• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Interior light swap

Henrry

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I purchased Auxito LED bulbs for my Tacoma to improve the interior lighting for today's standards. Installation was very easy and quick; just pop off / unscrew the covers, pull out the old bulb (they get really hot if illuminated prior), pop in the new LED bulb (make sure they are facing the right way. if not, just turn them around), and put the covers back on. Total time for me was maybe 20 minutes as I was figured out how to remove the covers myself. I was only able to replace the front dome lighting, 2nd row lighting (two on either side), and license plate lighting on the trunk of my SUV. I was unable to change out the cargo ceiling light (souldered) and the cargo floor lighting (different style bulb), but those will be replaced soon. A total of 6 of the 10 bulbs were used and I have the remainder in my center console in the off chance one breaks or dies.
https://www.auxito.com/collections/...d-map-light-bulbs-for-2005-2021-toyota-tacoma
1685674140675.png

Question....
I'm 3G and looks like you might be 2G from the Profile Pic.

On my truck when the remote gets close, the interior lights fade up from dark. It's a nice classy touch. I'm looking at doing the same as you did and replacing all of the bulbs with LEDs. Partially for better light and partially for less current draw.

BUT....! I don't want to lose the soft fade up from black to a lit cabin.
In my previous truck (5G Ranger) the bed lights and puddle lights faded up from black similarly. When I traded them out for LEDs, they just popped on to the brightest setting.

When you put LEDs in the truck, do you lose the fade up feature?

Question....
I'm 3G and looks like you might be 2G from the Profile Pic.

On my truck when the remote gets close, the interior lights fade up from dark. It's a nice classy touch. I'm looking at doing the same as you did and replacing all of the bulbs with LEDs. Partially for better light and partially for less current draw.

BUT....! I don't want to lose the soft fade up from black to a lit cabin.
In my previous truck (5G Ranger) the bed lights and puddle lights faded up from black similarly. When I traded them out for LEDs, they just popped on to the brightest setting.

When you put LEDs in the truck, do you lose the fade up feature?
No. The proximity lighting still fade on with leds, probably just faster. I put leds in the night I brought my truck home, so can't compare the speed, but it looks like it works fine.

No. The proximity lighting still fade on with leds, probably just faster. I put leds in the night I brought my truck home, so can't compare the speed, but it looks like it works fine.

@drizzoh - Grab some Meso puddles. :) They fade too at the same matching rate of the interior lights. YASSS.

Back