• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

T3G Feedback and questions about Tacoma3G.com - How can our community and website be better?

I was reading through a thread about people asking about meetups this morning. Is there a way to integrate a calendar into the site to allow for this? Even just a communal Tacoma3G Google Calendar might work, you could link a thread into there to discuss the planning.

I was reading through a thread about people asking about meetups this morning. Is there a way to integrate a calendar into the site to allow for this? Even just a communal Tacoma3G Google Calendar might work, you could link a thread into there to discuss the planning.
This actually is possible. Do we have enough demand for it here? It would suck to have it always empty.

This actually is possible. Do we have enough demand for it here? It would suck to have it always empty.
Since there are no metrics currently, I don't know the answer to that. If it's implemented and the calendar gets too busy (trying to be optimistic), perhaps a region/state filter/option.

After we get past Covid I fully intend to organize some TG3 meetups in the Pacific Northwest.

I'll take the task on myself. I'll start a new thread, and get a mock one up sometime today (or tomorrow). I'll toss together some suggestions for how to use it. Easier for me to play on a GCal than for Tyler to implement it on this site.

Since there are no metrics currently, I don't know the answer to that. If it's implemented and the calendar gets too busy (trying to be optimistic), perhaps a region/state filter/option.
Yeah, I was thinking match it up with the Regions that are setup on this site already.

I'll take the task on myself. I'll start a new thread, and get a mock one up sometime today (or tomorrow). I'll toss together some suggestions for how to use it. Easier for me to play on a GCal than for Tyler to implement it on this site.

Yeah, I was thinking match it up with the Regions that are setup on this site already.
That would be cool. When I get can to it (few months), I’ll get a calendar system on the site if it’s working out.

This isn't an important update but I'm trying my best to get the new design out because it is much simpler, loads much faster, but ultimately looks pretty much the same. Not that anyone has complaints about the current design other than my nerd-ass.

As I said last time I posted about the redesign, I'm listening to your feedback so I'm aiming to change as little as possible with the general layout of the design while still making some technical (coding, speed, simplicity) updates. Basically, I'm trying to make some behind the scenes that makes the site a little more straightforward to use (some people join and don't know how to use it), faster because I've rewritten and cleaned up my code, and slightly more modern.

Here's a preview to show you the basic layout. The logo, the empty header, and the colors are all placeholders, so ignore that. All of the original colors will carry over. The logo will be reworked. And the empty header will probably have that 'members' photos' block in it (where you currently see the pictures of the trucks at the top of the site).

If you're looking at this thinking "it doesn't look much different than what we have now", that's probably a good thing, because that's what you guys wanted. I'll update again when I have some colors done, the header complete, and the footer closer to how it currently is.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 11.43.07.png

As I said last time I posted about the redesign, I'm listening to your feedback so I'm aiming to change as little as possible with the general layout of the design while still making some technical (coding, speed, simplicity) updates. Basically, I'm trying to make some behind the scenes that makes the site a little more straightforward to use (some people join and don't know how to use it), faster because I've rewritten and cleaned up my code, and slightly more modern.

Here's a preview to show you the basic layout. The logo, the empty header, and the colors are all placeholders, so ignore that. All of the original colors will carry over. The logo will be reworked. And the empty header will probably have that 'members' photos' block in it (where you currently see the pictures of the trucks at the top of the site).

If you're looking at this thinking "it doesn't look much different than what we have now", that's probably a good thing, because that's what you guys wanted. I'll update again when I have some colors done, the header complete, and the footer closer to how it currently is.

Love it!!! Kinda really digging that color scheme too. Makes it super easy to read

Love it!!! Kinda really digging that color scheme too. Makes it super easy to read
If you guys like this color scheme I can just keep it as one of the options you can choose. I've been using the site like this for a while now and while the color scheme is just for testing, it has grown on me too.

I dig it. I'm a sucker for simplicity.

It's been a while since I've mentioned the T3G 2.0 website redesign but I'm actually still working on it.

Based on your feedback (which I agree with), I have scrapped just about everything that was previewed in this thread or in the feedback thread. The current iteration of the redesign is not something I've shared at all yet but I should have something ready to preview soon. Then, based on your feedback once again, I'll revise things where necessary.

So... stay tuned. :cool:

Wanted to add:
I'm really digging the topography look in some of the mockups you've shown. I like the direction you're headed in.

Also:
I'm not sure if you've trashed the TRD-style T3G logo but I thought it was very clean and classy and would most definitely slap a sticker of that on my rig! If you're not going with that idea any longer, I think that logo on a sticker would be a great option.

Wanted to add:
I'm really digging the topography look in some of the mockups you've shown. I like the direction you're headed in.

Also:
I'm not sure if you've trashed the TRD-style T3G logo but I thought it was very clean and classy and would most definitely slap a sticker of that on my rig! If you're not going with that idea any longer, I think that logo on a sticker would be a great option.
Appreciate it!

I have scrapped most of what is shown in this thread based on feedback from everyone. However, I enjoy making these designs so I’m actually going to keep some of the previews you just saw as bonus options, if people want to use them.

