• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Ham Radio Installation

Happy Trails II

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 SR DCSB Auto
White
I installed a Yaesu FT-7900 dual band mobile ham radio into our Tacoma.
Power is run by dual fused heavy DC power cable directly from battery to the rear cab. I brought the cable into the cab by putting a small slit in the main cable boot in the firewall near the brake pedal an pulled the cable through.
The antenna is a Comet CA-2X4SR mounted on the left side of the headache rack.. The feed line runs down the rack and comes through a hole I drilled in the lower rear part of the cab behind the left rear passenger seat.
I just put the radio on a movable bracket set on the rear seat. This makes it easy to remove from the vehicle.
The detachable radio operating head is mounted on a MACALLY adjustable cup holder mount. Model MCUP. About $15 on 'zon.

ant1.JPG
radio1.JPG
radio2.JPG

This performs very well. It is a duplication of the installing I had in the Dakota which this Tacoma replaced.

HT
N7BKV

Thanks for your tips! I haven't picked up my Tacoma yet, or chosen my radio for that matter, but I'm looking for mounting ideas and the best places to penetrate the cab to route the antenna cable. I hate re-inventing the wheel, so I rely on folks like you willing to post your experiences.

I installed a Yaesu FT-7900 dual band mobile ham radio into our Tacoma.
Power is run by dual fused heavy DC power cable directly from battery to the rear cab. I brought the cable into the cab by putting a small slit in the main cable boot in the firewall near the brake pedal an pulled the cable through.
The antenna is a Comet CA-2X4SR mounted on the left side of the headache rack.. The feed line runs down the rack and comes through a hole I drilled in the lower rear part of the cab behind the left rear passenger seat.
I just put the radio on a movable bracket set on the rear seat. This makes it easy to remove from the vehicle.
The detachable radio operating head is mounted on a MACALLY adjustable cup holder mount. Model MCUP. About $15 on 'zon.

ant1.JPG
radio1.JPG
radio2.JPG

This performs very well. It is a duplication of the installing I had in the Dakota which this Tacoma replaced.

HT
N7BKV
What do you think about the ICOM ID-4100A?
ICOM_id_4100a.jpg

Nice choice, Chaz. Full of great features. Quality brand. I am sure you will enjoy it.
What is your call sign?
And enjoy your new Toyota!

Brian N
N7BKV
Groveland, CA
My callsign (for now) is WH6GOZ, although I haven't used it yet...lol

Back