• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Is getting the Taco I want realistic?

Darel

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I am shopping for a TRD Pro, Lunar Rock, MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND YES IT ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE 3 PEDALS.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm being unrealistic.

I'm 46 years old. I ordered a new '98 Jeep TJ from the factory and haven't bought a new vehicle since. Mostly, I've subsisted on hand-me-downs from my elderly parents who don't hold on to anything for more than 3-4 years, and I can fix anything. I want the truck I want, and it's either this Taco, or a Gladiator. I really want the Taco, but I'm just wondering if I'm being unrealistic in trying to get what I want. I've been to 7 dealerships today, and there were a grand total of 3 Tacomas on all the lots, all stripper SR5 autos.

Now, I have no intention of buying off the lot. I know I won't find what I'm looking for. I'm patient. I have time.

Problem is, every dealer tells me:
- you aren't allowed to order. Period, full stop.
- Everything en route is already spoken for
- The dealers don't even request their own stock. Whatever shows up on the truck, they have to sell.

I have no problem traveling (although getting my two trade-ins to a distant dealer could be problematic). I have no problem waiting.

Thing is, I don't know if what I'm waiting for is realistic. And I don't want to wait for the '22s and that obnoxious yellow fishing lure color to come out.

How are you guys getting or ordering your Tacos? I'm even following the "I just ordered here's my build date" threads and wondering...how?

For comparison, the fully loaded Gladiator I would consider (definite 2nd choice) does run about $10k more MSRP. However, when I factor in a dealer ~150 miles from me is offering 8% below invoice (not MSRP, INVOICE), and the Tacos are getting marked up by the dealers above MSRP, they're exactly the same price or (depending on dealer markup), possibly even less than the Taco. I can order a Jeep tomorrow and builds are running 4-6 weeks (although I just saw yesterday they're having chip shortage issues now too, soooo......).

Like I said...I can wait. But nothing tells me waiting will even get me what I want.

So how are you guys doing it? What can I do to get the truck I want? One dealer said they can "request" from the factory but even that isn't guaranteed.

And please don't turn this into a Jeep v. Toyota argument...I get it. But I want what I want, and I'm not the least bit interested in an access cab auto SR5. This will be the last truck I ever buy and I don't feel like settling.

Thanks for any tips and insight, or maybe just tell me to go to hell.....
Darel

Buy the gladiator. I had a jeep JL and loved it. Wife didn't like the look of the gladiator, or I'd be in one now.

Big thing for me is I do LOTS of highway driving, so the mileage and practicality penalty knock it way down. But there really aren't any other options for pickups with three pedals. I do like the Jeeps interior a little better though, and that's where I'll be all that time...

Although it's encouraging to hear from someone who had both.

The gas mileage in the Tacoma is slightly better, but the engine/transmission combination is light years better in the jeep. No gear hunting, plenty of torque. All of us on this forum spending hours talking about and pondering how to improve our engine-transmission algorithms with ovtunes, regearing, and (for a few brave souls) turbocharging.

No gear hunting ever when you get a manual. ;)

Seeing as this will be the last truck I ever buy, I have some concerns about the Jeeps out of warranty. My gut tells me that if I'm going to b uy a truck good for 300K miles, it should be the Toy.

A month ago I test drove a used 2019 trd off-road. They wanted the same amount as a new one so I ordered a new trd off-road. They said it will take 3 months; however, the dealer was able to divert (or trade) from another dealer so just a two month wait. For trd pro it might be different.

OK so the "you can't order" thing was either some sort of BS sales tactic, because I also talked to my local dealer and they're fine with ordering, as was the one mentioned above in Ohio.

Back