How is everyone liking it at T3G, and what can I do to make the forum better for you all?

• 🤙Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum!
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Tyler

T3G Level: Legendary
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
I like to check in with you guys occasionally and request some general feedback and suggestions. How is everyone liking their experience at T3G? What could I add or change to make the forum better for you?

Some things already on my list:
  • The entire header of the website is getting completely revamped. I have never liked the one we have. The small T3G logo, the big black background, the small trucks on the right -- it doesn't look good. I am going to design one that looks more like this forum:
    • 1587151550664.png
  • A dark theme is in the works. I know this light one can be hard on the eyes at night.
  • Better, easier to find resources are in the works. Like bumper comparisons, suspension comparisons, etc. We have some of these now but some are outdated and some are hard to find.
  • More prize options for the Rig of the Month contest. I like the Amazon gift cards because it allows you to get what you want. But I think it's fun when the prize is a surprise from a sponsor like this month.
  • I am moving the website to a completely different server provider. I don't know how many of you notice this, but the website goes down multiple times a week for up to 5 minutes. I have made many requests for my server provider to fix this, to no avail. It's unacceptable.

Those are some of the things I have on my mind, but not all. What do you guys think?

One more thing:

Most of our traffic numbers are pretty great. We get 12-17k unique visitors to the website per month. We get 8-18 new user registrations per day (this is really good). And we usually have around 200 of our members log in at least once a day.

But our posts per day are usually on the low side: 50-100 posts per day. It goes fairly higher when I post a lot that day because I end up engaging members to respond back to me. But I want to know, is something discouraging people from posting? Or do people just generally like to read everything and either feel they have nothing they need to add or use the "like" button as their response?

Thank you!

AdamS

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
Adam
T3G Member
#1,704
Generally, I like seeing what other people do to their Tacomas. It gives me ideas then I just go from there. I dont really post a lot myself because I dont feel like I can contribute as much as some people.....hell I've only got one post and that's about the SR5 Pro grille that I made. I love everything you're doing man. Keep it up!

Last edited:

SOS Concepts

T3G Level: Gold
T3G Vendor (Onyx)
First Name
Skip
T3G Member
#5,294
All of that sounds really awesome! As a vendor I've noticed a few things and well it's not unique to this forum either. But sometimes I don't receive notifications of PMs, someone quoting me, or tagging me. Now for a regular member this can be a little annoying for a vendor it can be really bad look when dealing with customers. We are on so many forums and I personally spend a lot of my time on TW sometimes I rely to heavily on the notifications. I can do a better job being more active here to help some of that. Just thought I'd point out an observation.

Keep up the great work! We are enjoying being a part of this community!

Skip

3cent.Taco

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Supporter
First Name
Vincent
T3G Member
#2,889
Or do people just generally like to read everything and either feel they have nothing they need to add or use the "like" button as their response?
For the most part, that's me. Or, I don't really know the answer and can't speak with confidence.

Other than that, I hang out and post on here wayyyy more often than on TW. I only have an account on there to part take in Group Buys, keep up with MESO Customs drops ? , use install walk-throughs, or ask technical questions about something that may have been super vetted out already, has way more thread history, and a quick answer is always bound the happen. I once posted an opinion on there and just got roasted to flames by hive mentality elitists.

Tacomadad18

T3G Level: Onyx
T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
The background idea is great, I definitely like that. The darker vs lighter doesn’t bother me but I’m sure some will enjoy it.

I do notice it goes down and it kinda frustrating so good thing you are changing, being proactive is a great way to grow!

I do find myself “liking” things to stay engaged so that may be the difference now days. There is a ton of info on here so reading and reading is what I started doing.

I think maybe starting a new discussion topic everyday will keep people engaged more, more time spent on the site. That can be done by any of the members too.

