• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Front end clunking noise

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I have 1200mi on the truck now. And its developed a clunk noise in the front passenger side. It started as a low full clunk when I would take off while making a left turn. Now it's any time the truck rides over a bump or a dip. Especially if turning left over a dip or bump. It seems to be suspension related because it really shows if I push down on the bumper and rock the suspension. Has anyone had problems with sway bar links, control arms, or struts? I just had the truck oil sprayed for winter. Hopefully that didnt amplify the issue.

My Tacoma with 2400 miles has developed the same popping or clunking noise in the right front end when turning to the left. Sometimes it sounds similar to the sound made when putting a wheel on the lugs. It also squeaks if I stand on the passenger side nerf bar. I have an appointment with the Toyota dealer in St. Robert, MO on Friday.
Any word on what they found?

Upvote 0
Of course, the mechanic couldn't hear the noise when he test drove my truck. I drove with him riding shotgun and he eventually heard the klunking I was trying to describe. He is ordering a control arm and body mount bushings, so I will have to take it back. I think he was at a loss, but (thanks to my friends on this forum) I recommended he check the lower control arm bolt and the body mounts. I will let you know how it turns out. It is so nice to know intelligent people.

Upvote 0
My Tacoma with 2400 miles has developed the same popping or clunking noise in the right front end when turning to the left. Sometimes it sounds similar to the sound made when putting a wheel on the lugs. It also squeaks if I stand on the passenger side nerf bar. I have an appointment with the Toyota dealer in St. Robert, MO on Friday.

I have a similar issue with my 2022 Trd sport. Popping/clank sound when taking off and turning left. Took it to the dealership and could not replicate the sound. This only happens after the truck has been parked for a while.

Upvote 0
Exact same thing with mine at 1,800 mines. It a 2022.

Upvote 0
I have another appointment at the Toyota dealership on the 26th. I have found that if pull down on the passenger side grab handle, I can replicate the sound I have been hearing. Also, the wheel center on the front passenger side seems to be loose....not sure if this could be making some noise as well.

Upvote 0
I had this and bought the body mounts. Then my mech cranked the LCA bolts and it went away. I had 4WP do the alignment and they failed me again. First time was when they said the lower ball joints were a little loose on my 3rd gen 4Runner and said they were fine. Then they failed and the whole suspension came apart.

In short, I won't be going back to 4WP for vehicle service.

-M

Upvote 0
Great news.....the service techs at Seeger Toyota in St. Robert, MO figured out and fixed the clunking and popping noise. See the write-up on the ticket below.

Attachments

• IMG_E8391[1].JPG
    IMG_E8391[1].JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 709
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great news.....the service techs at Seeger Toyota in St. Robert, MO figured out and fixed the clunking and popping noise. See the write-up on the ticket below.
There she is! Well it seems as though these trucks are having issues with body/cab mounts.

Upvote 0
I have a 2022 TRD Off Road w/ 5k miles. I have a springy clunking noise that sounds like it’s under tension. Almost like a spring is loose. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger front area. This doesn’t happen all the time. It usually happens when I accelerate and the when I take my foot off the gas pedal abruptly. It also happens some times when the car is moving but seems like nothing should create the noise(like driving straight over a flat surface). I took it to the dealership for the 5k servicing and explained what I was hearing. They couldn’t replicate it. Then I took one of the technicians for a ride, and as luck would have it, I couldn’t replicate the noise more than once. So at this point, nothing was done but I documented it and will try replicating so I can show the dealership.

Upvote 0
I have a 2022 TRD Off Road w/ 5k miles. I have a springy clunking noise that sounds like it’s under tension. Almost like a spring is loose. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger front area. This doesn’t happen all the time. It usually happens when I accelerate and the when I take my foot off the gas pedal abruptly. It also happens some times when the car is moving but seems like nothing should create the noise(like driving straight over a flat surface). I took it to the dealership for the 5k servicing and explained what I was hearing. They couldn’t replicate it. Then I took one of the technicians for a ride, and as luck would have it, I couldn’t replicate the noise more than once. So at this point, nothing was done but I documented it and will try replicating so I can show the dealership.
Best of luck. It's an ongoing problem people are having with these. No solid answer on what it is and Toyota is yet to acknowledge it as an issue. It's annoying but hasn't appeared to be catastrophic. Keep after it with the dealership and hopefully they'll keep throwing parts at it till they find the source.

Upvote 0
With my truck, the passenger side body mount needed repositioning. I could replicate the sound by pulling down on the passenger side grab handle inside the cab.

Upvote 0
I replaces my front body mounts with the poly bushings. They are not the right part and I need to get the OEM ones, but it mostly cleared up the clunk/creek.

-M

Upvote 0
Back