• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Is this normal?

TwoDan

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 Limited DCSB Auto
Barcelona Red
I have had my new to me 2021 Tacoma Limited for almost 2 weeks and noticed when I start the truck, it fires up and settles into idle RPM's. When I grab the shifter and move it from Park, the RPMs increase while moving it to Drive sometimes with a thud for lack of better description. Is this normal?
Dan

When you say they go up when shifting, like up 500(ish) then back down? Cause sometimes my truck will do something like that. When I cold start it, it likes to idle around 1K ish maybe a little higher sometimes, but when I put her in Drive they go to 500 ish give or take. Every now and then, seems to depend on the weather, when I shift into drive (mainly when I shift into park this happens when she still cold) they go up a little then settle

First, I am assuming this is a cold start scenario, i.e. first start in the morning.

Thuds are not normal. Drive line should not be clunking during shifting procedure.

High idle (1000-1250RPM) after a cold start is normal, it's to warm up the catalytic converters quickly.

When you shift out of park at high idle, RPMs will settle to approximately 600-650RPMs, which is also the idle range.

Agree with the above. A big "clunk" isn't normal, though a small "thud" or more of a "mmmmfffgh" (felt more than heard) as the vehicle shifts into gear is quite normal.

Back