Keep on doing your thing man, it’s a great site and I haven’t heard any negatives on it. Everyone may be home or less busy with work, but most are trying to keep their kids busy or doing work around the house. So you would think with a nationwide shut down more people would turn to social media, at least thats what I thought!

mgmyota

T3G Level: Silver
T3G Supporter
First Name
Chris
Military
Army
T3G Member
#5,520
Love this forum. I do lots of research before buying parts and everyone here has been super helpful and I haven’t seen a single person who likes to ruffle the feathers of others so to speak. Like stated above, sometimes I don’t get notifications which can be a little annoying but not a huge issue as I’m not a vendor or a well known person who may get a bunch of questions regularly. This is still a newer forum I would say so there’s plenty of room to grow and it can only get better from here! Keep it up Tyler!

Rev N

RotM Winner
T3G Supporter
T3G Member
#1,323
I check this page probably 10-20 times a day. It's just part of my normal web surf cycle. I usually don't dig into many posts though. If the red number is up on the bell I'll click that and see what's up. I usually don't post unless I have something to say and during the Covid lockdown I have only been driving my truck about once every 2 weeks so it's not top-of-mind. Once summer gets here and I can go outside again I'm sure it will cycle back up.

Larryl.3

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
Larry Lake
T3G Member
#3,770
I enjoy this page alot. Gives me ideas and projects that I can do on my own. Plus I haven't had any bad responses on hear with people telling me to go find it somewhere else, as with other forums. So yeah so far definitely good thing here

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
All of that sounds really awesome! As a vendor I've noticed a few things and well it's not unique to this forum either. But sometimes I don't receive notifications of PMs, someone quoting me, or tagging me. Now for a regular member this can be a little annoying for a vendor it can be really bad look when dealing with customers. We are on so many forums and I personally spend a lot of my time on TW sometimes I rely to heavily on the notifications. I can do a better job being more active here to help some of that. Just thought I'd point out an observation.

Keep up the great work! We are enjoying being a part of this community!

Skip
That should not be the case with alerts. All of those should be giving you an alert on the forum and, if you want to, they can also send you an email. Check all of your alert settings here: https://tacoma3g.com/account/preferences

Let me know if this doesn't fix it.
Love the forum man! I haven’t been on Tacoma world since I found it. It’s kind of hard for me to do things on here from my phone so I’m usually only on here when I have my laptop out. Trying to be more active though
Thank you. What is it about the mobile view that you don't like?
For the most part, that's me. Or, I don't really know the answer and can't speak with confidence.

Other than that, I hang out and post on here wayyyy more often than on TW. I only have an account on there to part take in Group Buys, keep up with MESO Customs drops ? , use install walk-throughs, or ask technical questions about something that may have been super vetted out already, has way more thread history, and a quick answer is always bound the happen. I once posted an opinion on there and just got roasted to flames by hive mentality elitists.
Thanks, I'm glad you dig it here. TW does give you faster answers. It also gives you faster roasts, lol.
The background idea is great, I definitely like that. The darker vs lighter doesn’t bother me but I’m sure some will enjoy it.

I do notice it goes down and it kinda frustrating so good thing you are changing, being proactive is a great way to grow!

I do find myself “liking” things to stay engaged so that may be the difference now days. There is a ton of info on here so reading and reading is what I started doing.

I think maybe starting a new discussion topic everyday will keep people engaged more, more time spent on the site. That can be done by any of the members too.

Keep on doing your thing man, it’s a great site and I haven’t heard any negatives on it. Everyone may be home or less busy with work, but most are trying to keep their kids busy or doing work around the house. So you would think with a nationwide shut down more people would turn to social media, at least thats what I thought!
That all makes sense. Thank you for the feedback.
Love this forum. I do lots of research before buying parts and everyone here has been super helpful and I haven’t seen a single person who likes to ruffle the feathers of others so to speak. Like stated above, sometimes I don’t get notifications which can be a little annoying but not a huge issue as I’m not a vendor or a well known person who may get a bunch of questions regularly. This is still a newer forum I would say so there’s plenty of room to grow and it can only get better from here! Keep it up Tyler!
Awesome, that's good to hear. For the notifications, try going through your notification settings here: https://tacoma3g.com/account/preferences

