• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Foreign Salvage Rebuild

uk_tacoma

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2017 Pro DCSB Manual
Cement
Hey everyone, my name's James and I'm the newest member on here although I have been lurking on Instagram for a while.
I just bought a 2017 TRD Pro with a salvage title from a dealer in Miami.
I'd be lying if the last week or so hasn't been stressful. Already a lot of emails back and forth, trying to ascertain all the nitty gritty about the truck, the haggling the price down etc. From what I gather, the truck is too beat up to be re-registered in the states, but fortunately I'm not in the states. In theory, all I have to do is make the repairs and get it past initial tests and registration here.... My vehicle authority website doesn't mention anything about vehicle past. Just current roadworthyness.

Here's a list of what needs fixing. Tell me I'm not crazy?

New drivers curtain airbag
New drivers knee airbag -Probably back to the dealer for these, but neither are a legal requirement so might just be easier to remove altogether. Steering wheel is intact.
New front left fender
New/repair left bedside
New windscreen
New front bumper (Thats ok, I was gonna put a winch bumper on it anyway...)
New fuel cap and flap
Source some headrests for front seats. These have been stolen.
Possibly a new grille.
Possibly drivers window if its not just wound down
New left side tail light (Again, this is fine. I need to change them to amber turn signal units anyway..)

And then there's some dents to deal with at my discretion. Probably won't to be honest. I'm not that fussy. It's whats underneath that counts.

01.jpg

Welcome to Tacoma3g.

You have a project on your hands but if you can do most of the work and it’s worth it to you, I say no. You’re not crazy ?

Well I'm hoping the worst of it is the airbags. If I can get them sorted, the rest is just panels and glass. Fingers crossed.

Got the windshield replaced in the states. $270, which i thought was ok considering that was parts and labour. I've seen just the glass for sale for over 600. First tricky part sorted. I was gonna do the drivers window too, but couldn't get a straight answer from the dealer whether it was broken or just open. Anyway time is up. It's on it's way to the docks. :D

Attachments

• IMG-20191021-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20191021-WA0001.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 133
Ok so I need a favour (possibly the first of many... lol) My truck is missing the front headrests. The only pair on ebay is an EXTORTIONATE price, so I'm seeking out alternatives.
I've found Lexus headrests for like $25 a piece. They don't have the red stitching, but they are black leather and beggars can't be choosers right?

Does anyone have time to whip out a front headrest, measure the distance centre to centre of the legs that go into the chair, and the diameter of said legs.
Would really appreciate it as this is info I'll never find on the interweb.

Thanks!

Attachments

• lexus seats.jpg
    lexus seats.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 130
I'm still hanging in there!
Ship was massively delayed in the states so is currently 3 weeks behind schedule. It's just off Portugal at the moment so probably wont see it till next year now. Booooooo

In other news, the gear knob and tail lights have arrived in the post. All good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191216-141656_Ship Info.jpg
    Screenshot_20191216-141656_Ship Info.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 115
Crazy!! You're shipping it to the UK?!? That's awesome! How difficult is it too get registered there once imported?

Crazy!! You're shipping it to the UK?!? That's awesome! How difficult is it too get registered there once imported?

Not sure, never done it before! But according to the government website, it has to be road worthy by our rules -so rear fog light, side repeaters and nothing hanging off obviously.
The whole process costs £150 and a day in the test centre.

I'm hoping they dont dig too deep into the vehicle history but then, if a biker can make a trike out of half a Volkswagen and half a bike why wouldn't a repaired truck pass?

Well hopefully it's a simple process. Can't wait to see it on the road in the UK!! ?

Welcome to the forum. This might be the most interesting build we have due to the salvage title and UK shipping, lol. I'm sure the price had a lot to do with it, but how did you get yourself to be confident enough to go all in on a salvaged truck like this?

Thanks!
This isn't the first 'crazy' thing I've done. 5 years ago I bought a house in Bulgaria just €7500.
It's essentially an empty shell and has sat there ever since, but now thanks to Brexit I might actually end up on a winner because I'll be classed as a Bulgarian citizen and not need a Visa....