About the logo… I like that logo a lot and I think you and I are in the minority. But yes, if it doesn’t get used, a sticker is a good idea.

And to everyone that might be reading this because the thread just got bumped:

It might seem like I gave up on all of this due to how slow my progress and updates are. I didn’t though. Coding / designing these new styles is actually how I spend most of my free time at night. It just takes forever to get things right because I’m overly meticulous with shit that no one else will ever notice.

Light mode!?

larry david youre a monster GIF by Saturday Night Live

I do like the sidebar, though. Especially with the main page having plenty of unused real estate. I would always hide in when in a thread, as this site it very picture heavy.

Light mode!?

larry david youre a monster GIF by Saturday Night Live

I do like the sidebar, though. Especially with the main page having plenty of unused real estate. I would always hide in when in a thread, as this site it very picture heavy.
The light mode part of that screenshot is mostly because it makes it easier for me to work on the structural stuff (like the sidebar). Doing that with a pretty design is kind of distracting. I like working on a plain design until I’m ready to give it color.

The light mode part of that screenshot is mostly because it makes it easier for me to work on the structural stuff (like the sidebar). Doing that with a pretty design is kind of distracting. I like working on a plain design until I’m ready to give it color.
I understand it. I think I just forget how much color makes a difference, the white made it look really old-school. This site has been Black/Red ever since the day I joined. Seeing your post made me remember I can change the colors client side... looks very different every time I load it up now.

I understand it. I think I just forget how much color makes a difference, the white made it look really old-school. This site has been Black/Red ever since the day I joined. Seeing your post made me remember I can change the colors client side... looks very different every time I load it up now.
Yeah, there’s 7 colors people can currently choose from. 14 total if you count the dark ones. I always wonder if people realize that or of the majority have never noticed it’s possible.

Yeah, there’s 7 colors people can currently choose from. 14 total if you count the dark ones. I always wonder if people realize that or of the majority have never noticed it’s possible.
I'd be willing to bet the majority do not notice it. I don't think it's anything you've done with the site, though. I'd also wager that those are the ones that would barely care if it was pointed out. I noticed it immediately when I first logged on; it's actually quite unique, and cool, for a forum feature.

I think the only way to make it more obvious is to do some kind of tutorial. And please don't do that, because that is frustrating and I even hate mentioning that awful idea.

I honestly prefer dark mode myself 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Ok, I think the basic skeleton of the updated design will end up something like this. This screenshot is just an example of how the colors and structure are supposed to be very similar to the current design. (Again, the reason I'm trying to update the design is because the old current one has a lot of messy code, so rewriting it will allow me to implement new features more efficiently, with less bugs, etc.)

Not shown in the screenshot is header area (top of the website where the logo goes) and some other truck images and such (because this is just a rough draft).

eD7C9Ux.jpeg

Last edited:
  • I • Lurker
    • 0 total upvotes on your account
  • II • Bronze
    • 1 total upvotes on your account
  • III • Silver
    • 50 total upvotes on your account
  • IV • Gold
    • 100 total upvotes on your account
  • V • Platinum
    • 250 total upvotes on your account
  • VI • Diamond
    • 500 total upvotes on your account
  • VII • Aficionado
    • 1,000 total upvotes on your account
  • VIII • Connoisseur
    • 2,500 total upvotes on your account
  • IX • Paragon
    • 5,000 total upvotes on your account
  • X • Mythical
    • 10,000 total upvotes on your account

:unsure:
I'm taking a little break from reply to all the private messages I have because my brain is fried right now.

But I've been getting some interesting suggestions for little perks a subscribing/donating member could have, which I didn't originally think anyone would be interested in.

An idea is to allow those members to just write whatever they want where these ranks are normally displayed in your posts.

On the topic of the ranks, they're pretty boring are they not? There has to be something more fun to name them if I just think hard enough!

I'm taking a little break from reply to all the private messages I have because my brain is fried right now.

But I've been getting some interesting suggestions for little perks a subscribing/donating member could have, which I didn't originally think anyone would be interested in.

An idea is to allow those members to just write whatever they want where these ranks are normally displayed in your posts.

On the topic of the ranks, they're pretty boring are they not? There has to be something more fun to name them if I just think hard enough!
You could do it like the Trims 🤣

• I • 2WD SR
  • II • 4WD SR
  • III • SR5
  • IV • SPORT
  • V • OFFROAD
  • VI • LIMITED
  • VII • PRO

You could do it like the Trims 🤣

• I • 2WD SR
  • II • 4WD SR
  • III • SR5
  • IV • SPORT
  • V • OFFROAD
  • VI • LIMITED
  • VII • PRO
Similarly, I was thinking about the stereotypical order of doing mods.

- debaged
- pro grille
- lights
- add a leaf
- 33s
- armored
- bed rack

And so on. But the order would be so arbitrary that this wouldn’t even make sense. 🤯

Similarly, I was thinking about the stereotypical order of doing mods. - debaged - pro grille - lights - add a leaf - 33s - armored - bed rack And so on. But the order would be so arbitrary that this wouldn’t even make sense. 🤯

I'm glad you took my post as satire, because I posted it that way :ROFLMAO:

Back