• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Location for mounting front camera

Meclizine

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Midnight Black
Hey, folks. I have an anytime backup/front camera kit half installed. The bypass and switch all work great, I just haven't chosen a place for the front camera and routed the lines. For those who installed an aftermarket front camera, where'd you put it? In the grill is my last resort.

In particular, has anyone mounted it underneath?

Trying to decide that for myself right now. Did you do the anytime switch, or the steering wheel control? I haven't decided which yet. I like the switch, but it is the 'small' style and won't fit in the one 'long' dash receptacle I have remaining (the one last blank on the left of the steering wheel). If I use the switch, I have to get a new plate or remove my AC power converter switch (which is useless) and replace it with that.

I got the better camera, but that's because it came with the kit by default. Looks just like what you linked

I moved some switches around, I'll take pictures in a bit!

Stock bumper? Mine is mounted in the grill. I know that’s the last option for you but it’s a good spot I think and it looks factory in my opinion. And no it doesn’t Interfere with the sensor. Below the grill might work but you might see a lot of the bumper depending how it’s mounted

Attachments

• 89DF0648-D277-41C9-A953-C08CF07695A8.jpeg
    89DF0648-D277-41C9-A953-C08CF07695A8.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 209
Oh, yeah, stock bumper. No major armor yet and I don't mind relocating if I need to in the future.

IMG_20220204_171233385.jpg

IMG_20220204_171227357.jpg

That's what I did with my switches. To relocate the rear window switch I bought a harness extension. That's a 3D printed switch panel in place of the cubby. I can't stop thinking about whether mounting it underneath to give a view of where the wheels are would be awesome. The thing is, for parking I don't anticipate using the front much so It'd be nice if I could place it for better off pavement use.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, stock bumper. No major armor yet and I don't mind relocating if I need to in the future.

IMG_20220204_171233385.jpg

IMG_20220204_171227357.jpg

That's what I did with my switches. To relocate the rear window switch I bought a harness extension. That's a 3D printed switch panel in place of the cubby. I can't stop thinking about whether mounting it underneath to give a view of where the wheels are would be awesome. The thing is, for parking I don't anticipate using the front much so It'd be nice if I could place it for better off pavement use.
Mount it on the front skid plate lol. Just don’t hit anything lol

Mount it on the front skid plate lol. Just don’t hit anything lol
See, I had a similar thought. But also that I'd ruin it pretty quick. I'm going to crawl under there tomorrow morning and take a look for potential mounting spots.

Crawled under the truck today. Best place I could find is the same place as @mgmyota. I don't love it, because it will get pretty dirty, but it provides a good angle and looks like a factory install like the newer Taco's. Besides, I have an aftermarket steel bumper so no way to mount it there.

IMG_20220205_102005559.jpg
IMG_20220205_101928927.jpg

Well, there's an option. I like it but I have doubts about long term durability of the camera. But I can just buy a spare now and hope for the best. If it's sheared off my first trip I'll make a bracket and hang it off the rear of the transfer case. I don't plan to do serious rock crawling and with a view of the undercarriage I can be even more agile (for a DCLB, at least) and avoid destroying it. Flying rocks? Not much I can do about that. I still need to get the exhaust rerouted so for now the camera isn't the lowest part, anyway.

Crawled under the truck today. Best place I could find is the same place as @mgmyota. I don't love it, because it will get pretty dirty, but it provides a good angle and looks like a factory install like the newer Taco's. Besides, I have an aftermarket steel bumper so no way to mount it there.
Not a bad place, really. I just tested a location further back with similar results, I think

I like the undercarriage view, but these camera's aren't cheap nor disposable. Thanks for sharing.

I like the undercarriage view, but these camera's aren't cheap nor disposable. Thanks for sharing.
I understand. I couldn't figure out a way to run the wire there, anyway. Too many hazards right there. I may come up with a bracket and put it somewhere a little safer. But I'm still determined for an undercarriage view.

Now, if I wanted to overengineer this I would make a bracket with an actuator to deploy the camera from a safely tucked up place upon activation of the bypass relay. But that'd be... crazy, right? Or would it?

Alright, I went and did it. It's on the rear diff. Let's see how it holds up! I routed the wiring along the harness already present (ABS & locker I assume), and then up underneath the rear seats. I cut the green (guide lines) and white (mirror image) wires, for reference.

Since I do mostly solo trips I rarely have anyone to spot me through rough sections. This will help a lot with that since I can see underneath in real time. I honestly don't need it for parking so I decided to get creative with mounting location.

IMG_20221224_151331368_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221226_104315660_HDR.jpg

Alright, I went and did it. It's on the rear diff. Let's see how it holds up! I routed the wiring along the harness already present (ABS & locker I assume), and then up underneath the rear seats. I cut the green (guide lines) and white (mirror image) wires, for reference.

Since I do mostly solo trips I rarely have anyone to spot me through rough sections. This will help a lot with that since I can see underneath in real time. I honestly don't need it for parking so I decided to get creative with mounting location.

IMG_20221224_151331368_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221226_104315660_HDR.jpg
Very nice! Does the diff vibrate give any form of movement? Also assuming it may get hot. What is it mounted to? Did you use any dampener or insulation? If you didn't, it could help in the long run. Wouldn't hurt it.

Very nice! Does the diff vibrate give any form of movement? Also assuming it may get hot. What is it mounted to? Did you use any dampener or insulation? If you didn't, it could help in the long run. Wouldn't hurt it.
Based on my limited testing vibrations haven't been an issue. To be honest I didn't consider the heat from the diff., but it's mounted on an angle bracket off the... thing (locker sensor?) bolted to the passenger side of my housing. I'm hoping that will thermally isolate it enough. I'll find out.

Hey, folks. I have an anytime backup/front camera kit half installed. The bypass and switch all work great, I just haven't chosen a place for the front camera and routed the lines. For those who installed an aftermarket front camera, where'd you put it? In the grill is my last resort.

In particular, has anyone mounted it underneath?

I had mounted mine underneath and didn’t like it because it wouldn’t show any depth. I ended up purchasing one on eBay that is made to insert in the Toyota emblem on the grill.

I had mounted mine underneath and didn’t like it because it wouldn’t show any depth. I ended up purchasing one on eBay that is made to insert in the Toyota emblem on the grill.
Which is where most front cameras get mounted, and it makes sense. My truck didn't come with a front camera in the grill so I decided to get creative with the Anytime Backup kit. Plus, I only feel the need for a rear camera for parking so I mounted the front for sketchy roads. Where did you have yours mounted when it was underneath? I'm curious since there aren't many good options down there.

@bonifacio, I got a better shot of the bracket. Apologies, everything is wet and I didn't want to crawl under the truck.

IMG_20221228_092611694_HDR.jpg

I put mine under the "YO" in the TRD Pro grill. Good angle and visibility.

Which is where most front cameras get mounted, and it makes sense. My truck didn't come with a front camera in the grill so I decided to get creative with the Anytime Backup kit. Plus, I only feel the need for a rear camera for parking so I mounted the front for sketchy roads. Where did you have yours mounted when it was underneath? I'm curious since there aren't many good options down there.

@bonifacio, I got a better shot of the bracket. Apologies, everything is wet and I didn't want to crawl under the truck.

IMG_20221228_092611694_HDR.jpg
I used a bracket to attach it to the plastic of the bumper but I ended up getting a new bumper for my winch

Back