• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

FRONT DIFF ACTUATOR

Taco16

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Has anyone had to replace or repair the front diff actuator? Mine has the flashing green 4x4 light and wont engage 4 wheel drive. Dealer has told me its the front diff actuator not working. They want over $2000 to repair it. They say the front diff has to be completely removed, i did see a 2nd gen video of it being removed without removing the diff anyone know if its the same. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !

Has anyone had to replace or repair the front diff actuator? Mine has the flashing green 4x4 light and wont engage 4 wheel drive. Dealer has told me its the front diff actuator not working. They want over $2000 to repair it. They say the front diff has to be completely removed, i did see a 2nd gen video of it being removed without removing the diff anyone know if its the same. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Diff shouldn't be removed only drained . How did they conclude you front actuator is out , how much do you use it ,do you do alot of water crossings ? Warranty not covering?

Upvote 0
They said the breather hose to the actuator was not connected due to my lift it pulled it off! :oops: I checked that hose prior to dropping off at dealer it was on connected but missing the little end breather. I did do 1 water crossing in within about 2 hours after i had this issue start. They are denying warranty because of all the mods lift and they said i altered the electrical in the truck. Not true did not touch a single while. All lights connected on its own switch wiring!
crossing.jpg

Upvote 0
You acuator should work with a good clean out, if it got water down in it and I would extend your breather

Upvote 0
I have been through two front diff actuators now. My local service center has blamed water damage, how water is getting in is a mystery to me, I don’t do any serious water crossings, yet water can somehow get in, and corrode the actuator, twice now. I’ll be taking a look at the “breather tube” tomorrow and start considering my options to extend or replace the stock setup. Anyone else having this issue?!?! There can’t be only a select few facing these problems. I’ve been through two of them in less than a year!

Upvote 0
I have been through two front diff actuators now. My local service center has blamed water damage, how water is getting in is a mystery to me, I don’t do any serious water crossings, yet water can somehow get in, and corrode the actuator, twice now. I’ll be taking a look at the “breather tube” tomorrow and start considering my options to extend or replace the stock setup. Anyone else having this issue?!?! There can’t be only a select few facing these problems. I’ve been through two of them in less than a year!
I'd take it to another dealer get it done and see if it happens again perhaps they are doing somthing incorrect during the install ,extended any breather higher and make them more secure is also a great thing to do

Upvote 0
So i did get a new OEM actuator. Apparently The breather hose on the actuator came unplugged some how and i did suck in some water into actuator! Here is what a little water can do! It had been only a month ago when this happened!
actu1.jpg

actu2.jpg
New unit works great no more issue's!

Upvote 0
So i did get a new OEM actuator. Apparently The breather hose on the actuator came unplugged some how and i did suck in some water into actuator! Here is what a little water can do! It had been only a month ago when this happened!
actu1.jpg

actu2.jpg
Seems like might be time for some breather mods now, never even they they had a breather on the acuator

Upvote 0
Seems like might be time for some breather mods now, never even they they had a breather on the acuator
I do have all the breather mods done . Apparently the hose has a connection somewhere near the front diff going into engine bay,at that connection is where it pulled off going to actuator into engine bay.

Upvote 0
My lights is flashing. Parts has to be ordered via dealership. 50/50 under warranty. Check out attachment pretty dumb what they said. I’m responsible if it’s damaged wth

Attachments

• DEF8E1AE-06F2-45D6-8206-831B0439FE90.jpeg
    DEF8E1AE-06F2-45D6-8206-831B0439FE90.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0
actu1.jpg

actu2.jpg
So you did install it yourself, then? Is it easier than expected?

Upvote 0
I ended up having a shop do it. I didnt have time they had it done in about 3 hrs according to the manager. Only cost me $280 but it saved me from time off at work and i had a trip that same weekend. It was worth it.

Upvote 0
Back