• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Locking E-brakes, As mention earlier..

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Today was the third time to Toyota dealer…3x…for brakes locking up…Only thing the mechanic was able to do, is add lubricant…. The mechanic said don’t drive thru water, when it rains or drive thru muddle areas..Don ‘T use the hand brakes! Let it dry..
Even if I replace the E-cables the problem will remain because of the way drum brakes work , unless you change to Disc-brakes..

Toyota mechanics? Or the way Toyota drums are design..I wonder? Maybe just my truck ..a lemon?
Anyways. The problem has been reduce..a lot.. mileage is better…a few weeks ago under 12 miles today under 15…
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Well know issue. It is poor design, but Toyota will never admit it as they would have to fix all those trucks out there. They'll also freeze if they get wet and it gets cold.

The mechanics advice is really the only way to avoid problems.

Man, I always use mine. It's as much a habit as wearing a seatbelt. I prefer to have more than one thing holding the truck in place. I suppose while camping you can just use wheel chocks if there was a water crossing, though. But for everyday use that'd be annoying

Hopefully one day Toyota Tacomas will come with 4-disc brakes…drums are outdated I think?
It seems Toyota did NOT design our trucks for water crossings? Yet they advertise as a great off road truck…as long as you do not take it off road…? Um?

As for crawl control? I prefer front and rear lockers! Like the Colorado offers…
Toyota rear lockers …a bit unless ..can only use under 5 mph and once you start moving ..you must disengage..

As far as for my brakes locking up…it just happen again..going up a wet hilly road…

I would like to have both E- brakes replace? Buy I don’t think it is cover under warranty?
Oh well…
Aloha

Back