• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Elka or King coilovers?

Berserker__taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 SR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
After the big trip I've found the things to tweak and what to keep. The rig did great but I found the OME coilovers just arent foing what I need them to do. I'd like some adjustability in the front suspension and a better ride. Dont get me wrong. The OME coilovers are a great unit and drastically improved ride quality over stock. But it was still a little rougher than I'd like to see on some of the trails we were on even though the coils were specific to my front end weight.
Has anyone ever had experience with the Elka truck coilovers? I'm really digging the construction of these things. Being aluminum is a huge bonus living in a harsh winter area. My other option is KING which I know a lot of people use. Any feedback would be awesome before I drop 1,900 on the front end!

After the big trip I've found the things to tweak and what to keep. The rig did great but I found the OME coilovers just arent foing what I need them to do. I'd like some adjustability in the front suspension and a better ride. Dont get me wrong. The OME coilovers are a great unit and drastically improved ride quality over stock. But it was still a little rougher than I'd like to see on some of the trails we were on even though the coils were specific to my front end weight.
Has anyone ever had experience with the Elka truck coilovers? I'm really digging the construction of these things. Being aluminum is a huge bonus living in a harsh winter area. My other option is KING which I know a lot of people use. Any feedback would be awesome before I drop 1,900 on the front end!

You just can’t go wrong with kings.

But it is your money, whichever ones suits your needs/ budget!

Which OME's are you running?

I literally placed my order for Elkas the other day. They have a bit of a lead time as they are custom built, but they should be here in a few weeks. Having seen both the Kings and Elka up close and in person, both are obviously very high quality. I will add though that I was very impressed with the quality and details in the Elkas and seeing them in person sold me on them. Their methods for solving a few things were pretty clever and for the similar cost as the Kings it looked like I was getting way more with the Elkas.

I will be posting pictures and a review when I get mine soon.

I have the medium duty coils. They work well. Just not the end product I want. I'm pretty much leaning towards the Elka. Definitely let me know what you think once you get them set up!

I'm running the BP-51s and I'm pretty certain the Elkas will be a solid improvement. So that says a lot considering I've been pretty happy with my BP-51s despite a few hiccups.

I'm running the BP-51s and I'm pretty certain the Elkas will be a solid improvement. So that says a lot considering I've been pretty happy with my BP-51s despite a few hiccups.
Mine are Nitrochargers. I've been eying the BP51 as well. But the engineering and attention put into the Elka is amazing.

Mine are Nitrochargers. I've been eying the BP51 as well. But the engineering and attention put into the Elka is amazing.

I think it's better on the Elkas than on the BP-51s. While my BP-51s are pretty comfy offroad, I have had the lower spherical bearing on the driver's coilover fail 3 times. I am getting tired of having to remove and have the bearing replaced.

I think it's better on the Elkas than on the BP-51s. While my BP-51s are pretty comfy offroad, I have had the lower spherical bearing on the driver's coilover fail 3 times. I am getting tired of having to remove and have the bearing replaced.
Yeah that would get old real quick. Thanks for the heads up on that. No reason anyone should have to deal with that 3 times.

How heavy are you running, OP? The default Elka valving is built around a fairly built truck (F&R bumpers, skids, sliders) so if you're close to stock weight or mostly running aluminum armor you may find it quite firm even on the softest setting. I have a set of the 2.5 adjustables and I run as soft as they'll go on the street and only go up 1-2 clicks for pretty fast off-road stuff.

How heavy are you running,
I have a built rig. Full steel ARB front, winch, bed rack, RTT, over 700lb in the rear when bed is loaded. They should be ok. Elka will custom tune them to my exact front and rear axle weights from what I've researched.

I have a built rig. Full steel ARB front, winch, bed rack, RTT, over 700lb in the rear when bed is loaded. They should be ok. Elka will custom tune them to my exact front and rear axle weights from what I've researched.

That is correct. If you call and order directly they will custom set the shocks to your build.

They will, but they won't go softer than default - only harder. One of the shops up here has softer valving custom made but I don't believe Elka will supply it directly due to it not being tested for rollover compliance. Sounds like you should be fine though OP. It really is like magic, especially at high speeds!

@markiemcg I have not. They are still a few weeks out from arriving. I am anxious to get them in as I'm getting over my BP-51's.

I have the Elks 2.5 adjustable with 74 weld UCA. The elka shocks have been amazing. I do mostly desert off-roading. The only bad thing was the wait time. I ordered April of last year and got them in August. I've had them for 5 months now and I'm very pleased. they also went up in price now.

Back