• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Do you have and hate/not hate PCS--Pre-collsion system?

Happy Trails II

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2021 SR DCSB Auto
White
This is one of the nanny features of the new Toyota Tacoma trucks. It is part of the "Toyota Safety Sense P" package that includes also Lane Departure Alert, Automatic High Beam, and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. Page 236 and following in my manual.

Regarding the Pre-collision braking, the manual (p 244) says that when a collision seems extremely high, the brakes will be applied automatically, that is without driver input. This is akin to a self driving feature. Seems it could cause all kinds of issues since there is no regard to what is coming from behind, or can be subject to malfunction and misinterpretation of data coming from the front facing camera and radar. WOW.

So a jackrabbit can pop across the road in front of the vehicle and your brakes get slammed on without your input and the car behind you crashes into you!

What is your on the road experience and opinion of these nanny features of the Tacoma (and other new vehicles)?

Do you turn these features off if you don't want them?

I’ve never had Safety Sense actually apply my brakes. Just a warning ever here and there when a car in front is braking and I’m still on the accelerator. Most of the time it’s an overreaction.

I've never used lane departure warning. For the pre-collision, at least on my 2020, it won't apply the brakes. Just noise and the word brake in the dash. Most of the time I'm surprised when it alerts me since other times when it doesn't I muse to myself that it should have said something there.

I've never had it prompt to brake for a squirrel or darn canadian goose in the road.

I do use dynamic cruise. For the most part I do like it but sometimes wonder what the truck is looking at. Like a vehicle will be in the right lane taking an exit at the truck will start to slow down. It doesn't always do it either. I've used the truck to go to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, and New Mexico I can certainly grumble about it. Since I'm coming from Minnesota to those places, I like it for the long haul days.

TSS saved my ass once, On the highway cruising going 75 i look to my my right and suddenly the truck started breaking hard, there was a jam that happened all of a sudden (6 lanes turned to one all at once) And i had already been driving for 7 hours, nedeless to say my reactions were not so fast, I had to brake because the tss shuts off anywhere under 32mph.

But TSS saved me from ramming a chevy, Im all for it

So a jackrabbit can pop across the road in front of the vehicle and your brakes get slammed on without your input and the car behind you crashes into you!
I don't think it's anywhere near as sensitive as a Jackrabbit being able to set it off. I've only ever had it beep at me a couple times - in those situations I was already braking, but I could feel that it was trying to add more. I have precolision turned on, but on the lowest sensitivity setting.

I leave the lane assist crap off - I drive where I want to, frequently ignoring lines (so long as there are no vehicles occupying the other side of them) so it just bothers me.

Same with the adaptive cruise. 90% of the time I put it into regular cruise mode so that I can maintain a constant speed even with lane changes. I feel like it's just more predictable, especially when speeding back up on the freeway is so slow. However, when I find myself on a one-lane road the adaptive has worked flawlessly.

Don't like it. Frequently comes on as I'm getting ready to pass a turning vehicle (maybe it's my driving style?!?). I'd leave it turned off all the time, but I hate the lights on my dash

These safety features...Pre Collision.....It save my daughters 2019 Tacoma from hitting the car in front of her.. She still doesn’t know why the car in front stop! ...but ...the Pre-Collision put the brakes on before she could react...She is so thankful for this feature! I am glad too....I also own a 2019 Tacoma...

lane departures...I like them too...keeps you alert...

I have No rear sensors...(back-up). Wish I had them... I was reversing in supermarket parking stall , and I did not see the smalll child run behind my Tacoma truck...I heard the Grandfather scream! And I stop...lucky no seriously injures except I knock him down and run over his foot....he was crying and scared..but recover quickly...but I was shaking over this accident...still haunts me...

Those safety features...Save lives....! Remember it is the “NUT” behind the steering wheel that causes the most accidents...lol. And not paying attention all the time...
Aloha

I dont mine it, just wish it wasn't need for the cruise control to work and I could turn it off

Don't use it on ours. It is turned off in ours. We do use adaptive cruise on road trips though.

Last edited:
Lane depart/park assist/pre-collide all disabled here. adaptive cruise turned off when I use it.....automatic dims don't use either.

