• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Leaf Spring Comparison: All-Pro, Allcan, Icon, Dobinsons, Deavers, Archive, Dakars

So if I’m undertstanding right, there doesn’t really seem to be any good options at the moment aside from Deaver leaf packs, not including the J66?

So if I’m undertstanding right, there doesn’t really seem to be any good options at the moment aside from Deaver leaf packs, not including the J66?
I certainly don’t have the longitudinal (or breadth) of experience as some of the other members on here, but my personal experience with the Dobinson 111-R (mid range ~600lb constant load rated) leaf pack has been excellent since I installed them about a year and a half ago.

When underloaded (250 pounds, leer cap and some gear) they ride a bit stiff and gave me approx 3 inch initial lift in the rear. 2.75” after settling last I checked. With closer to the 600# they ride beautifully (I have Elka 2.0” rear struts FWIW). The most I’ve carried fully loaded was around 800lb and I still had 2” lift and tapped the bump stops once on the highway on a big old dip.

I did the poly bushing and greasable pin kit also from dobinson, and just bought new OEM shackles rather than try to get the old pressed bushings cut out. I get a little squeak on the passenger side from time to time but not obnoxious amounts and from what I’ve read with some other options, it’s better/best case scenario.

I would definitely recommend Dobinson’s packs based on my experience.

Ive been through a couple of leaf springs, recently just switching from Deaver's to All Pros Expedition 2.0 leaves and in my own opinion they outperform the Deaver's especially under heavy load. My Deaver Stage 3 leaves made it barely past 2 years (approx. 50K miles) of use before they started separating and sagging really bad under load. Deaver did offer to re-arch the leaf pack for me (Would've had to pay shipping from MI to CA and pay for the service), financially that wasn't an option when compared to just getting a new pack.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The All Pro Expedition 2.0 leaves ride smooth...I do have approx. 600lb's+ constant in the bed, in addition to towing an Off Grid Trailer Expedition 2.0 (290lb tongue weight) there is minimal sag when fully weighted down. If I towed a trailer with my deavers I would be riding the bumpstops the entire time (even when the deavers were new). Daily driving the All Pros handle great, off-road with small chatter its smooth, and even going up sandy hills I have yet to experience any axle wrap. During high speed dune passes the leaves keep up the best they can (similar performance as Deaver's on the dunes). Ive had these leaves for a few months now and about 10K miles and from my own experience they are the best springs ive had yet... (Owned Icon AAL, Dakars, Deavers, All Pro), no experience yet with Dobinson

To clarify - there were ZERO fitment issues with the All Pro Expedition 2.0's with Archives Hammer Hangars. The bushings are the correct size and no spacer is needed. The only downfall with the All-Pro's are that they don't have a spot to attach the E-brake line (easy to modify on your own).

Link to All Pros Leaf Springs:

Photo shown is our setup fully loaded with the All Pro Springs:
ahgfd.jpg

I certainly don’t have the longitudinal (or breadth) of experience as some of the other members on here, but my personal experience with the Dobinson 111-R (mid range ~600lb constant load rated) leaf pack has been excellent since I installed them about a year and a half ago.

When underloaded (250 pounds, leer cap and some gear) they ride a bit stiff and gave me approx 3 inch initial lift in the rear. 2.75” after settling last I checked. With closer to the 600# they ride beautifully (I have Elka 2.0” rear struts FWIW). The most I’ve carried fully loaded was around 800lb and I still had 2” lift and tapped the bump stops once on the highway on a big old dip.

I did the poly bushing and greasable pin kit also from dobinson, and just bought new OEM shackles rather than try to get the old pressed bushings cut out. I get a little squeak on the passenger side from time to time but not obnoxious amounts and from what I’ve read with some other options, it’s better/best case scenario.

I would definitely recommend Dobinson’s packs based on my experience.

Dobinsons are a better design than Dakars, I like Dobinsons design overall, appropriate main leaf thickness, except they STILL have the shackle rubbing issue because the 2nd leaf extends inside shackle (carryover from Aus. Hilux design) and may cut up the shackle when heavily articulating.

Other thing it only has a 1/4 wrap on front eye like stock springs, not full military wrap for severe duty

This was Tyler's 112 pack with stock hangers, not sure if Dobinsons has since revised this. If they say they have, I'll need to see a pic of current production to believe them

1635788312030.jpg

My current suspension set up is JBA control arms with locked offroad from and rear RR shocks/coilovers with approximately around 200-300 constant load in the bed with occasionally heavier towing. Based off everything I’ve read and the info on the newer Dobinson springs, I’m probably gonna wait out for the archive springs coming out soon.

