• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Issue(s) with tire pressure?

SacFett

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
So I have the stock tires on my TRDOR. I've been having an issue where only one of my tires won't hold the proper pressure. Before it's asked, no, the tire doesn't completely deflate. What it does is drops to a few psi lower than all the rest and holds. Regardless of what I put it to. For example, I air up all my tires to 30psi - After a day and a half, three are at 30psi, and the one is at 27psi. If I air up my tires to 32psi, a day and a half later three are at 32psi, and the lame-o is at 29psi. Anybody have a similar issue, or know what in the world is causing it?
I use two different air gages to check the pressure. One of them is a standard stick and the other is a digital connected to the compressor/hose. Oh, and the third is the dash read-out.

This may sound silly, but is that tire always in the shade when you check it while the others may have been in the sun?

This may sound silly, but is that tire always in the shade when you check it while the others may have been in the sun?
Not silly at all, cause I considered it too. So at home it reads that way regardless of if I take the temp in the morning(tire in sun) or evening (tire in shade). Also, when I leave for work (4pm) tire is always in the sun - I always park in the same spot, facing northbound, and it’s the front left - and it’s always a few less than the rear left, per the dash.

My wife’s Camry had the same issue. It was once plugged and the plug let go. Had to put air in it every few days.

Had the same problem. Ultimately had a screw in it. Would slowly drain until it reached equilibrium, usually around 26 psi. It had ground down so I didn’t notice it looking at the outside of the tire. The dealership found the screw pointing inward after they unmounted the tire. Plug and patch and no issues since.

Air it up to 40 psi and break out the spray bottle with filled dish soap and water @ 50/50%.
See where its coming from,
  • Dont forget to check the around the valve stem and in it (without cap)
  • Check the inner and outer beads where they meet the rim.
  • Check the wheel itself for a pin hole or crack
If it is dropping to a certain pressure and "maintaining" that lower pressure it usually what the others have mentioned.
Its regulating itself like a relief valve (holds a certain amount back).

Sooner or later that symptom usually changes for the worse.
Do not just change the tire UNTIL you have found the problem.

NOTE:
Make sure SOMEONE is not doing it on purpose to make you crazy,.....;)
Practical jokes are not out of the equation!

Well shoot.
Looks like I’ll be having to remove the tire and check for leaks.
Thanks for all the responses folks!

+1 to the other suggestions on here, sounds like you're on the right track.

That said you won't be upset if you replace the stockers, they're pretty mediocre at everything lol.

Back