• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

First Time Tacoma Owner - Build Plan

jonnnny.p

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hi All,

My name is Jonny. I found this place by browsing through IG pictures and dreaming of my build. I've never owned a Tacoma and wow, there is just so much greatness that can be done!

I purchased my 2017 Tacoma TRD OR 2 weeks ago as a Toyota certified used truck. It is pretty much stock but does have a tri-fold bed cover and some new Yokohama A/T tires on it. 27k miles on it and I'm hoping to drive it for several years and hopefully be able to pass it on to my son someday. It is my daily driver so I don't want to get too crazy on it, but at the same time want it to perform well off road and look good. I'm a rock climber and mountain biker so I love the fact that I'll be able to load it up and not be limited by my vehicle as far as access goes. I won't be doing any intense rock crawling. We do have a trip planned to MOAB later this year (mostly to MTB) and I'd like to get on some of the easier stuff (knowing this build may not even get started before the trip). I want to be cost effective, but not cheap. Based on just a few weeks of research here is what my plan is so far. Honestly I may have no idea what I'm doing here! I'm open to suggestions/recommendations. Thanks!

I'm thinking this might be a good start for a 1-2 year plan. Anyone have a build similar to this on a Magnetic Gray Tacoma!? Let's see it!

And here is the truck now as stock as it will ever look!

3AADF732-1557-49F7-BD09-1032F2084636_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 10.22.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 10.22.37 AM.png
    276.3 KB · Views: 81
Falken Wildpeak (Cheaper option - Anyone have good experience with these?)

I run Wildpeak AT3Ws. They've been a great tire on and off road. I'm only 3k into them but I've been very happy with my purchase.

Congrats!! This is my first Tacoma and truck even. So far I've loved it.

I'm a rookie as well but from what you have listed looks like a great build.

I've never seen that bike rack you have listed in person. But I really prefer the tailgate pad to the hitch mounts I've had in the past.
One disadvantage with that rack is you're going to lose your backup camera when you are carrying bikes. Also I don't know if I'd be comfortable having the lift gate down all the time.

If you're committed to the decked system I don't know if you'll be able to use any kind of tailgate mounting for the bikes. Just guessing though

Lastly @Victory4x4 has some nice molle panels you can install on the center console and in the bed. Helps add some extra storage solutions

Keep the group updated. I love to see the way other bikers are modding their trucks.

Congrats!! This is my first Tacoma and truck even. So far I've loved it.

I'm a rookie as well but from what you have listed looks like a great build.

I've never seen that bike rack you have listed in person. But I really prefer the tailgate pad to the hitch mounts I've had in the past.
One disadvantage with that rack is you're going to lose your backup camera when you are carrying bikes. Also I don't know if I'd be comfortable having the lift gate down all the time.

If you're committed to the decked system I don't know if you'll be able to use any kind of tailgate mounting for the bikes. Just guessing though

Lastly @Victory4x4 has some nice molle panels you can install on the center console and in the bed. Helps add some extra storage solutions

Keep the group updated. I love to see the way other bikers are modding their trucks.

Good points about the rack. I didn't think about losing the backup camera. Have you seen these? https://tacomabeast.com/collections...strap-inspect-uploading?variant=7967614173214
They seem pretty simple and wouldn't block the camera.

Those molle panels are sweet! Definitely adding at least the center console ones to the list. Thanks!

Wow, that’s an organized and well written first post! Welcome to T3G, I’m glad you found us.

Your planned mods are looking pretty good. I have never really heard of that website that has your lift, but it doesn’t seem like a bad kit. Bilsteins are the most common starting shock. My only suggestion is, if you plan to have a lot of gear or other weight in or over your bed, you might want a leaf spring replacement instead of an add-a-leaf.

Wow, that’s an organized and well written first post! Welcome to T3G, I’m glad you found us.

Your planned mods are looking pretty good. I have never really heard of that website that has your lift, but it doesn’t seem like a bad kit. Bilsteins are the most common starting shock. My only suggestion is, if you plan to have a lot of gear or other weight in or over your bed, you might want a leaf spring replacement instead of an add-a-leaf.
Agreed. The weight is going to eat up those stock leaf packs with an AAL. Also, you are in arkansas it looks like so may not be as big of a deal, but you are talking about adding a lot of weight, and larger tires, a regear is something to keep in mind. With the larger tires and weight you are definitely going to take a hit in power and fuel economy. Just something else to consider. One thing for the truck to look pretty, another for it work right and for a long time.