FB_IMG_1576863196977.jpg

Anyway back to the truck. Like I said at the start I've always wanted one and it just came to the point where I had to take that leap of faith. Yes I do have nightmares about it turning up with a twisted frame. I really hope it doesn't. If it does, well If a new frame is too expensive I guess I can always sell it on to Africa or somewhere without regulations.
The shipping has been really easy. Agent at the USA side organised pretty much everything- including another agent UK side to get it through customs and out of the docks.

Thanks!
This isn't the first 'crazy' thing I've done. 5 years ago I bought a house in Bulgaria just €7500.
It's essentially an empty shell and has sat there ever since, but now thanks to Brexit I might actually end up on a winner because I'll be classed as a Bulgarian citizen and not need a Visa....

FB_IMG_1576863196977.jpg

Anyway back to the truck. Like I said at the start I've always wanted one and it just came to the point where I had to take that leap of faith. Yes I do have nightmares about it turning up with a twisted frame. I really hope it doesn't. If it does, well If a new frame is too expensive I guess I can always sell it on to Africa or somewhere without regulations.
The shipping has been really easy. Agent at the USA side organised pretty much everything- including another agent UK side to get it through customs and out of the docks.
The house and the truck are pretty cool. I like your style.

Ok so update. The truck landed, has been processed through customs and is now at a shipping agents yard in the uk. It's cheaper to store it there than the docks.
But I've suffered a bit of a set back. Somewhere along the line MORE bits have been stolen. The most random being ONE wheel. Yep. Just the one. Wtf.
I should be covered by the insurance for this but the sum of the parts is well over $700 and it's a load of paperwork I didn't want to have to do.
Theres also a dent in the roof. I tried REALLY hard to avoid this kind of damage because it's hard to fix. The dealer never mentioned it so I don't know where it happened. This is now my main concern because you can't replace a roof.
I'll try and post a pic. Would be nice to hear your thoughts on the roof, -whether it could be pushed/pulled back. (Its in the middle, looks like someone stood on it)

IMG_20191231_142931_resized_20191231_023815758.jpg

Ok so update. The truck landed, has been processed through customs and is now at a shipping agents yard in the uk. It's cheaper to store it there than the docks.
But I've suffered a bit of a set back. Somewhere along the line MORE bits have been stolen. The most random being ONE wheel. Yep. Just the one. Wtf.
I should be covered by the insurance for this but the sum of the parts is well over $700 and it's a load of paperwork I didn't want to have to do.
Theres also a dent in the roof. I tried REALLY hard to avoid this kind of damage because it's hard to fix. The dealer never mentioned it so I don't know where it happened. This is now my main concern because you can't replace a roof.
I'll try and post a pic. Would be nice to hear your thoughts on the roof, -whether it could be pushed/pulled back. (Its in the middle, looks like someone stood on it)

IMG_20191231_142931_resized_20191231_023815758.jpg
That is an unfortunate series of events. The wheel is really weird.

I do think the roof can be pulled out. That dent is in a bad spot that makes it seem like it would be impossible to fix at first glance. But body shops nowadays can handle almost anything. I have seen similarly obscure dents in difficult locations (due to shapes in the metal) fixed to the point where you couldn't tell it was ever there. I don't know about in the UK, but in the US that looks like it could be a $500-$1000 repair.

Wow, best of luck with the project, looking forward to following it's progress.

The roof can likely be fixed. An experienced metal worker with hammer and dolly should be able to get it looking good. Unfortunately it's just another thing that'll take time and money. Depending on how well it comes out you could always get a roof rack and it'll cover most of it anyhow.

Roof rack was the plan anyway. The roof doesn't need to be perfect, I'd just like some of the dips pushed out so water doesn't pool.

Roof rack was the plan anyway. The roof doesn't need to be perfect, I'd just like some of the dips pushed out so water doesn't pool.
They will definitely be able to get it to at least that point.

Good news! Insurance company came through!
A small sigh of relief that these parts won't cost me.
#feckingarseholecriminals

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200109-222155_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200109-222155_Gmail.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 122
The plot thickens. Insurance company have turned around and said they're now only paying a third of their original quote, due to the fact the shipper wasnt responsible for the thefts.
This has all come about from the photos I sent, and obviously some photos they took on the ship (smart people), they've compared and they are the same apart from the door badges. So this now points the finger at the dealer which to be fair was shady from the start.
Nonetheless, the insurance company is paying out for a theft which occurred outside of a timeframe they agreed to cover me, so I really cant complain about them. It's not their problem but they're still paying.

