• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Heavy Duty Clutch?!

Macgyver89

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Manual
Quicksand
My 2017 TRD Sport 6 spd manual with towing package has 50,000 miles and I need a heavy duty clutch! I have driven a manual transmission for one million plus miles in my lifetime but this transmission/clutch combination Toyota has in my Tacoma does not work well for me. I have on two occasions smoked the clutch when attempting to backup with my travel trailer connected and one time nothing but the truck itself. I have never experienced what I have with this truck and the reverse gearing. Does anyone have knowledge of a heavy duty clutch for the 3rd gen?

Our reverse gearing is shit. Ultra tall. Ive had success in the bush reversing in 4LO to avoid the burn. But otherwise, you never know when you need to hit 55 in reverse, no?

Upvote 0
I agree! 4LO is the option for now, but many times when backing with travel trailer attached it‘s almost impossible to get the darn thing to cooperate and engage and usually on pavement at that! Why there wasn’t some testing in REAL WORLD with that tall reverse gear?!?! OH YEAH WE ARE THE TESTERS! Good day friend!

Upvote 0
I have seen the Centerforce for the 4cyl version, but nothing for V-6! Thank you for the advice and I will dig into their information again.

Upvote 0
URD has a HD clutch and 40lb flywheel combo you might be interested in

Upvote 0
If you're towing regularly (or even if not), you might consider 4.88 gearing.

Upvote 0
I will look into gearing changes. I have read up on the 2 Wheel Drive Low mod that may just do the trick for what I’ve been experiencing. Really appreciate all the input from everybody.

Upvote 0
I agree! 4LO is the option for now, but many times when backing with travel trailer attached it‘s almost impossible to get the darn thing to cooperate and engage and usually on pavement at that! Why there wasn’t some testing in REAL WORLD with that tall reverse gear?!?! OH YEAH WE ARE THE TESTERS! Good day friend!
You need 2WD low mod sir. I use it for towing and it’s amazing. Took me about 2 tall boys to install. You can get the harness from a dude on TW.

Upvote 0
I have the word of my mechanic that IF you can get it to cooperate and go into 4WD low even on pavement for short distance it won’t break, but I’m super apprehensive each time! AND I am waiting patiently for that 2WD Low mod myself! MUCH needed!!

Upvote 0
I have the word of my mechanic that IF you can get it to cooperate and go into 4WD low even on pavement for short distance it won’t break, but I’m super apprehensive each time! AND I am waiting patiently for that 2WD Low mod myself! MUCH needed!!
Just go on Tacoma world and dude by the name of 7r4ilbr34k3r makes harnesses. Can always google “2WD low mod Tacoma world”. I would not tow without it, it’s a life saver.

Upvote 0
Back