Dobinsons are a better design than Dakars, I like Dobinsons design overall, appropriate main leaf thickness, except they STILL have the shackle rubbing issue because the 2nd leaf extends inside shackle (carryover from Aus. Hilux design) and may cut up the shackle when heavily articulating.

Other thing it only has a 1/4 wrap on front eye like stock springs, not full military wrap for severe duty

This was Tyler's 112 pack with stock hangers, not sure if Dobinsons has since revised this. If they say they have, I'll need to see a pic of current production to believe them

1635788312030.jpg
I’ll have to crawl under the truck and take a look/photo of mine. I frankly don’t remember. That looks gnarly :oops:

I’ll have to crawl under the truck and take a look/photo of mine. I frankly don’t remember. That looks gnarly :oops:

Originally the 110 and 111 had plenty of clearance to shackles, only 112 had interference. Then Dobinsons made 2nd leaf extend inside shackle on 110 and 111 as well, but it's not as bad as pictured, still rubs tho, and I suspect worse if you wheel them hard

Originally the 110 and 111 had plenty of clearance to shackles, only 112 had interference. Then Dobinsons made 2nd leaf extend inside shackle on 110 and 111 as well, but it's not as bad as pictured, still rubs tho, and I suspect worse if you wheel them hard
Good to know. I looked earlier—shackles are intact and the leaf pack doesnt really resemble the picture above so I wonder which version I have. Either way, I don’t wheel the truck crazy hard so I’m probably in the clear.

Any updates here, about to purchase rear springs, leaning towards Dobinsons

Last edited:
Is this normal for Deaver? These are Stage 1.
I continue to snap the anti friction pads and my overloads seem to slip out of alignment when under heavy articulation. Nothing terribly concerning but the pack is only a year old and I have replaced 4 anti friction pads and had to loosen everything up, realign and then torque everything down again at least twice.
I make sure all shackle bolts are 89 ft# and under load when tightening and check my u-bolts often at 80ft #.

No complaints about the ride height, ride quality and hauling capacity.
Is it normal to just expect more maintenance when going with an aftermarket leaf pack?

1686514149750.png
1686514252696.png
1686514208723.png
1686514175835.png
1686516089598.png

1686516139145.png

I continue to snap the anti friction pads and my overloads seem to slip out of alignment when under heavy articulation. Nothing terribly concerning but the pack is only a year old and I have replaced 4 anti friction pads and had to loosen everything up, realign and then torque everything down again at least twice.
I make sure all shackle bolts are 89 ft# and under load when tightening and check my u-bolts often at 80ft #.

Is it normal to just expect more maintenance when going with an aftermarket leaf pack?

1686514149750.png
1686514252696.png
1686514208723.png
1686514175835.png
1686516089598.png

1686516139145.png

I don't think it's normal for the tip inserts to crack, never heard that happening with Deavers. It could be the maker of the inserts who sell them to the spring manufacturer has changed or are getting inferior product made from cheaper plastic.

I recommend bumping up the Ubolt torque to 90 or 100 lbft. Another thing to check next time the Ubolt plates are off is the center pin, see if it isn't tight enough.

1686514149750.png
1686514252696.png
1686514208723.png
1686514175835.png
1686516089598.png

1686516139145.png

I have the same springs and to my knowledge I haven't broken any friction pads yet and I've had them on the truck for over 2 years. I did just notice that I need to straighten out those shackle clamp things. I'm going to be doing a good pre trip maintenance in the near future so I'll double check my friction pads. Did you get the replacements from deaver or another source? I have been wanting to get replacements anyways.

I have the same springs and to my knowledge I haven't broken any friction pads yet and I've had them on the truck for over 2 years. I did just notice that I need to straighten out those shackle clamp things. I'm going to be doing a good pre trip maintenance in the near future so I'll double check my friction pads. Did you get the replacements from deaver or another source? I have been wanting to get replacements anyways.
Amazon. Funny thing is the ones I have replaced seem to fit better than the ones that came on the pack.
1686535459056.png

After 2 years of testing on dozens of trucks, Archive Leaf Springs are live and right now on SALE 15% OFF
They've done very well when directly compared to the best leaf springs on the market
100% MADE IN USA with US steel. Please choose to spend slightly more than the overseas options and support American craftsmen

After 2 years of testing on dozens of trucks, Archive Leaf Springs are live and right now on SALE 15% OFF
They've done very well when directly compared to the best leaf springs on the market
100% MADE IN USA with US steel. Please choose to spend slightly more than the overseas options and support American craftsmen
How long is this 15% sale good for? When does it expire???

Back