• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Recall Latest TSB Update (Fixed Shifting)

SD_Taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Inferno
What’s the scoop with this new TSB update that’s supposed to fix gear selection/shifting? Has anyone here did this update and if so, notice anything? Thanks!

The TSB is a huge improvement over the factory tune. I'm on OVTune now and it's even better than the TSB.

Upvote 0
I had the tsb done a while back but it shifts like shit again. My daily drive to work has an elevation change of 2500 ft, so there was really no "normal" driving condition for the learning curve. Thought about the OV Tune, but doesn"t that require a normal driving condition as well?

Upvote 0
Thought about the OV Tune, but doesn"t that require a normal driving condition as well?

Pretty sure the newest version of OVTune suspends the learning process of the truck. I've had OVTune for about 6,000 miles and it's still behaving like when I first flashed it.

All that said, it's good, but it's not perfect. It's as good as it can be given the limitations of the trucks design and components.

Upvote 0
Then maybe this is something I should seriously consider as I was pretty pleased for the first few weeks after the tsb.
$$ though..

Upvote 0
Then maybe this is something I should seriously consider as I was pretty pleased for the first few weeks after the tsb.
$$ though..

Definitely not cheap, but I'm pretty happy with the purchase. Now to convince the wife I need the upcoming turbo kit. ?

Upvote 0
I have a lot of shit I can't convince the wife I need. Good luck!! ;)

Upvote 0
Definitely not cheap, but I'm pretty happy with the purchase. Now to convince the wife I need the upcoming turbo kit. ?

When you install that turbo kit (I'm confident in your ability to persuade your wife ?), do you need to reflash the ECU? Do you need to get a new image from OVTune to do that and will it cost more? I contacted them but don't think my question was worded well. I'd like to flash the ECU right away but if I later add CAI and aftermarket exhaust I'd need to flash again and was wondering about that process.

Upvote 0
When you install that turbo kit (I'm confident in your ability to persuade your wife ?), do you need to reflash the ECU? Do you need to get a new image from OVTune to do that and will it cost more? I contacted them but don't think my question was worded well. I'd like to flash the ECU right away but if I later add CAI and aftermarket exhaust I'd need to flash again and was wondering about that process.

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

To answer your question, @OVTune has already stated that whomever buys the software now, and then later buys the turbo kit will not have to buy the software. The price of the turbo kit will be discounted for the cost of the software. You will then get the kit with the new software and just have to flash after installing the turbo.

?

Upvote 0
I did it about a week ago and I did notice a difference. The truck definitely feels better. It's not a rocket now like some are suggesting, but it is noticeable. The truck is doing a much better job of selecting and holding the appropriate gear. It also does a much better job of not holding the gear to long as well. It's still not what it could be, but the shift points in relation to needed torque are vastly improved. I would definitely recommend everyone go get the update as I feel this is a solid step in the right direction for Toyota.

Is this service free by chance?

Upvote 0
Is this service free by chance?

Yes. It's a covered TSB from the dealership so it's free even out of warranty. Depending on how new your truck is it may even have the updated software on it. Pretty much anything 2019 up should have it already.

If you don't, you'll need to use key phrases like "stumbles from a full throttle start from a stop" and "stumbles worse at altitude" to get them to do it. They should just do it if you ask, but some dealers are a pain. It's a simple flash that takes a tech 10 minutes to do, if that.

Upvote 0
So to follow up to the TSP upgrade and "reflashing".
Met with the rep from Toyota at dealership to explain the TSP reflash and transmission lag problem.
So here's the downlow from the latest version of a pro, mind you I met him at the stealership.
The reason for the transmission shifting issues and how it constantly wants to drop your RPM'S despite leaning on the gas peddle;
Its the fuel management system design with trying to be compliant with a regulation on the new truck fuel efficiencies. The computer trying to "relearn" your driving pattern is only 1/3rd of it.
Its designed for best fuel economy with the constatnt attempt to push the RPM as far below 2k as possible to achieve maximum fuel economy at any speed.
When you tow someehting its senses the load and keeps you in a higher rpm avoiding the issues, and when you go into sport shift mode then your overriding the computer and wont see it.
anyhow, so there's nothing technically wrong w the transmission/fuel system, you have to either like the way its programmed and drives with the fuel system setup like it is, or trade the truck as there's nothing more than a reflash of its learning system which can only be done 2x, per the rep.
So not good news, not bad.
ps-2 sales people working there said they come back all the time with possible customers after the test drives and don't take them if they picks up on the rpm lag, ,,,,,,,.

