• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ktjo Grab Handle... Dreadful

Stealthspawn

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Voodoo Blue
Little introduction... Nice to meet ya all names Steven, I got a 21' TRD Offroad,, Extended bed, Upgraded interior, Voodoo Blue Tacoma & it has been my dream truck for years & finally bought one last year.

On to my painful question lol, I bought this driverside grab handle a month ago & having a heck of a time installing it, the first time I tried the U-clip bent so I bought more online & last night I spent an hour or so trying to get it on... no luck, any of you have this & put it on correctly? Or could possibly help install it?

Thanks, Steven

Attachments

• 20210613_102527.jpg
    20210613_102527.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 124
Where are you located? I have it installed. I also had some issues installing mine. Ended up buying a new bolt. I think the hardware I was sent didn't match. It was the first batch.

I would start by threading the bolt into the U-Clip. The U-Clip will bend when it's on the mount. I ended up tapering the bolt to help get the thread started. I also lubricated it with oil.

1652036298016.png

Just make sure the tolerances don't get warped. Stripped. Whatever.

When you set the handle in, don't tighten one side at a time. Start threading the side without the U-Bolt. Once it catches and begins to thread, don't seat the handle, but while it's out, angle the bolt and get it to thread. Once the top bolt begins to thread, tighten up both. You have to angle the top a bit. Once it's tightened the U-Bolt will mold to the mount it's on and bend. It's easier to re-install after the first time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm in Troutdale, Or, Yeah I'll try that, thank you so much
Just be careful not to strip anything. The taper and oil should help it thread correctly without much force. If you feel resistance try to start over. There are inserts in the handle. I wrapped them with TESA tape then press fit them back in so they stayed in place. May even be easier to start with threading the top without seating the handle in the mold. Once you get a few turns, then go for the bottom.

Upvote 0
That thing has terrible reviews on YouTube.
I wanna say it's because people lack common sense and trouble shooting skills. It just takes a little playing with to line it up to install it. My only complaint is the cover caps need some double sided adhesive to stay. Wish it would just fit.

Upvote 0
So... I think I got it on there correctly...? Could I compare with the ones you guys did?:

Attachments

• 20220510_202258.jpg
    20220510_202258.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 20220510_202333.jpg
    20220510_202333.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0
Wish Toyota Corporate will search the internet for people looking for driver side grab bars, and develop a factory driver side grab bars?
Toyota , I would like to purchase one!
Aloha

Upvote 0
Kind of have to adjust it. Set it before tightening the bolts. Like push it in position against the bolt. Even the factory passenger side is off a little.

Attachments

• PXL_20220511_173843029.jpg
    PXL_20220511_173843029.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 121
  • PXL_20220511_174124184.jpg
    PXL_20220511_174124184.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 164
Upvote 0
Yeah, it is definitely more flush than mine, when I was doing it yesterday it seemed like when I was trying to place it it there was a blockage getting it flush with thevA pillar, did you have the same issue?

Upvote 0
Yeah, it is definitely more flush than mine, when I was doing it yesterday it seemed like when I was trying to place it it there was a blockage getting it flush with thevA pillar, did you have the same issue?
Might be little locking/hook tabs that need lined up. If you smashed it in they could be bent and stopping it from seating completely. Remove and check. Won't be perfect.

Upvote 0
I'll check it out, maybe tomorrow night if I get a chance & sunlight after work, let's meet up in the middle of the Us lmao!

Upvote 0
Back