmen!!! The brake upgrade definitely makes a difference! I did the obligatory post brake job pull out of my driveway mash the gas till about 60 mph then hard stop and they are ridiculously better 😆!!
20200821_160015.jpg

Total chaos spindle gussets.
20200821_130423.jpg

I had to pull the glamper project out of my tiny shop to make room for the truck. It actually looks allot smaller out of the small work space.
20200821_081730.jpg

Last edited:
I did the obligatory post brake job pull out of my driveway mash the gas till about 60 mph then hard stop and they are ridiculously better 😆!!
Lol, hell yeah! I'd also continue with that and follow the quick break in he has in the little instruction book.

Is the brake upgrade new rotors and pads? Wondering if you considering or are doing a big brake upgrade

Lol, hell yeah! I'd also continue with that and follow the quick break in he has in the little instruction book.
Im going to have to look in my recycling bin lol. I never read instructions...or anything for that matter. Is the quick break in basically heat cycles?

Is the brake upgrade new rotors and pads? Wondering if you considering or are doing a big brake upgrade
Yes, the kit consists of new rotors and pads. Pretty simple swap. Never say never but I don't think I'm going to do the big brake upgrade. I never thought the stock brakes were too bad even with big tires and a trailer behind the truck. This kit seems more than adequate for my needs.

Im going to have to look in my recycling bin lol. I never read instructions...or anything for that matter. Is the quick break in basically heat cycles?
Basically. You could either contact him directly or use a generic heat cycle. I’m not sure if using his cycle specifically is super important or not.

I finally got around to installing the Remmen brake upgrade kit I won on a T3G instagram/ forum contest. Thanks again @Tyler and @Remmen!!! The brake upgrade definitely makes a difference! I did the obligatory post brake job pull out of my driveway mash the gas till about 60 mph then hard stop and they are ridiculously better 😆!!
20200821_160015.jpg

Total chaos spindle gussets.
20200821_130423.jpg

I had to pull the glamper project out of my tiny shop to make room for the truck. It actually looks allot smaller out of the small work space.
20200821_081730.jpg

How long did it take youto swap out?

How long did it take youto swap out?
The whole job took me about 5 hours but went super slow on the welding to prevent the spindles from warping. If you're referring to just the brakes, that took less than an hour to swap rotors and pads. I spent more time looking for the right size bolt to get the old rotors off than actually working....

The whole job took me about 5 hours but went super slow on the welding to prevent the spindles from warping. If you're referring to just the brakes, that took less than an hour to swap rotors and pads. I spent more time looking for the right size bolt to get the old rotors off than actually working....

Yeah, I was wondering about the brakes. Thx.

Had to take the Taco down to the dealer today. CEL came on for a knock sensor short and the trans went into a weird limp mode. Turns out a pack rat ate through the wiring underneath the intake manifold and caused about $2k in damage. The fix requires pulling the intake off just to access the sensors and wires....I don't have the time or patience for this right now so letting the dealer handle it.

IMG_2972.jpg

F@#king soy covered wiring...

Man what a bummer! That $2k could have gone to something a whole hell of a lot cooler.

Had to take the Taco down to the dealer today. CEL came on for a knock sensor short and the trans went into a weird limp mode. Turns out a pack rat ate through the wiring underneath the intake manifold and caused about $2k in damage. The fix requires pulling the intake off just to access the sensors and wires....I don't have the time or patience for this right now so letting the dealer handle it.

IMG_2972.jpg

F@#king soy covered wiring...

WTF!

Skeptical if this rodent repeller works but had to do something to at least make myself feel better about future rat attacks.
20201119_133842.jpg

Also F@#K you rat!!
20201113_082611.jpg

Back