• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Insurance for mods

YoYo_Ghost

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
White
Has anyone had luck getting after market mods insured? And if so, who do you use for your car insurance?

I don't know that I have any mods worthy of being insured except maybe my canopy. I would have expected that would be covered in my regular insurance though

After market mods are not covered in regular insurance policies. Just called USAA and the most they will cover for after market mods/customization is $5K. I have way more than that into this truck. And that is only parts, not labor.
Anyone have better luck with other companies?

Did some digging and after market mods may be covered under your homeowners insurance in the event your vehicle is stolen (which is what I am most concerned about). However, it appears to only cover items that didn't come with the vehicle that you installed (example provided was an aftermarket stereo). Even then it is only about 10% of your coverage total. So check your policy.

I believe it's called an insurance rider. Supplemental. Just call and add it.
I usually don't now matter how much I have into it. That was even with my cheap car that had more in mods than the price was new. If you sell the truck, you don't make more. It just makes it more desirable if the buyer is looking for those exact mods. You just find someone willing to work with you, even have them eat the deductible. Price out all factory parts since it's newer, factory parts will be the same/more/little less than the aftermarket. Have them cut the check and figure things out. I've always done it that way. Then the shop can even submit a supplemental claim after for more money if necessary.

No riders for USAA. I may be looking elsewhere to cover my truck. Maybe GEICO.

No riders for USAA. I may be looking elsewhere to cover my truck. Maybe GEICO.
Want to talk to my broker?

I think you can just send him your coverages now or your policy. He'll match it and work in whatever else you need then shops prices. He hooked me up. I shopped a bunch of places for home owner's. I hit him up and he got me better coverage less. Even with the same insurer's I shopped. I get no incentive. He's just a good dude.

Back