Upvote 0
I'm going in for my 5k service this Friday, What should I ask or what TSB applies to my 2018 Sport Tacoma?

Upvote 0
phrases like "stumbles from a full throttle start from a stop" and "stumbles worse at altitude"

I'm going in for my 5k service this Friday, What should I ask or what TSB applies to my 2018 Sport Tacoma?

Your truck may already have the TSB because of it's build date. I would use phrases like above to describe how the truck is driving and then ask them to confirm you have the updated ECU tune, and if not to update the ECU.

Upvote 0
Your truck may already have the TSB because of it's build date. I would use phrases like above to describe how the truck is driving and then ask them to confirm you have the updated ECU tune, and if not to update the ECU.

Does the OV Tune take care of this? (sorry for my ignorance on the subject).

Upvote 0
So I am very curious if this is the same problem I am having. I have a 2019 Tacoma AT. And since the day I bought it I’ve had an issue. When I reach about 45mph all the way to about 70/75 at a normal idle speed or a slight acceleration the truck feels like it’s shuttering. Shortly after buying it I had to use 4 high in the snow on my commute to work never going above 40mph and I only used it for about 10/15 miles. now it feels way worse. Then after a few thousand miles if I have to say almost stop to let someone turn so slowing down from 60 to 15 sometimes when I reapply the gas it almost feels like someone just slammed into the back of me cause I’m assuming it shifted so hard. I’ve only felt this maybe a dozen times. But the shuttering I feel every time I drive. Well long story short I took it in for my 10k service. (I complained at my 5k but got looked at like I was stupid) so this time I left my truck there for a few days so they’d actually look at it. I guess they told me there are no codes. They test drive it with a computer hooked up and gave me some lame comment about how it’s acting like it’s starving for fuel or that’s it’s crappy fuel. And there recommendation is to run better fuel (I get it all over even tried premium for a month). So I call bs. But still proceed to tell me nothing is wrong so I called my husband and he told them to flash the ecm. Currently going to pick it up tonight. But sounds like I can be only half hopeful that it solved my problem. Oh and apparently the service manager told us Toyota tech took my complaint out of their system? But that it will still be noted as a complaint on my account with the dealership? Just frustrated to have finally bought the truck I wanted for it to have these issues already. Also I screwed up myself by never test driving this actual truck cause I did my test drive in an identical one just not the color I wanted but brand new no miles didn’t figure I needed to worry. Any input/advice is appreciated. Thanks guys

Upvote 0
[U]Lreed2487[/U],, sorry to hear..

Sounds like a drastic need to get the TSB looked at for the shifting you describe.
ALSO,,, one additional point to your dealerships recommendation, they did try to say if I used premium fuel it would be more responsive, but I immediately told them to zip it before I got their crock of SH*&T additional explanation, it was almost that they kept going with reasons until they got a "he's buyin it expression face".
The most sense was the Factory rep with the fuel management system program explanation and essentially if I don't like it, sell the truck.

Upvote 0
Need some guidance here on whether I should have my truck checked or have the update done. Got my truck at the end of July and the TSB is dated mid-July.

I think the way it drives is okay, no stumbles from zero, but I do feel like it is pushing the 3-4 RPMs when driving around 65-70mph, even when I'm steady on the pedal, no hills, even terrains on highway. I have to let off the pedal for it to drop the RPMs back around 2. This is most especially true when cruise control is on and I'm just riding through a flat highway. Anyone experience this as well? Is TSB update intended to fix this sort of issue? I have a service appointment Saturday for a recall on the TSS and would like to get it done at this time, if I can.