Unfortunately for the several jack rabbits I have turned into roadkill, the vehicle does not brake for them!

What is your on the road experience and opinion of these nanny features of the Tacoma (and other new vehicles)? Do you turn these features off if you don't want them?
I use the dynamic cruise often, mostly freeway use. I've had the auto braking kick-in twice so far when it didn't need too, mostly cars in front of me making right turns. The lane departure can be annoying in the city, but on long trips where I am tired and there are no rumble strips, it has kept me out of the rhubarb. Blind spot sensors are epic and I love them.

I had the exact same situation as Lava Road described happen, and my sensors kept me from backing over a small child in a busy parking lot. I was parked next to a longer truck and couldn't see around it, nor could my backup camera. Once the backup camera could see around it, the sun was in the wrong spot and I still couldn't see. Next thing I know my senors went crazy and I hit the brakes, just then in my camera I saw a small child emerge out of the sunlight inches from my bumper.

I dont mine it, just wish it wasn't need for the cruise control to work and I could turn it off
You can set manual old school cruise control! To disable dynamic cruise and enable standard cruise, you need to push and hold the CC button on the end of the stick for about 2 or 3 seconds (until the dash notifies you). You'll have to do it every-time you restart your vehicle. I learned this after accumulating too much ice on the radar and having the dynamic CC disable CC during a long trip.

My ‘18 only beeps. It doesn’t have the auto break. I always love when it starts beep at stupid stuff. Like coming to the peak of a hill and the sun hits it or the reflection off of a guardrail or a parked car on the side of the road. The wife’s’18 Camry has the auto break feature and it works pretty good. Especially when trying to park the car in a garage that the car barely fits in. The car will stop when I get too close to the wall. Haven’t been able to test it on the road or highway, thankfully.

My ‘18 only beeps. It doesn’t have the auto break. I always love when it starts beep at stupid stuff. Like coming to the peak of a hill and the sun hits it or the reflection off of a guardrail or a parked car on the side of the road. The wife’s’18 Camry has the auto break feature and it works pretty good. Especially when trying to park the car in a garage that the car barely fits in. The car will stop when I get too close to the wall. Haven’t been able to test it on the road or highway, thankfully.
Have you ever approached something rapidly or any close calls? I noticed that's when it brakes.

Have you ever approached something rapidly or any close calls? I noticed that's when it brakes.
I’ve had a couple of close calls around town when some decides to make a last second turn and they jam on the brakes. For what ever reason Toyota didn’t do the auto brake in the ‘18, just the warning. At least that’s how it is on my SR5

I’ve had a couple of close calls around town when some decides to make a last second turn and they jam on the brakes. For what ever reason Toyota didn’t do the auto brake in the ‘18, just the warning. At least that’s how it is on my SR5
My '18 Sport has the auto brake.

Interesting that they did the auto brake on some models and not others.
Yeah it is. The way I found out is had cruise on and car passed me n cut back in n bout hit my nose on the steering wheel when it braked.

Yeah it is. The way I found out is had cruise on and car passed me n cut back in n bout hit my nose on the steering wheel when it braked.
I wonder if that was the laser guided cruise control that slowed you down. 🤔

You can set manual old school cruise control! To disable dynamic cruise and enable standard cruise, you need to push and hold the CC button on the end of the stick for about 2 or 3 seconds (until the dash notifies you). You'll have to do it every-time you restart your vehicle. I learned this after accumulating too much ice on the radar and having the dynamic CC disable CC during a long trip.
thanks, tried it out today

I wonder if that was the laser guided cruise control that slowed you down. 🤔
It was. Now when I turn on CC I hold the ON button for a couple seconds and it goes into 'regular' CC without the sensor.

I'm a bit of a tech lover. The auto braking feature has engaged once. I was traveling about 75 with the radar cruise activated. Some fool in a small black car was jetting around the lanes, cutting in and out. He crossed 3 lanes into mine and was less that two feet from my front bumper. While I was watching him act the fool, the auto braking still responded much faster than I could ever hope to. Accident avoided.

I also enjoy the radar controlled cruise. Keeps a good safe distance.

Back