• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance I did the my dumbest dumb in my 10 years of working on trucks….

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I haven’t been having a lot of good days lately. Just generally been down, right? So I’m having one of those bad days. Not really living in the present. I try to motivate myself to do my overdue 90k oil change. I also tell myself that this will be the time that I don’t get oil on the driveway.

Long story short:

I drained the transmission instead of the engine. Not really living in the present — just going through the motions. Very mad at myself for that. And I—as usual—got plenty of oil on the driveway, lol.

So, that’s my story. The silver lining is that this couldn’t have been better timing to flush the transmission. 90k miles with 40k of them being from full-time travel. I might even do the diffs and other routine things like ball joints and such. The truck could use some love, yeah?

Easy mistake to make on these trucks. Just wait until you get into your sixties, I walk out into my garage several times a day and just stand there wondering why in the world am I out here?:unsure:
pshhhh...I do that now and I'm 38.

@Tyler we've all been there, but like you said there is always a silver lining.

Upvote 0
Can you do my trans service next? Haha!

We all make mistakes. Sometimes wrenching on the truck is a good way to de-stress and feel more positive. I know I like working on my vehicles, even if I'm in a bad mood it cheers me up. Except when it's being a pain in the ass, but then the success of completion tastes that much sweeter.

Upvote 0
Easy mistake to make on these trucks. Just wait until you get into your sixties, I walk out into my garage several times a day and just stand there wondering why in the world am I out here?:unsure:
Make notes and stick them in your pocket. Of course then you have to remember where you put the note:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
When I did the first oil change on the truck I was almost certain the engine oil drain plug was the trans. Must have checked over everything 5x before taking that bolt out. So weird for it to point straight down. Can definitely see how this mistake was made, but it is certainly comical lol.

Upvote 0
Did you go with Royal Purple?
Nah, I got this one.

1673402998609.png

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Back