• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Hard shifts

Hockeyguy

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Inferno
Hello everyone
I am new here
Hope everyone is well.
I joined this forum to get help on some concerns I have with my 2017 tacoma trd off road. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the truck hard shifting into first gear when stopping suddenly. It only happens when braking hard. I have had this truck for 4 years and it's always done this. Have taken to several dealers over the years with mixed results. Some saying they can't reproduce the concern and others saying it's a normal driving aspect of the truck. It drives me nuts and was wondering if I can do something about it? Any help would be much appreciated.

Yup. The dealer update fixed most of my hard shifting.
I believe it is TSB 0062-18 or 1258-18.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Had that tsb done. Didn't change that issue. Had my truck recently tuned and that has made it worse. Although the shift points are so much better overall with the tune it still hard shifts on sudden stops. I spoke to the tuner and he said his truck a 2016 tacoma does the same thing.

Upvote 0
If there's others noticing the same hard shift then probly just the way it is. If you need, you can get a hold of Toyota Corporate and file a claim and see what they say. At least have it on file with them in case something with your tranny goes. Then again, your tune may throw everything out with Toyota.

Upvote 0
I've noticed the harder I brake the more aggressive it seems to downshift. I wouldn't call it hard downshifts. The cool thing is when going down a big hill if I start braking it REALLY downshifts to let the engine help. I thought that was pretty cool.

Upvote 0
I have a 2016 and mine does the same thing, but I don't attribute it to hard down shifting. I figured it was a sort of axle wrap that happens when hard braking.

Upvote 0
Back