Upvote 0
Need some guidance here on whether I should have my truck checked or have the update done. Got my truck at the end of July and the TSB is dated mid-July.

I think the way it drives is okay, no stumbles from zero, but I do feel like it is pushing the 3-4 RPMs when driving around 65-70mph, even when I'm steady on the pedal, no hills, even terrains on highway. I have to let off the pedal for it to drop the RPMs back around 2. This is most especially true when cruise control is on and I'm just riding through a flat highway. Anyone experience this as well? Is TSB update intended to fix this sort of issue? I have a service appointment Saturday for a recall on the TSS and would like to get it done at this time, if I can.

mention it to the dealer for sure. if you have an OBD reader you can tell what tune your ECU is running. the dealership can do the same for your though, if its the latest one released they can tell you so

Upvote 0

I just had the TSB done and to be honest, I feel nothing is different. I really tried to feel a difference but couldn’t. It’s worth a shot and maybe it will work better for others.

Upvote 0
I found that the tsb just makes the throttle more sensitive so it changes how much the throttle body opens since it’s electric controlled and barely helped, bbbuuutttt since I put the snorkel on it’s not jolty it’s smooth changes smooth accelerations from stop and even the points when I’m coming to a stop and it turns green before I dead stop and hit the gas, when I know it would be jolty and jump it gases smooth. I guess the problem with the trucks is when the throttle body opens it takes a second for it to get the air because of the design of where it enters so it all rushes in at the same time. Just my two cents I may be crazy though

Upvote 0
No difference in my opinion. I still don't like it. I always use premium gas. Thinking about getting a CAI to see if there is a difference.

Upvote 0
Just got back from the dealership. So, I think there are two different and separate TSB out there that seem to be floating around, which might be confusing some people and how they feel after getting an update. Maybe everyone getting the updates are feeling different things because everyone is getting different updates.... I hope this helps clarify things to a few people.

T-SB-0062 - "Stumble at Wide Open Throttle Takeoff" addressing at high altitudes.
T-SB-0058 - "Vehicle Surge Between 40 and 50 mph" - for 2016-2017 Tacomas.

I mentioned the issue I had to my dealer (5 posts up). I stated something along the lines of "my truck is pushing or surging up to 3-3.5 RPMs around 70-75 mph and when it hits those speeds, it continues to push it when I feel the RPMs should drop back down already." Also to note, I did not reference a TSB at all. They ended up doing an ECM update for T-SB-0058, specifically mentioning in the report the surges between 40 and 50 mph.

Results: my truck feels more responsive on the pedal and as soon as I am steady on the gas pedal, the RPMs drop between 1-2. I tested the 70-75 mph cruise and as soon as I hit those speeds, the RPMs dropped and I didn't feel like the truck was really trying to push RPMs to maintain those speeds. Where as before, the truck would push on the higher RPMs and thus my MPGs suffered. Overall, I feel the truck drives much "lighter" and not as "rigid".

Upvote 0
I flashed mine last week. I work for lexus so i had access to the software. The health check showed there was an available update for
my 17 ecm and ect. flashed and test drove. much smoother shifting. no early shifting on accel. to harsh shift from park to drive.
its a much more enjoyable truck now. If you are in the Austin, Tx area, hit me up.

Hey man, does this offer still stand? I live in Austin and have been wanting this ECM update to 04B04 for a long time. I have a 2017 Tacoma.

(I messaged you on TacomaWorld, but figured I'd just quote this post).

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have a 2020. Just took it in for its 10,000 mile and asked to have the TSB20 flash done. It only has 8700 miles on it. Just got it back and I can tell you it's a night and day difference. I haven't tried it on the highway yet so will have to do the second part later. So far I can just jump on the throttle and pretty much spin the tires and I've got 32s on it. I did use the keywords that identified the problem from the TSB. I had previously printed it out and handed to the tech. Also told him I had talk with Toyota corporate and that they're the ones that advise me to print it out and bring it down to the dealer. No questions asked.

Upvote 0
Back