• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

How’s everyone holdin' up? T3G's therapeutic mental health and general chat thread.

Sitting in the VA waiting room for a regular mental health appointment. Thinking about asking about that thing where they zap your brain and you’re suddenly happy. I forget what it actually is but my psychiatrist said a lot of guys find it works well. Sounds scary though.

ECT. Electroconvulsive therapy. A little anesthesia so you're unaware of anything, then an electric shock that induces a brief seizure. Basic idea is a brain reset that results in improved neurotransmitter concentrations and transmission.

Last time I was messing around with psychiatry was in med school over a decade ago, and it worked quite well for most folks.

Lose my job, loss of rights. Get committed because someone else "thinks" they know what's best without actually understanding. Professionals. I dated a Psychiatrist who ran things at one of those hospitals. I've worked in Mental Health Units. I don't know everything, but I do know enough on how some of the things work for me to have my own concerns.
The simple thing is definitely a great solution. It's just seeing which friend is able to meet with.
Don't even know if I'm waiting for anything. If something happened if it would even change things. I do understand that.
Comprehensively thought things through. Hate to inconvenience or cause stress on others. Guess I gotta try and think some more.

But I made progress. Finally straightened up my house a bit. First time in over 6 years. Got rid of a lot of stuff. It feels great. Pocketed almost $1k from junk that sat around.
Gonna try to ride this out. Thanks for listening.
Sorry I missed your reply this long.

I have zero first hand experience with professionals in that arena. I have heard my friends complain and stop going to VA stuff because they felt the same about the docs (they don’t really understand). I don’t either with some of their experiences, I realize that and am ok with it, I wasn’t there.

Sounds like cleaning out the house was a great thing. At times when I didn’t have much direction I always found “preparing” for the next step comforting and encouraging. Even if I didn’t know what it was or where it would lead, at least I’d be better prepared. All we can do is try to be better than we were yesterday.

Slight update. Progressed some. But fell right back into it.
Sleep schedule switched up on me. I'll sleep entire days away even when I have things to do.

Talked to non-va physician on a routine yearly. VA is being trash. She suggested we try out Effexor.
I fear the side-effects. Can't be poo shittin' at work.
Day 1 today.

Just thinking about things all the time. Try to do right and good. But then there's always someone else that's just a dick. I'm just so tired.

me too man :(

The whole try to be positive, just go with it, let things go. I've tried. I just can't.
I can always instantly justify the scenario with actual statistics and life experiences.
It turns into numbers. Percentages. It's not like I think of it negatively. It's just when whatever happens/doesn't happen, BAM. The instance always just validates and makes those actual percentages true.

I try to think about how other people handle things, how some people can find it in faith and things get better. I acknowledge there is some sort of higher power. But realistically it's a chance thing. Someone at their low point decided to give faith a try, then by chance something good happened to create a belief foundation for that person.

Even just trying to be a better person. Something so simple as I'm not going to be a dick today. Be supportive and spread positivity. An old guy posted a clip of himself at the range. He was a tubby dude then did the left and right sweep after. Cool. Then a bunch of randoms just went in on him. Easy to distinguish who's being a dick and who's light heartedly joking. Bunch of "almost vets" and tacticool douches ragged on the dude. He turned out to be a retire cop and is a firearms trainer. Was a department gunsmith. I know not all cops know guns or can shoot. But you can figure out who can shoot. So I said, "dude can probably outshoot all of us". Somehow that was an open invite for shit talk. I'm all for bashing on idiots doing stupid things. But just why? Just put me in some mood. Then I keep circling around to why?

But back to things that occur. Does that make me a negative person to be open about it. But then make it a data point when the unwanted action occurs?

I want to just sleep and not wake up. Thought about how I would end things if I did. Not at the point where I would actively do it myself. But know I'm fully capable which is what scares me. It's like hoping things get better, but know it probably won't. But think there could be a chance.

I feel that last statement some days. I think we all deal with stress a different way than most. I tend to bottle things up, then let go of them over time. My wife usually wants to start a confrontation right away and see a resolution. I'm not wired that way, I need time to understand the situation and adaquate time to respond.

I gotta be honest though, this whole transplant list thing is starting to get to me. So far I've had 3 organ offers, all back ups to the primary recipient. I'm getting discouraged and tired of doing dialysis daily. Even though my treatment is basically nothing compared to some, I just want my time and energy back. I spend about 3-4 hours a day on dialysis related tasks, and it cuts my family/friends time down to basically 2 hours. Doc told me today that I'll be doing an iron infusion in a week or so because my iron levels are dangerously low. I have no energy to do anything, I used to love mowing my yard now we pay some guy to do it. And of course it's no where near my standard of care.