Good points about the rack. I didn't think about losing the backup camera. Have you seen these? https://tacomabeast.com/collections...strap-inspect-uploading?variant=7967614173214
They seem pretty simple and wouldn't block the camera.

Those molle panels are sweet! Definitely adding at least the center console ones to the list. Thanks!
The bomber strap is a neat idea for sure. I've thought about it. But at least on my bike the tire is usually resting against the truck so I think I would end of wrecking my paint.

Also being limited to one bike for just about the same price as being able to carry 5 bikes is a tough sell. 99% of my riding is solo but its nice to be able to carry additional bikes. At least on my fox pad I can just fold the handle cover up under itself and I'm good to go.

welcome... looks like a good start

Thanks! I think I'm going to bail on the Decked system idea as it might be overkill for what I'm needing and just unnecessary weight. I don't think I'll ever do a rooftop tent. So maybe I can get by for a while with the AAL. But, I will definitely keep the leaf replacement option in mind if things change. Appreciate the info!

Agreed. The weight is going to eat up those stock leaf packs with an AAL. Also, you are in arkansas it looks like so may not be as big of a deal, but you are talking about adding a lot of weight, and larger tires, a regear is something to keep in mind. With the larger tires and weight you are definitely going to take a hit in power and fuel economy. Just something else to consider. One thing for the truck to look pretty, another for it work right and for a long time.

Yes, regearing is on my radar eventually as well. Especially if I start adding more weight than I plan. It does fine in these hills of Arkansas now but I do take trips out west and I could see where regearing may be necessary. Thank you!

If you're committed to the decked system I don't know if you'll be able to use any kind of tailgate mounting for the bikes
We haven't used the Latchit Rack with our system yet but that looks like it might work better than a standard tailgate cover. The bikes may angle too far down with the back tires propped up on the system but if there was a way to raise that up slightly then it could be perfect. If not then a simple tailgate rack is your best bet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Toyota-...AOSwHwReC8zQ:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!72712!US!-1

I am contemplating this wheel and tire set. Seller says they’d take my stock wheels and tires on a trade in. Not sure what he’ll give me yet. It would give me one size bigger and some more aggressive tires. Maybe I’ll be able to hold off on the lift for a little bit so my wife doesn’t kill me. What do you guys think? The seller is out of Houston, Texas Truck Tire LLC. They seem pretty reputable.

You're not getting the best prices for what you're after.
Shop harder and you'll find that wheelset @ $1100 and the falken tyres retail at 100 a piece....

Also those headlights can be found for $200 less

More money saved = more toys.
And you can still sell your factory wheels.
Happy hunting. ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200214-153905_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200214-153905_eBay.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Are you experiencing any rubbing? I just got my Icon kit and I want to run the same tires on Method 315s.

Are you experiencing any rubbing? I just got my Icon kit and I want to run the same tires on Method 315s.
I do have a minor rub in the front when I’m turning and hit a good sized bump. It hasn’t happened enough to really address it yet but not sure what I’ll need to do to fix it.

Hello, finally another Arkansan on here. 🙋‍♂️ Welcome aboard.

I recommend these sliders. They've saved my dumbass from flipping on the mountains of Missouri 2 weeks ago 🤣 and they get beat up practically every weekend.

Also Coastal Offroad for your bumpers and skids.

IMG_20210101_163819_714.jpgIMG_20210101_163614_149.jpgIMG_20210101_164247_155.jpg
Welllll I’m actually in Southern Missouri now but close enough!

Sweet! Why are those sliders so cheap?

Welllll I’m actually in Southern Missouri now but close enough!

Sweet! Why are those sliders so cheap?
I was just in Missouri the other week for the MOORE

They're a weld-on kit. You'll have to weld them on and coat them. I coated mine with raptor liner

Some updates this year:

• OV Tune
  • Debadge/Rebadge
  • Softopper
  • Datin Fab Rack
  • iKamper Skycamp 2.0 (not pictured yet - will install next week for camping trip)
  • RRW Sliders on order
It is starting to look like a rig!

IMG_2037.jpeg
IMG_2039.jpeg

ANOTHER SPRINGFIELDIAN!! I'm down the road in Ozark!

Some updates this year:

• OV Tune
  • Debadge/Rebadge
  • Softopper
  • Datin Fab Rack
  • iKamper Skycamp 2.0 (not pictured yet - will install next week for camping trip)
  • RRW Sliders on order
It is starting to look like a rig!

IMG_2037.jpeg
IMG_2039.jpeg

Check out @TermLimits Valley Runner. You get VFTuner and just flash his tune.

Back