• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Frame stiffening

Biohazard

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 Pro DCSB Auto
White
Feeling tension, can you guys help me resolve it?

1) I see the bed flopping around a good bit in relation to the body, so I assume that a slightly flexible frame is part of the design to keep weight at a minimum.

2) I dislike the reverberations from the frame’s counter flexing during higher speed off road driving (and when hitting potholes and such)

Should I start investing in some frame stiffeners, bed stiffeners, etc., or just continue with the weight savings and “spend” the weight on skids, bumpers, racks?

you can always check to see if the bed is bolted down properly by checking the bolts. that said I think bed stiffeners are deff a good place to start for the rear of the truck.

1) I see the bed flopping around a good bit in relation to the body, so I assume that a slightly flexible frame is part of the design to keep weight at a minimum.

2) I dislike the reverberations from the frame’s counter flexing during higher speed off road driving (and when hitting potholes and such)

Should I start investing in some frame stiffeners, bed stiffeners, etc., or just continue with the weight savings and “spend” the weight on skids, bumpers, racks?
Having hacked up every section of frame, to plate, weld, add tube, remove bulky material, etc, I will tell you these frames are shit. Fortunately, the center, driveline section is double wall and holds up pretty well. But from the carrier bearing xmember back, its shit. Super thin and flimsy. Im surprised it takes the beating that is has to this point. But I also found some twist, and bends in the frame from brackets being twisted and applying those loads to the frame, pushing in the thin material. Was able to get them mostly flat and weld in some fill panels.

I installed a DMZ fab frame box kit, helped stiffen up the rear of the truck tremendously and helps when I push the truck hard on the dunes. The sheet metal of the cab back is just pathetic on these frames.

Had spindle gussets installed yesterday, my cab mount repaired, and installed the mid and rear skid plates. FabZone Armor out here in San Diego, CA absolutely KILLED it. I'm so impressed with these guys metal fab skills, and their work ethic. I definitely recommend them.

As the paint on the gusset is drying...
IMG_20200531_170728.jpg

What a spindle looks like before the gusset reinforcement is welded on....
IMG_20200531_103503.jpg

Gusset during mock up onto the spindle...
IMG_20200531_103655.jpg

IMG_20200531_104322.jpg

The final product installed...
IMG_20200531_172548.jpg

How the cab mount turned out...
IMG_20200531_182058.jpg

What the Cab Mount looked like before... (To be fair, this was my own doing. I had a CMC done and while it was very good, my upgrade to 35's required more and I was headed on a 2 week trip the next day. So drastic measures were taken. I knew someone some day would be able to repair it. So I did what I had to do and got on the road. It was a great trip to🤣.)
IMG_20200531_101318.jpg

IMG_20200531_182059.jpg
IMG_20200531_175108.jpg

And the skid plates fully installed...
IMG_20200531_182847.jpg

IMG_20200531_183006.jpg

Those skids look beefy!!!! Im a big fan of gusseting since I dont really trust the frame design with how hard we push our trucks sometimes...have you checked out the marlin crawler LCA frame gussets? I just got them and they are like a tank!!! way better than any other cam tab gusset. Also you will love double shearing your upper control arms to keep the shock tower from flexing as much and giving a lot more strength to the UCA too.

Where did you get those splash guards from around your suspension? I keep ripping mine off and those look way nicer

Those skids look beefy!!!! Im a big fan of gusseting since I dont really trust the frame design with how hard we push our trucks sometimes...have you checked out the marlin crawler LCA frame gussets? I just got them and they are like a tank!!! way better than any other cam tab gusset. Also you will love double shearing your upper control arms to keep the shock tower from flexing as much and giving a lot more strength to the UCA too.

Where did you get those splash guards from around your suspension? I keep ripping mine off and those look way nicer

Just noticed I posted in the frame stiffening thread, and not the what have you done to your Tacoma today thread. Oops hahaha

double sheer kit and the Marlin crawler kit or in the near future, we just didn't want to do it this this time around. Pretty much took the whole day doing what we already did so we didn't want to go any further. however those are both on the list. That Marlin crawler kid looks beefy and it's definitely happening on my truck.

I can't remember the name of the splash guards right off the top of my head but I'll look it up here give me a second.

A lot of the reverberations you mention in point 2 are due to the terrible stock hangers, which are very springy, causing the frame/bed to bounce and jitter. The most straightforward fix to reduce this is installing Archive Garage Hammer hangers plus the cross tube option. The Hh make the ride more carlike, giving the chassis composure and giving you confidence and control.
Please read the customer reviews to see what customers say.

Gusseting and bracing the frame will not eradicate the problem if you retain the flimsy stock hangers.

Back