• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Front end clunking noise

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I have 1200mi on the truck now. And its developed a clunk noise in the front passenger side. It started as a low full clunk when I would take off while making a left turn. Now it's any time the truck rides over a bump or a dip. Especially if turning left over a dip or bump. It seems to be suspension related because it really shows if I push down on the bumper and rock the suspension. Has anyone had problems with sway bar links, control arms, or struts? I just had the truck oil sprayed for winter. Hopefully that didnt amplify the issue.

Check your front front body mounts. I had a similar issue on my 16 and replaced them energy suspension poly bushings. Seems like a poor design as far as the oem bushing

How mine looked after about 10k
20180527_132527.jpg

Old vs new
20180527_124533.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll have to give those a look also. Hard to believe with just over 1k miles on the thing I'm having an issue with something. It goes to the dealership on friday to get checked out. Cant wait to hear what story they have lol

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll have to give those a look also. Hard to believe with just over 1k miles on the thing I'm having an issue with something. It goes to the dealership on friday to get checked out. Cant wait to hear what story they have lol
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Upvote 0
Well today I was supposed to take the truck in to be looked at for the front end noise. However, since the temp has dropped the noise went away. I'm sure it will pop up again once the temp rises and things expand. Dealership said to just bring it back when it happens again and they'll put it on the rack

Upvote 0
The 4wheel parts guys are looking at mine on Friday and they were telling me first thing that come to mine is rocks inside the skid plate rolling around. He was telling, he doesn’t believe that mounts would go out that quick not to rule out the possibility but to have such a sound like what I described to him he is going with what he thinks is the better idea. I mean I haven’t even take my truck off-road yet because of it. Not trying to break my truck more of it is messed up.

Upvote 0
Yeah, no rocks here either. I pulled the front end off the truck to install the bumper and havent even been offroad. Once they get yours in the air after a road test im sure they'll have it figured out.

Upvote 0
I’m gonna go with loose CV axel for 100 Alex ?! Lol. No but for real, it may be from the lift install or something else all together I will update when I get the word from them.

Upvote 0
UPDATE !! So toyota go a hold of my truck and found that it was the front right body mount bushing and that the bolt was broke off in the middle. They replaced it for free and problem solved ! No more noise. I think when they build these awesome rigs that they don’t torque them to spec and they get all messed up over a certain amount of time.

Upvote 0
UPDATE !! So toyota go a hold of my truck and found that it was the front right body mount bushing and that the bolt was broke off in the middle. They replaced it for free and problem solved ! No more noise. I think when they build these awesome rigs that they don’t torque them to spec and they get all messed up over a certain amount of time.
Crazy that happened to yours too.

@markiemcg Any updates? Do you have aftermarket UCAs?

Upvote 0
Yah it was pretty bad too. Like the mechanics were all baffled when I brought it in. It’s drives so much better and feels better the only sound I here now is the sway bar popping but that’s normal to here. I can’t wait to hit the trails with the other Tacos and 4runners.

Attachments

• 646FBE00-0421-415B-8516-3759439E3B73.jpeg
    646FBE00-0421-415B-8516-3759439E3B73.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 693
Upvote 0
Glad they fixed it. I almost wonder if when the bushings installed its actually supposed to be pushed in further Instead of trying to sandwich that thin piece of rubber into the body mount hole. I dont see how mine lasted as long as it did the way it was installed. This problem definitely doesnt seem to affect every truck so who knows.

Upvote 0
Glad they fixed it. I almost wonder if when the bushings installed its actually supposed to be pushed in further Instead of trying to sandwich that thin piece of rubber into the body mount hole. I dont see how mine lasted as long as it did the way it was installed. This problem definitely doesnt seem to affect every truck so who knows.
Yah, once I got into and drove away. Night and day difference. I believe sometimes they tighten them to much and it wears out quicker and that their poor quality and design. I’m definitely feeling better about my truck and can’t wait to hit some trails.

