• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Leaking Fox 2.5 Tundra Shock

UnpavedPreferred

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I got my Fox 4A mid travel lift installed from Accutune. Just over a week later I'm sitting with a leaking Tundra shock (FOX-883-26-006) that they sell with the 4A kit. Cleaning and checking fittings but it's leaking from here:
IMG_2983.jpg

I've floated an email to Accutune but I'm nearly certain the situation will be: ship the shock in (while the truck sits somewhere not drive-able) and wait for them to look at it. Then wait for the shock to slowly make it's way back to me. If that is the case, I'm contemplating buying another set of shocks so I can at least drive the truck but I'm still grumpy at the situation.

The leaking shock is being shipped to CA via FedEx. I had to put on the old Bilstein stock shocks so I can at least drive the truck.

Further observations to my leaking issue:
Off the truck (zero compression), shock does not leak.
On the truck, no movement, shock slightly leaks (between class 1 and 2).
After driving the truck, dripping and oil spots on the wheel well (class 3).

Accutune said they will take the shock apart and inspect it. Then rebuild it and leak test it overnight. It's unknown if that will include putting the shock under load.

Upvote 0
Hope they're at least covering the shipping costs and expediting it.
I had to pay for shipping out to CA. I was told it would be put ahead of other work. Shipping back to me at their cost. With the holiday weekend coming up, I'm going to estimate 3 weeks before I have it back.

Upvote 0
My guess is Accutune is on the hook since they take these apart to revalve them depending on your performance selection.

What suspension tune did you select, @UnpavedPreferred ?

Really interested in how this thing handles with the Tundra rear shocks. Might go with that setup over a stage 5 to see if I like it, but I plan to beat it up pretty good so I'm unsure if the tundra shocks provide enough travel.

Upvote 0
I believe it was set to the adventure tune. Just because most of my driving to get places is on pavement. Accutune does take them apart to change the valving so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Of course I'm second guessing my purchase and wondering if ADS or something similar would have been better to get.

Upvote 0
I believe you made the right choice. You really can't go wrong with Fox, just a bummer that Accutune borked the rebuild. Mistakes happen, unfortuntaely.

I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the setup!

Upvote 0
Shock arrived from Accutune today. I'll get the shocks installed sometime today and hopefully it won't leak but that missing o-ring does seem to scratch my head.

From the PDF that I was sent regarding the work done:
* Missing top cap o-ring.
* Replaced shock body, top cap and top cap o-ring for good measure.
* Replaced o-ring at reservoir fitting.

Upvote 0
Shock arrived from Accutune today. I'll get the shocks installed sometime today and hopefully it won't leak but that missing o-ring does seem to scratch my head.

From the PDF that I was sent regarding the work done:
* Missing top cap o-ring.
* Replaced shock body, top cap and top cap o-ring for good measure.
* Replaced o-ring at reservoir fitting.
well, at least the wait for parts wasn't that bad. The struggle is for real out there!!!

Upvote 0
So far so good with the shock. While I'm disappointed in the situation (the leaking shock), Accutune got the shock and turned it around within a few days. I'm sure it being brand new it was sent to the head of the line.

Upvote 0
Back