As for the dealer..... we got something in the pipeline for him too. It'll be in the form of a court summons for mis-selling or just plain theft, we're just waiting to hear back which is the best one to pursue. We know their arguement will be the contract says "sold as is"
But it isn't as it was, is it? :ROFLMAO:
#lovethemphotos

On a happier note though, I get to pick it up in 3 days and CANNOT wait! They say January has like over 700 days and I'm totally feeling that!

The plot thickens. Insurance company have turned around and said they're now only paying a third of their original quote, due to the fact the shipper wasnt responsible for the thefts.
This has all come about from the photos I sent, and obviously some photos they took on the ship (smart people), they've compared and they are the same apart from the door badges. So this now points the finger at the dealer which to be fair was shady from the start.
Nonetheless, the insurance company is paying out for a theft which occurred outside of a timeframe they agreed to cover me, so I really cant complain about them. It's not their problem but they're still paying.

As for the dealer..... we got something in the pipeline for him too. It'll be in the form of a court summons for mis-selling or just plain theft, we're just waiting to hear back which is the best one to pursue. We know their arguement will be the contract says "sold as is"
But it isn't as it was, is it? :ROFLMAO:
#lovethemphotos

On a happier note though, I get to pick it up in 3 days and CANNOT wait! They say January has like over 700 days and I'm totally feeling that!
Wow.

I almost like that this project doesn’t stop being a headache just because it makes for that much of a juicier biography once it’s finally complete. (Not saying I want you to go through more trouble for my amusement. I just think it adds character.)

I don’t know anything about legal, but good luck with the dealer. You’re very right about it not being what it was sold as, so that has to count for something.

IMG_20200122_100155_354.jpg

So the truck is stashed away and looks a bit like grumpy cat. Had a more in-depth look now that I have it in front of me.
Some headscratch moments, like why is there engine oil in the cup holder? Why are the bulbs missing out of the left headlight? Who knows!
Parts are starting to trickle in. I've started with a few of the smaller bits to fill in some of the holes -so a switch panel for the dash from Cali Raised, fuel cap from China and front fogs from ebay. Decided to come down a notch with the fogs because I couldn't justify $500+ for the proper Rigid Industry fogs if they get nicked so easily, so just the normal glass lenses with some fancy H11 led bulbs. Total cost for lamps, bezels and bulbs $60!
Toyota UK can hook me up with a drivers window which is fantastic because it means they pay the shipping and duty and I dont have to worry about it smashing in transit. Still takes a month to get here though
I'm on the lookout for a single black wheel if you see one going.
Inside of the engine bay is gonna need a little pull, and it looks like the skid plate and tow hook took a blow and are bent beyond use. I'm guessing these are too tough to bend back?
Definitely not a lost cause though. Have had great fun driving round the yard.
20200125_112252.jpg

View attachment 18311

Last edited:
IMG_20200122_100155_354.jpg

So the truck is stashed away and looks a bit like grumpy cat. Had a more in-depth look now that I have it in front of me.
Some headscratch moments, like why is there engine oil in the cup holder? Why are the bulbs missing out of the left headlight? Who knows!
Parts are starting to trickle in. I've started with a few of the smaller bits to fill in some of the holes -so a switch panel for the dash from Cali Raised, fuel cap from China and front fogs from ebay. Decided to come down a notch with the fogs because I couldn't justify $500+ for the proper Rigid Industry fogs if they get nicked so easily, so just the normal glass lenses with some fancy H11 led bulbs. Total cost for lamps, bezels and bulbs $60!
Toyota UK can hook me up with a drivers window which is fantastic because it means they pay the shipping and duty and I dont have to worry about it smashing in transit. Still takes a month to get here though
I'm on the lookout for a single black wheel if you see one going.
Inside of the engine bay is gonna need a little pull, and it looks like the skid plate and tow hook took a blow and are bent beyond use. I'm guessing these are too tough to bend back?
Definitely not a lost cause though. Have had great fun driving round the yard.
20200125_112252.jpg

View attachment 18311
Engine oil in the cup holder?! Wtf went on with this truck, lol.

Back