Monday my niece asked me to look at her Rav4 because she had a noise. She doesn't make much and has a new baby, so she had no money for repairs. Ended up needing rear pads and rotors, so my wife and I covered it. I ended up doing the work, and I'll be damned if I wasn't wiped out the next 2 days.

I'm just ready for my life to get back to what it was.

Hey fellers, it's been a while. I had to fly back to Oregon on Tuesday the 27th because my grandma's health was rapidly declining. She unfortunately passed Tuesday morning while I was on my way to Lexington Bluegrass Airport. I've been beating myself up since because I feel like if I paid for the flight I was originally looking at for Monday the 26th, I would've been able to at least say goodbye and tell her how much I love and appreciate her in person. Death sucks and losing my last grandparent on my moms side just brings it closer to home that my last grandparent on my dads side is getting closer to death. I don't want it to happen, I know it will though but I'm not ready.

Long time no talk peeps. Those following my story, I had been listed for a kidney/pancreas transplant. Last Saturday in June I got the call. Wife and I headed up to KU in KC. Surgery went great, Dr said it went textbook. Recovery has been terrible, I’m very sore. Yesterday got released to go “home”, but we are 3 hours from home. So we are staying at a place called The Fisher House, it’s located on the VA faculty campus in KC. Apparently they have quite a few of these. These are free for veterans and their families to stay at during medical procedures. So this is our home for a few months at least.

Long time no talk peeps. Those following my story, I had been listed for a kidney/pancreas transplant. Last Saturday in June I got the call. Wife and I headed up to KU in KC. Surgery went great, Dr said it went textbook. Recovery has been terrible, I’m very sore. Yesterday got released to go “home”, but we are 3 hours from home. So we are staying at a place called The Fisher House, it’s located on the VA faculty campus in KC. Apparently they have quite a few of these. These are free for veterans and their families to stay at during medical procedures. So this is our home for a few months at least.
Glad you got what you need! Speedy recovery

Sometimes I wonder about mental health. Like it always existed, but life was simpler back then so there weren't as many variables. Then just society softening over time. Acknowledging and validating feelings. Things might have just always sucked, we just "feel" them more. Think that's a thing?
We always see people say "just don't be sad" "suck it up".
I just don't want to get out of bed and just lay around. I'm just off in random tangents.
Things that get us down are they really that bad? Could be worse. But I keep thinking could be better.
That things only get better when you realize they don't.

Just keep on pushing through fellas.

Sometimes I wonder about mental health. Like it always existed, but life was simpler back then so there weren't as many variables. Then just society softening over time. Acknowledging and validating feelings. Things might have just always sucked, we just "feel" them more. Think that's a thing?
We always see people say "just don't be sad" "suck it up".
I just don't want to get out of bed and just lay around. I'm just off in random tangents.
Things that get us down are they really that bad? Could be worse. But I keep thinking could be better.
That things only get better when you realize they don't.

Just keep on pushing through fellas.
How about just doing one small thing every day, building a habit. Every two months add another one.

I don't feel like answering phone calls at night. Also don't feel like getting up and operating on some poor dying soul every morning. But years of habit building the feelings just simply don't matter. They are what they are, but it takes practice and discipline to get up and overcome them.

So start small. And keep adding. Eventually it adds up.

How about just doing one small thing every day, building a habit. Every two months add another one.

I don't feel like answering phone calls at night. Also don't feel like getting up and operating on some poor dying soul every morning. But years of habit building the feelings just simply don't matter. They are what they are, but it takes practice and discipline to get up and overcome them.

So start small. And keep adding. Eventually it adds up.

Wish it was that easy. Bit more complicated than that. Adding that one small thing just kicks me back steps. It's not even perspective at this point. Especially when there's no purpose to my life. The only purpose I can think of is to pay back major lender's the mortgage and bills I owe. I live an isolated and insignificant life.

I lost my best friend of 11 years on Wednesday. I’m not even going to try to write out how rough this is for me and Paige.

The day we got Nilla. Her 11th gotcha-day was Tuesday, the day before we had to put her down.

IMG_3976.jpeg

I lost my best friend of 11 years on Wednesday. I’m not even going to try to write out how rough this is for me and Paige.

The day we got Nilla. Her 11th gotcha-day was Tuesday, the day before we had to put her down.

IMG_3976.jpeg
sucks so bad... ive gone through this a number of times and it never gets any easier. I hate it and still miss my special fur friends.

Back