• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Light Bar

IDAHO1811

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
I went to the Toyota dealership where I purchased my Tacoma 3 months ago. I was looking for a Light Bar that would look good and work well. The dealer showed me one that fits in the front grill opening....above the bumper. I forgot to ask him if it is adjustable. I was just wondering if anyone has this set up. Does it need much adjustment to set it up for the road or is it good to go out of the box? I was told they would need the truck for 4 hrs to install.

As a side note. I will be heading up to the farm to test the Crawl System 4X4. Has anyone done this? I was told that when you put it into gear it will make quite a bit of noise and this is normal.

Best to Ya
Mike

Sorry I can't help with the light bar. As for the crawl system it is quite noisy but works great! Noise is normal!

Mike:
Craw control is noisy. It is constantly applying brake and distributing tire rotation. But it does work well. I prefer to drive the vehicle myself.
What light bar is the dealer recommending/installing? There is a lot of crappy knock off's you should watch out for.
Rigid, Diode Dynamics, and Baja Industries are all good brands.

Light bar is an easy project. Two brackets, wire to power and a switch. Bright enough to shoot down a small plane!

Attachments

• C713BD94-CE9A-430B-8305-6F245F1F509A.jpeg
    C713BD94-CE9A-430B-8305-6F245F1F509A.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 47
Thank you. I think the light bar is Rigid...not sure but will check on it. Pretty dang spendy for sure.

Mike:
I bought my Rigid 30 SR Pro Lightbar for $640, just for reference. Labor Day sale from @Battle Born Offroad. Great company to work with. Fast shipping.

Thanks
I believe that's where the dealer got mine. It's gonna cost me around $900 installed. Petersons will warranty it for as long as I have the truck.

My son Seth (lives in Bozeman) bought a 4 Runner and changed out the wheels and tires. Had the local shop there put the 2" lift kit in on the front end. Really nice looking.
Can you send me the link to your clubs web site?
Take care Mike

Thanks
I believe that's where the dealer got mine. It's gonna cost me around $900 installed. Petersons will warranty it for as long as I have the truck.

My son Seth (lives in Bozeman) bought a 4 Runner and changed out the wheels and tires. Had the local shop there put the 2" lift kit in on the front end. Really nice looking.
Take care Mike
406Cruisers.com

Cali lightbar mounted behind grill. Works great. Next up, replacing the OEM LED fog lights with yellow Diode Dynamic ones for a different color for lighting up the dark road where the white (blue) light spectrum gets gobbled up.

Thanks

Take care Mike

That's insane! Rigid is quality. If you're cool with spending the money, go for it. Are they warrantying their work or the lightbar itself/components and install? It's a very simple install. You can do it safely and cleanly. It's not a difficult one and with the right guidance it will be dealership quality. I can walk you through it thoroughly.

Not sure what brackets/mounts they would use or what mounting method.
Best mounts I've found are the CaliRaised ones. Fairly price compared to all the others. Sturdiest one out there.
I didn't like the mounting hardware, so I grabbed all stainless hardware myself. That's cheap and the total is still less than most. Most others just being a one point mount. I do not recommend their lightbar. It's not bad and could work for most people, but just not a fan of some of the cheaper brands.
k8MHhQ.jpg

Even if you grabbed the Rigid yourself, the dealership is raping you in labor. Rigid does offer a limited lifetime warranty anyway. Check out BajaDesigns. I prefer BD over the others. Honestly $900 for the light and install is ridiculous. Hate seeing dealerships get away with that. Even with whatever warranty they say they'll cover.
I'd say call a couple car/audio shops. They'll hit you for an hour or 2. Legit takes like 30 minutes. A good shop will do quality work and super clean installs. They'll have better switch options. Where a lot of dealers will just slap in some crap hideous outdated button in a random spot. Diode Dynamics and Extreme LED Lightbars are also pretty good.

Thank you for the offer I appreciate it. The dealership was the only option I had at the time.

Mike

Back