• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Looking to Tune the Tacoma

WhiteJack

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hello all,

joined this thread looking for info/advice on tuning the Tacoma. I just got a 2021 Tacoma sport. Should I wait to reach a certain mileage before considering a tune? Which tunes have you guys done to your own truck? Did you do the tune yourself or did somebody else do it for you? Where could someone near DetroitMichigan go to get it done?

I would feel better doing it myself but the OVTune program cost as much as the tune itself.
I just don’t know if it is worth the money and trouble.

Any help is appreciated, thank you for your time

Guess I’ll go f*ck myself then
K. Bad attitude. Usually I'll go fuck all, but I also understand people are busy.

This is a hard one to answer. Saying OVTune costs as much as the tune itself.
I think I paid $700-800 and still flashed it myself. That was OVTuned + VFTuner upgrade. It's different for each user.
You're gonna have to pay for VFTuner and the cable. Once you have that you can choose to purchase a custom tuner.

Better to do it yourself. You'll pay almost the same amount to have a tune flashed and not get hardware, but doing it yourself it'll come out to the same price, then have the cable to flash or update yourself anytime.

@TermLimits's Valley Runner has been good for me.

Once you pay, get the cable and download Valley Runner, just flash and go. You don't tune anything yourself. Just flash it.

Last edited:
Guess I’ll go f*ck myself then
Well, that would be one option. I suggest you look at mr nobody’s threads. He is the expert on just about anything tacoma related. If that doesn’t work, I would recommend that you make sure there is no sand in your vaseline.

I still don't get how this works and what the steps and hardware required to do the tunes.

I still don't get how this works and what the steps and hardware required to do the tunes.

1. https://vftuner.com/products/vforest-tuner-software-flash-cable
2. Email their help desk with your order#, vehicle and personal info. You will need to know the actual ECU ID of your truck. It will go by year and transmission. They will have default ECU ID's from the factory unless you had a TSB update. Sometimes you might not even know.
2a. Update to newest ECU ID for your year/transmission. Sometimes the dealer will do it. Call around and find a cool dealer. Literally takes them 5-10 minutes. Sometimes they will say nothing is wrong with your truck and they can't replicate the issue. A lot of the TSB for ECU updates seem to be fixing shifting issues.
2b. Download Techstream. I was forced to go this route because the dealership here sucks. Search the internet for Techstream V12.20.019. You'll find it on a Tacoma forum. Find tonered's posts. That's when you know you're close. It was him or someone else mentioned in his post that has a complete walkthrough guide to installing and updating.
3. Wait to received the USB dongle and cable.
4. You can either buy the tune packs from them for $300-$350 or find a custom tune. I've been using @TermLimits 's Valley Runner. He's active on here, replies fast and has always been helpful.
There's also a Valley Runner thread on this forum.
5. Once you get the hardware in the mail, install the drivers on a laptop. Start up the VFTuner software and register your VIN. Should be instant and will need internet connection.
6. Have your tune file ready.
7. Turn ignition to 2nd mode without starting the truck. The one where it will power everything and you're able to open the windows without starting it up.
8. Have everything off in the truck. A/C. Radio, any accessories. Good idea to have a battery tender or charger on it.
9. Plug in the dongle. Start up VFTuner. Will need internet connection. Good idea to have the laptop on a charger as well.
10. I think it's File > Flash ECU.
11. New Window opens. Click Prepare ECU. Select calibration file. Click Calibrate ECM.
Turn truck off and start it.
12. You can clear the TCU/DTC. TCU is the ECU ID I think... DTC is error codes. I'm pretty sure that's what they are. 2nd ignition mode, start up VFTuner, Prepare ECU, clear.

sd.PNG

There is a message that tells you to keep battery/truck voltage above 12v.
Also make sure the laptop doesn't die or get unplugged. The flashing process takes about 1-3 minutes tops.

This is the manual. Pretty straight forward.
I'd be happy to help you out. Seems like OV didn't update the terms to match between the application and manual. Instead of saying Flash ECM or whatever it is, it says Select Calibration File or whatever.
I could probably make an easier post to go step by step with picture. But it's pretty self explanatory and you should be able to figure it out. If you're having trouble with that, probably just pay someone to flash the tune. Someone flashing the tune and doing it yourself costs about the same. If you do it yourself you get the hardware and can do it whenever. If you pay someone, no hardware.

Last edited:
@bonifacio Good shared Info Chris. Valley Runner Tune is awesome. I loved it so much - I'm now the Official SoCal Installer for Valley Tuning. Jeff has a great product and he is working on New Upgrades - Sport Runner Tune soon !

@bonifacio Good shared Info Chris. Valley Runner Tune is awesome. I loved it so much - I'm now the Official SoCal Installer for Valley Tuning. Jeff has a great product and he is working on New Upgrades - Sport Runner Tune soon !

Hope I got it all right.

It was very Good to me. Just got to make sure you are updated with latest TSB to match the Tune file. So you need to install Techstream and set that up.

Victor

It was very Good to me. Just got to make sure you are updated with latest TSB to match the Tune file. So you need to install Techstream and set that up.

Victor

I understand that part. I've posted how or pointed people in the direction, but I don't think everyone should just go for that you know? OV/VFTuner is pretty fool proof and stuff can be unbricked. Techstream stuff, you could end up with a potato that has to be flashed by a dealer. More variables. Depending on the dealer they'll rape you. But with the tuning software it's pretty isolated to how to recover.

TL;DR : sUm PiPpiLz Iz sTuPiD

Last edited:
It seems @WhiteJack didn't stick around long enough to get educated answers, with that attitude he may be have looking for Tacomaworld?

Seriously. TW is an emotional alligator pit.

But as far as tuning goes, I shelled out for a Tactrix cable to do Techstream stuff but decided against getting tuning software. I don't want to constantly tweak the ECU, just "fix" the stock values. I went to Chan Chau for his CVC tune and I have no regrets. I suspect most if not all tunes take care of the constant gear hunting so I doubt you can go wrong if you only want to solve that.

BTW, I'll gladly do TS customizations for anyone willing to meet in my area. This expensive cable should be put to use, and I'd love to save someone from getting reamed by a dealership for things we should be able to do on our own.

I got the OTT tune on mine yesterday and it’s night and day. Made me keep my truck.

Back