• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Finally Add mud flaps

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
2019 Tacoma TRD LB , recently lifted. In for for service (Toyota Dealer), ask if they do a safety check (requirement in Hawaii). They told me I needed to put on mud flaps, once you lift your Tacoma. I purchase brand new, came with NO mud flaps.

Now my son is lifted the same height 2016, a independent safety’s station, said the same thing, till he re-check the laws, for his year, NO mud flaps was required, so he passed.

I decided to purchase them and maybe later remove them after the safety check? I had maps flap before on other vehicles , they get rip off while off roading, mainly when backing out a hole or ditch..

Amazon prime, I purchase Tufskins brand, Wow I like the stiffness, more of a hard plastic, does flex. Super easy install, perfect fit.
Remove screws , re-use the same screws ( Tufskins came with two longer screws) pop out the plastic plug, discarded, instead I use two stainless bolts 2.5 inches long. Ta-da. Less then ten minutes for each side.
I like the length and height . Sure my tires are a bit out..12 off sets.
Next step, safety check.
Aloha

Attachments

• 56C1EDAF-7834-45BC-AB69-24A795FC75B9.jpeg
    56C1EDAF-7834-45BC-AB69-24A795FC75B9.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 99
  • C281BBFE-07DD-4296-BA19-503FA8A4E28D.jpeg
    C281BBFE-07DD-4296-BA19-503FA8A4E28D.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 45F528E4-6DE6-48A5-9D90-CEEEFE3EC91E.jpeg
    45F528E4-6DE6-48A5-9D90-CEEEFE3EC91E.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited by a moderator:
Tuff skins mud flaps , great products and materials.
But I wish they send factory size screws, too large & too long, stripping the factory holes. 2nd plastic plug , I am guessing set in a screw ( but factory screws too large.) and long .

I struggle for front mud flaps, ended up removing, can’t tighten the screws. And stripped factory holes.
Disappointing!

I any brand you buy? I suggest getting longer factory size screws . For th plastic plug , I think you will need use a screw? Factory size and longer might be better?
Aloha

Tuff skins mud flaps , great products and materials.
But I wish they send factory size screws, too large & too long, stripping the factory holes. 2nd plastic plug , I am guessing set in a screw ( but factory screws too large.) and long .

I struggle for front mud flaps, ended up removing, can’t tighten the screws. And stripped factory holes.
Disappointing!

I any brand you buy? I suggest getting longer factory size screws . For th plastic plug , I think you will need use a screw? Factory size and longer might be better?
Aloha
I had the RokBlokz. They were nice but I needed more room so had to remove them.
If you stripped the factory holes you can replace the hard ware. Longer screws aren't going to help.
You want the Bumper Cover Retain Clips and Grommets. They are pretty cheap at the dealership or you can buy bulk packs on Amazon for cheap. If they get stripped out that means you overtorqued it. But it's an easy fix. They are supposed to be a little larger for retention and to lock in place. Once it's flush, the larger screw will be snug and lock in there. Going further will deform the mounts. Just look under there between the liner, fender, panel and you'll easily tell which ones they are. Should only be a couple bucks each.

They also had steel mounting brackets. I shaved the hole a little and bend them a little to get a little more space.

90467-05138
1652997137332.png

90189-06236
1652997188962.png

Last edited:
The plastic plug will not fit due to the thickness of tuff skins mud flaps, plus the cut out was not meant for the plastic plugs.. slots only.
tuff skins screws were extra long. And thicker. Front fender the Tuff skins screw too long, got stop by inner fender.
No steel mounting brackets, but plastic sleeves (tube) included.
I had a hard time installing mines. Front ones. Rear I remove the plastic plug and use a SS nut and bolts.
Maybe I should have purchase the RokBlokz?
Thank you

The plastic plug will not fit due to the thickness of tuff skins mud flaps, plus the cut out was not meant for the plastic plugs.. slots only.
tuff skins screws were extra long. And thicker. Front fender the Tuff skins screw too long, got stop by inner fender.
No steel mounting brackets, but plastic sleeves (tube) included.
I had a hard time installing mines. Front ones. Rear I remove the plastic plug and use a SS nut and bolts.
Maybe I should have purchase the RokBlokz?
Thank you
Yeah, the plugs don't go through the mudflap. Then just reuse your factory screws and not the ones they sent.

Factory screws some are too short. Due to the thickness of mud flaps , plus fenders are dented in . Making factory screws more flush in the fenders. Picture driver side front fender.
Also the mud flaps sits is low, worried it will get damages off roading & in reversed.
B432C981-1281-41F3-9A84-89B4DE95F305.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Factory screws some are too short. Due to the thickness of mud flaps , plus fenders are dented in . Making factory screws more flush in the fenders. Picture driver side front fender.
Also the mud flaps sits is low, worried it will get damages off roading & in reversed.
B432C981-1281-41F3-9A84-89B4DE95F305.jpeg
If reversing worries you something is wrong. Off-roading would definitely crush them. Did you check the YouTube videos of the install? Were the screws all the same length? They could have sent different lengths. You could also always email them and explain the hardware seems to be incorrect.

I agree with Bird Dog.. Yea they're sometimes nice to have for when you kick up rocks (in my experience) but I have so much more ground clearance now, AND I think it just looks so much better without them

I still have my (stock) mudflaps, if you're willing to pay for shipping and all I'll gladly ship 'em over to you if you REALLY want them :)

Just the rear was done. I tried to put on the front mud flaps yesterday Tuff skins screws too large,and too long. plus the inside plug broke. Screws would strip the holes, plus too long , would not fit . Tuff skins not design for the plugs.
I would NOT buy Tuff skins again. It is a great and strong materials, wrong kind screws, and slots .

Front I will buy from Toyota dealer and get more plugs.
Aloha

Back