Upvote 0
@markiemcg Any updates? Do you have aftermarket UCAs?
Nothing new here on the noise. The nasty clunk and squeak has disappeared since the temps have dropped. I still have the clunk when I take off from a stop or have been parked. I just installed an OME 2in lift but kept the stock UCAs. We'll see come spring when the temps rise if the noise comes back.

Upvote 0
@markiemcg I'm late to the thread but if the clunk is still not fixed, try to torque the cam bolts on the lower control arms to 135 ft lbs. I had a clunk when stopping and going again but that fixed it. Some times the alignment guys get lazy.

Upvote 0
Texas I think, not sure about that question I do know Toyota found the problem and fixed it tho. I’m gonna say that depending on where my truck was made their could be more problems??

Upvote 0
Just curious, My Texas truck has been perfect, no squeaks rattles or anything I can complain about. My experience with Texas made trucks and Mexico made trucks is that the Mexican trucks are $2000 more MSRP than my Texas made truck. Something I was aware of while checking out the different dealership before I bought my truck.

Upvote 0
Yah I think my is a mex Tacoma but other than the body mount bushing no trouble and everything works great. (Knocks on wood.)

Upvote 0
I had the clunking noise too but the dealership that change my oil at 10k didn’t tighten my TRD skid plate to spec.

Upvote 0
@markiemcg I'm late to the thread but if the clunk is still not fixed, try to torque the cam bolts on the lower control arms to 135 ft lbs. I had a clunk when stopping and going again but that fixed it. Some times the alignment guys get lazy.
WoW!! Freaking amazing!! I have been living with a horrible squeaking noise every stop every acceleration and really bad when I am going slow and cranking the wheel. It has been driving me absolutly crazy!!
So a few weeks ago I installed a set of Bilstein 650lb coils to help out with the steel front bar and skids. The 6112's were saging too much with the stock 600lb spring. So.. the whole install went great. Did it without a spring compressor and then had an alignemtn done. The shop said they barley had to adjust anything so that is cool. But then the noise started. I was like did I install the spring wrong? Ummm how could I install a spring wrong? It is installed or it isn't in my mind. Then I checked all the bolts, the UCA, dry lube the spring and still when parked I could bounce the truck and this horrible noise would emerge.
Thanks to your advice I cranked my LCA cam bolts to 135 and sure as shit NO MORE NOISE!! I can not believe I missed that. I was thinking the shop did their job and I messed up but it was the other way around.
BTW.. The cam bolts were just about 20lb tighter then hand tight. NOT GOOD! I will be calling Big Johns 4x4 in SoCal.
Thanks man!
tacopic.jpg

Upvote 0
markiemcg, just out of curiosity do you know if your truck was made in Mexico or Texas.
Sorry for the extremely late reply! Pretty sure mine was made in Mexico. Since I had the lift put on and one major alignment done after an offroad mishap the clunk is no more

Upvote 0
Ya, my Tacoma is a BAJA made, with that being said, sometimes when they come from the factory they develop wear on body the mount bushings or and they tighten them to much or to little. I know when mine started making that noise, the body mount bolt was broke completely, and Toyota wasn’t trying to foot the bill. They tried make to make me pay for it lmao. Moral of the story kids. New or used check those body mount bolts and torque to spec. Mechanics like to use impacts and that messes up a lot on the bushings I have three guys i roll with that had the same problem. Torque them to spec no noise…… :cool:

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
Same to me after 4 months going to the dealer and truck didn’t make the noise they found the front passenger body mounts was bad problem solved that was 2 months ago guess what today started doing it again what is Wrong with TOYOTA?

Upvote 0
My Tacoma with 2400 miles has developed the same popping or clunking noise in the right front end when turning to the left. Sometimes it sounds similar to the sound made when putting a wheel on the lugs. It also squeaks if I stand on the passenger side nerf bar. I have an appointment with the Toyota dealer in St. Robert, MO on Friday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back