Let me know if it doesn't help or if your settings already seem correct.
I check this page probably 10-20 times a day. It's just part of my normal web surf cycle. I usually don't dig into many posts though. If the red number is up on the bell I'll click that and see what's up. I usually don't post unless I have something to say and during the Covid lockdown I have only been driving my truck about once every 2 weeks so it's not top-of-mind. Once summer gets here and I can go outside again I'm sure it will cycle back up.
All good, I appreciate you checking back all day. Even that helps as it's traffic to the site.

SOS Concepts

T3G Vendor (Onyx)
First Name
Skip
T3G Member
#5,294
Nope I've got everything turned on and email. I'm too dumb to know even where the hiccup would be for this kind of thing but it happens on every forum we are on and the different servers. Some are worse than others for sure. This one isn't bad by any means just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
Nope I've got everything turned on and email. I'm too dumb to know even where the hiccup would be for this kind of thing but it happens on every forum we are on and the different servers. Some are worse than others for sure. This one isn't bad by any means just thought I'd bring it to your attention.
That's very weird. It shouldn't be happening. I'm going to look into it further though -- thanks for bringing it up.

NukedTaco

T3G Supporter
First Name
Wyatt
Military
Navy
T3G Member
#1,458
The one minor minor issue I have is it seems like pictures take longer to load on here than on other sites. Other than that keep up the good work.

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
The one minor minor issue I have is it seems like pictures take longer to load on here than on other sites. Other than that keep up the good work.
Thanks. I think that will be fixed when I move servers. It is going to be a serious upgrade. I might even get this done tonight.

ArmyNiteRyder

T3G Supporter
First Name
Rob
T3G Member
#5,806
Being a newb here I don’t really have much to say. I have been a part of a few Jeep forums as well as a couple Nissan forums. Seems like this is better then those so far. Definitely like the fact that I haven’t seen much bashing on here for certain things that people mod. Almost like most are actually adults on here. Haha. I’m enjoying the threads. I try and pick a new one and just browse through the new one each night. First time owning a Tacoma so I like to read random things about them to learn. Keep up the good work Sir!

nickyreno

T3G Supporter
First Name
Nick
Military
Army (Vet.)
T3G Member
#5,704
I love this site and visit constantly. Only thing I’ve noticed is the low post count - but at the same time it’s quality versus quantity. TW might get 1,000+ posts per day but it’s all crap.

CustomGM had a chat box feature in the header that I really liked. Seemed like guys would hang out on the site just to chat to each other. It was also good for getting a quick answer to a quick question ?

Tyler

Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
I love this site and visit constantly. Only thing I’ve noticed is the low post count - but at the same time it’s quality versus quantity. TW might get 1,000+ posts per day but it’s all crap.

CustomGM had a chat box feature in the header that I really liked. Seemed like guys would hang out on the site just to chat to each other. It was also good for getting a quick answer to a quick question ?
I thought about the chat box, but as our posts per day are already kind of low, I think the chat box would just make it much worse.

Thank you for the kind words though!

XxMagpulxX

T3G Supporter
First Name
Keith
T3G Member
#5,041
This forum is waaaaaaaaay better than TW. I feel like people can post here without getting flamed and actually get some constructive responses. People here aren't elitist douchebags and are a pleasure to interact with. At least that has been my experience so far. I think that you are doing a great job, and Im sure that any changes that you make will benefit everyone. Keep up the work. I know its alot of work to keep a forum up.

black_taco

First Name
Adam
T3G Member
#1,980
This is a great forum compared to other ones I have been on. It’s an endless collection of knowledge and ideas. The only problem I have run into is viewing pics. A lot of times when I click on a photo half of it is cut off.

Top Bottom