• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Electrical Designing a Mod for Accessory mode, let's stop that door ding!

tacombeard

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
HALP ME! I can't stand this door ding anymore!

1659036889784.png

OK, glad I got that off my chest.

Anchovy and Me

A beauty, a bonnie, and a joy forever ... I just purchased a 2022 Tacoma TRD Off-Road and I couldn't be happier.
I rolled off the lot with 4 miles on the odometer, the lowest I've ever seen in person, and what a pleasure to drive, but I don't need to tell you all about that. My 3 year old wants to name it Anchovy, but I haven't officially named the truck yet, we're only just getting to know each other.

The Problem

The only skid mark on this gem of a vehicle is the INCESSANT door dinging. I've spent a bit of time searching for solutions, and I don't like what I've found. The long and short of it seems that it's not possible to keep the door open and in Accessory mode without this ding-dong going off worse than a clutter of barking spiders on chili night.

There's a few threads that talk about this briefly, but it seems that owners either live with it, or they get crazy and break off their ding-dong and well ... that just sounds painful. I've also seen some owners remove their door ajar sensor but both these options defeat a lot of the purpose of some of the modern features I like about this truck.

The Plan

I'd like to propose another solution. I want to create some sort of plug-and-play solution that can be produced to fix the issue, basically interrupt a few things inline (like the door sensor, the ignition state, CAN codes, etc) and so when in {scenario A}, hide the fact that the door is open to the car, but in {scenario B}, forward that on to the ECU so it does the OEM thing. I don't yet have all the details of this plan worked out, but it's annoying enough that I'm going to find some solution.

About Me

In the past for the day job I've worked with the J1939 CAN bus spec for large implements, and I have the tools for CAN bus debugging. I've designed custom circuit boards from scratch, and designed custom wire harnesses for both one-off R&D projects as well as for production applications.

But between the 1st kid and the 2nd in the oven (under a month away), I don't have a ton of time to pour into this.

About You

This is where I'm asking for some help. I need a lot more information to fix the problem, but I don't have infinite time to throw at the problem.
Could you guys help me collect a few thing?

I need:
  • Links to threads talking about this problem, the more the better. Links from this forum and more
  • A full wiring diagram for any parts I need to work on, the more info here the better
  • Part numbers and sources to purchase duplicate wire harnesses for testing
  • Connector part numbers so I can buy extras and solder on some "mad science" wires without putting my truck out of commission
  • Does anyone have any dead / damaged components they'd be willing to send me? I'd love to do a teardown on the board that houses the ding speaker
And the last thing I'd want is a bit of a long shot, but if anyone has access to an OEM programmer that is used in a Toyota service center, I would REALLY love to borrow it so I can sniff the codes it sends when setting certain values. I feel like there's some extra codes and PIDs that aren't mapped in things like Carista and the OBD2 apps that could be useful, but I'd need to sniff the wire while the real programmer is setting the values to really know what's going on (without risking damage to my own truck).

So, anyone willing to lend a hand? I'll update this post and thread with more info as I go along.

I’ve disabled it for the seatbelts. But the door open chime is rather annoying.

Won't this also keep the lights coming on and off when you open and close the door and will the alarm not go off if someone opens it?

Last edited:
Techstream. Open Door Warning. On/Off. Would this do it?
Rd9l1XCh.jpg

So depending on if it's the driver's side door, how about wiring it like the passenger side smart key from the earlier Tacomas?
Just extend the passenger side front button to the driver side. To the truck, it's like the Driver's Side Door is never opened. But when you do, it will activate the lights since it thinks the passenger side door opens. Something like that. The smart sensor door handle was just extended from the driver side to the passenger side to get that over there since it wasn't standard.

Won't this also keep the lights coming on and off when you open and close the door?
Yes.

This doesn't work? Also seems like some people snapped off the speaker for it from the cluster.

I recently learned you can disable the door chime. Let's say if you wanted to listen to music with your doors open, but don't want a beeping sound letting you know the door is open. I do this while getting ready to go snowboarding or cycling so it's annoying to hear the beeping when I'm trying to get amped.

Heres how to do it:
  1. Press the ignition once to turn on the stereo.
  2. Open Door.
  3. Quickly press and release the black rubber button on the side of the body panel that the door closes against.
I guess it tricks the system to think the door was closed. Only issue, this really only works with the driver door. I haven't been able to get it to work while other doors are open.

Another option:
  1. Press ignition button twice (this will also enable all electronic features like climate control and windows) but will disable the chime with all doors open.

Is it the driver side door that causes the dinging? Some have said opening the rear will stop it.

"Mixed results: Pressing the ignition button without starting once, beep continues - with or without FOB in truck. Press twice for "Accessories" opening the back seat door stops the beep with FOB in or out of the truck."

Seems like some things work for some and not for others. Could be if their lights are on or off. Some report leaving your lights off will not trigger it.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Found on that other forum. Might be the simplest. So you would just make an in-line harness. Then add a button to turn it on and off. Lights wouldn't be auto while this is enabled/chime off. Then just find a clean button to put on the plastic. Clever hidden spot. Could be flush mounted to the bottom of the door panels.

"A thing I did that I thought I'd throw out for your viewing pleasure. This allows you disable the chime when the doors are open while the key is in the ignition (acc position). I have a'17 SR5 access cab, I assume a DC is somewhat similar. Only the driver door triggers the chime. There is a rubber covered plunger switch on the back door that is pushed when the front door is closed. Remove the interior door panel and locate the plunger switch. There is a yellow wire coming from it, cut it and splice a two conductor wire onto it, one conductor to the switch, one to the wire that goes to the harness. Then feed your new wire thru the rubber boot into the cab and run along the sill ( the sill trim pops off easy ) up behind the left side cubby. I ordered a switch from CH4x4."

Been a while since I pull that one out. Is this what the back of the switch looks like? Finding that connector/terminal might be a tough one. I'm sure you could find it as general and not as Toyota specific. But if it's just that single blade terminal, you could just use a standard single pin terminal to stick it on there since it will be hidden behind the panels. Might just be the most cost effective way.

Attachments

• IMG_20190330_125721531[1].jpg
    IMG_20190330_125721531[1].jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20190401_130405141[1].jpg
    IMG_20190401_130405141[1].jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 51Hn0FXAHOL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    51Hn0FXAHOL._AC_SL1024_.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm excited to read through this all in detail.

I have tried most of the methods listed here, though I'll check a few methods again with the lights off to see if that makes a difference.

I know I can turn the ignition on, but I don't need all the extras running, I just want the radio on. I think the idea of having an additional button is an OK solution, but I'd rather have that tied to a relay that does the switching for me. I'm thinking if I open the door and hit the ignition button once, I want some relay to know I want the door ding disconnected.

Also it'd be nice if I could actually make a custom harness I didn't have to run through the door, I'm thinking I'd trace that back to where it plugs in somewhere else, and make an adapter harness that's much shorter (and likely has more pins) but can be installed without taking the door apart.

Also, that CH4x4 site is pretty cool, I'll be looking through there, and ordering a few switches just for fun.

I've been a member here for all of about five minutes, and already found a thread I love! LOL I detest chimes, alarms, dings, dongs, and ringalings of all kinds. I'm hoping to disable them all in the new truck I'm hoping to have very soon. I've done the door button thing on previous trucks, but that still leaves the seat belt alarm to deal with.

Is the speaker under the dash easy to find on 2022 trucks? I've learned that a little squirt of super glue in the little hole on the speaker reduces the sound by 95%, which is easy to live with.

Back